• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Bedford to receive $950,000 for gunshot detection system

If the system actually proved to be useful to LE, don't you think they'd be all over the news touting how wonderful it is, trying to justify the million dollar price tag?

Yup. In other words it's working just great, in the liberal mindset.

Hey, look on the bright side: as far as our gun rights go, this is a fairly benign approach. It may be yet another case of politicians thrusting their hands down our pants, but at least they're only grabbing at our wallets and not our holsters.

And what happens when a car backfires?

My bet is these systems have the ability to discern the difference...

That said, I fail to see their value. By the time the police show up, the deed will still have been done, and the perps probably won't be hanging around to get caught.

-Mike

Speaking of the iphone... there was a segment on the local classic rock station the other morning about some app that will tell you when police cars are in your vicinity. I forgot what it's called, but they had listeners confirm the locations and it worked pretty accurately. I don't like iphones, but I thought that was both neat and maybe geared towards criminals. What do you think?

I forget the name of that app but I think it works from updated information from people who input the data when they see a cop. It mostly works for highway traps and interstate drivers.

It works with GPS; so when you drive by a cop on the highway you just hit a button on the app and if more than 3 people hit the button around the same area it will ping on the app for other people to see. I don't think it would work well for urban areas. The app might be called Trapster or something like that.

EDIT: The app is called Trapster and has come a long way since I remember it.
http://itunes.apple.com/app/trapster-speed-trap-alerts/id290629277?mt=8

Last edited:
Effing ridiculous. "Within a square mile"?? Are you kidding me? What a colossal waste of our money.

How about locking the losers up and keeping them locked up instead of playing catch and release all the time.

I THINK the one sq mile refrence is that the microphones pick up sounds within one sqare mile and can detect within that square mile. Being as the city is like 11 miles long and only a couple miles wide, and Im sure theyre not doing Sasaquin or the extreme south end, so who knows.. I still say just hire more LEOs to actually patrol those areas and make the laws for ILLEGAL gun ownership and crime with a gun like that alot more severe.

Boston City Councilor Rob Consalvo was the main push behind "Shot spotter" in Boston. Rob is a mini- Menino. If I recall correctly, there are at least two instances where Shot Spotter has resulted in an arrest and gun confiscation. We've had Shot Spotter for several years. If it were an outstanding performer, I think we'd be reading about it's success in deterring crime. There is no indication that gun crime in Boston is down as a result of "Shot Spotter." In fact, the numbers are increasing.
Rob touts the implementation of Shot Spotter technology on his resume as proof he is worth his $87,500.00 a year salary.
Best Regards.

Woops there goes another gun shot, I can tell you with a fair amount of certainty that it came from Durfee St, Westlawn HP, Blue Meadows HP, Ruth St, South first St, or Weld Sq. Where's my million? This might work if they could also develope HeroinSpotter to be deployed in tandem with Shotspotter.

[bs2]

I THINK the one sq mile refrence is that the microphones pick up sounds within one sqare mile and can detect within that square mile. Being as the city is like 11 miles long and only a couple miles wide, and Im sure theyre not doing Sasaquin or the extreme south end, so who knows.. I still say just hire more LEOs to actually patrol those areas and make the laws for ILLEGAL gun ownership and crime with a gun like that alot more severe.

+ 1,000,000

I moved out of New Bedford a dozen years ago when coming home to my wife I saw 10+ cruisers and 3 amberlamps (ha) on the corner leading up to the house. As I got closer and was directed to turn by a LEO I saw a sheet covered body. This was maybe 1/4 mile from my house. When I went into the house my wife said it sounded like crazy fireworks a little while ago. I said that's it we're out of here. It certainly hasn't improved and it really is a shame. Lots of good people there.

They supposedly can distinguish between the two.

It can. It can also, usually, distinguish back fires too. If you listen closely, fireworks sound different than gun shots. There is a sort of frying bacon sound for about one second after fireworks go off. You can hear it with the ear and Shotspotter can tell the difference too. It's pretty interesting technology. Whether or not it will prevent crimes, I don't know. It certainly can be useful in prosecuting them later on.

Back
Top Bottom