• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Bedford USPSA Rifle match

It's kinda like watching everyone eating lobsters and I can't understand how they love it so much. Maybe I'll catch the bug some day soon. Regardless- the NB team knows how to host great matches.

Nice vids guys! Mike, your rifle looks like it does not move a bit when fired. Some good work on that one eh?

It's kinda like watching everyone eating lobsters and I can't understand how they love it so much. Maybe I'll catch the bug some day soon. Regardless- the NB team knows how to host great matches.

Ahhh you just don't like the big noise and you're afraid you are going to bruise your shoulder and ruin your serve. [pot]

Nice vids guys! Mike, your rifle looks like it does not move a bit when fired. Some good work on that one eh?

This one is actually the harsher of the 2 I have. Its a 16" Lothar Walthar barrel Carbine gas system, rifle length recoil. But the gas port is .063 and with an adjustable gas block turned down, it is a pretty smooth gun to shoot and the SJC titan brake works extremely well. When you play the videos in slow motion, you can see the recoil caused by the reciprocation of the heavy carrier. My 18" rifle gas system, with the lightened carrier is much smoother and you see very little recoil from the BCG

Ahhh you just don't like the big noise and you're afraid you are going to bruise your shoulder and ruin your serve. [pot]

It's hard for him to shoot a rifle that is taller than he is

We all have different preferences in the games we play.

I said shooting sport, not fashion show.

That said, if I shot a match with borrowed guns, I'd probably enjoy it. Just not enough to spend thousand$ on old guns.

C'mon jar - break out those chaps you've been hiding from all of us!

I didn't want to mention that game that can not be spoken. Lugnut is very sensitive about that.

Ahh damn it.... I just love you guys. You still make me LMAO. That's reason enough to pick up the long gun... even if it's too long, and join in on the fun! [rolleyes]

Your dad loves 5.11 stuff... holidays with you guys must be hilarious. Would they even consider visiting you in the land of hell?

5.11 pants have saved the holidays, no more unbuttoning your pants after pigging out. The expandable waistband now hides your shame. It now required dress code after the unfortunate "misunderstanding" a few years back at Denny's. That really put a damper on the annual X-Mas dinner

Final changes made and posted. Thanks again for all the kind words and messages. The thanks go to the entire New Bedford crew, which I am proud to be a member of.

Our last match of the year will be a Steel Challenge match on 12/12. I will start a new thread on that shortly.

Got one video before the camera battery died.

A little slow but a lot of fun!
Looking at the vid now, I should have made my reload when moving to the second port from the rear on the right rather than making it while static and transitioning the gun from L to R.

Sorry it took so long to post it. Thanks again guys for your hard work this season. You really run a first-class act at NB!

Oh... and Merry Christmas everybody!

http://www.youtube.com/user/whitey627?feature=mhum#p/a/u/0/3zZK6DRiAwM

Last edited:
Got one video before the camera battery died.

A little slow but a lot of fun!
Looking at the vid now, I should have made my reload when moving to the second port from the rear on the right rather than making it while static and transitioning the gun from L to R.

Sorry it took so long to post it. Thanks again guys for your hard work this season. You really run a first-class act at NB!

Oh... and Merry Christmas everybody!

http://www.youtube.com/user/whitey627?feature=mhum#p/a/u/0/3zZK6DRiAwM

This was an interesting stage, and I meant to talk plans on here because I saw it shot several different ways. If I remember right: I shot the front half from only one side. At the start, I backed up a step to hit the targets on one side, then forward a bit to hit the opposite side, then up to the front and shot both sides from one position, turned and ran to the back ports going left to right at the back because it's easier to run that way without going near the 180.

I saw a bunch of people making the circle like you did, but it doesn't seem like it would be faster.

I'm a obviously a righty. So for me it was safest to first shoot the ports on the left and shoot the ports on right while moving back toward the right barrel. Its much easier to stay away from breaking the 180 - especially when we are shooting so close to it on a stage like this. It is also easier to keep the muzzle headed up range (and close to on target when entering the shooting box) when it was time to run to the barrel from the last port.
I didn't see any benefit to running round the clock (up the left and back down the right), like I saw many do, as we are using long guns. I wanted to move straight up and straight back to try and minimize the amount of distance I had to travel.

Why is shooting one side on the way up and the other on the way back faster than shooting them all on the way up and then running? Also, why finish on the left port instead of the right? Isn't it easier to run toward the strong side?

The stage had a lot of stops on it. it really didn't matter how you shot it. The key was getting the gun up and running and getting into the ports well

I'll post a comparison video of matt J and I

Why is shooting one side on the way up and the other on the way back faster than shooting them all on the way up and then running? Also, why finish on the left port instead of the right? Isn't it easier to run toward the strong side?

Faster is a relative term depending on who is shooting the stage and what they are comfortable doing. What is faster for me may not be faster for you and vice-versa - but you already know that. I was trying to balance quickness, with comfort, and most importantly safety. I am not well versed with rifle shooting in action matches. I find it to be much more challenging.

For me, I thought it would be quicker to shoot one side on the way up and one side back rather than transition 180 three times or travel the extra distance moving around the clock. Straight up and straight back was the shortest distance and my rifle was already close to the ports I was moving to.

I agree it is easier to run toward your strong side. But, for me, it is much easier to retreat to the barrel on my strong side and keep the muzzle up range than it is to retreat to my weak side. I didn't feel as comfortable retreating to the left barrel first. I found it fairly easy, since there was no reloading involved, to run from right barrel to the left with the rifle in my right hand pointed up range. If a reload would have been necessary for me at that point in the stage I would have gone left barrel to right barrel instead.

Too bad we all couldn't shoot the stages two or three times each hugh??

I am interested to see what Mike and Matt came up with.

Last edited:
where matt got me was at the end, getting to and setting up in the 2nd box

That is a great vid mike - you tech show off!

I can see why you guys were at the top of the results. Much more explosive in and out of positions with faster shooting. Although effective for Matt, I would have felt very awkward moving to the left barrel like he did.

Let me watch again...

Looks like matt went straight up then back stopping to grab the two ports closest to the barrels. You kind of did a combo of what I did and transitioning 180 for a port. Geez his AK doesn't move either... I gotta do somethign to help reduce the recoil on mine (where's dan? I need to talk to him [laugh])

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom