• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Bill will Increase dwelling distance from 500 to 1000 feet

Be warned, this bill died last year without a peep, and when i got ready to do some footwork, I was asked to back down. i did speak with the rep, who told me it was filed due to a local resident complaining about hunting near her property(even though it was well outside the 500ft line) for birds with shotguns.

Well if she doesn't like bird hunting...three or four cats on or near her property should take care of the bird population better than a shotgun. [devil]

This will kill all hunting in my area. I think last years mass. wildlife magazine did a story on how to determine hunting areas using google earth and with more and more homes being built many would have hunt in the western part of the state. Dam dems always trying to squeeze hunters and gun owners.

Good! Lets shut down hunting in assachusetts all together. In a few years the residents will be BEGGING people to hunt, and maybe PAY us instead of charge us to thin the herds. When they can't let their kids stand waiting for the school bus without coyotes stalking them, can't drive to work without hitting a deer, or walk on a lawn or soccer field without slipping in goose shirt, they might re think all this.

The places I most like to hunt with my buddies wouldn't be affected by a doubling of the dwelling proximity law, as we like to get way out in the field far from homes and roads. Still if this passed it would certainly limit some of the sweet areas we trek through on the Cape. Is there any update on this?

ETA: Well it looks like all posted links are dead and I haven't heard squat about it since, so I'm guessing we're ok for the time being.

Last edited:
So what happened with this? I'm assuming the original bill died, did they reintroduce this? It was a year between posts.

So what happened with this? I'm assuming the original bill died, did they reintroduce this? It was a year between posts.

I suspect that this is or will be a perpetual bill. Probably dead (like most everything) for this session, but to keep an eye on it for future sessions.

Good! Lets shut down hunting in assachusetts all together. In a few years the residents will be BEGGING people to hunt, and maybe PAY us instead of charge us to thin the herds. When they can't let their kids stand waiting for the school bus without coyotes stalking them, can't drive to work without hitting a deer, or walk on a lawn or soccer field without slipping in goose shirt, they might re think all this.

You dream.

If it gets so bad that the deer are roadblocks, and the 'yotes are stalking little Timmy on the way to school, the cry will not be, "Bring back hunting!", but "The .gov has to protect us."

Back
Top Bottom