New Bedford to receive $950,000 for gunshot detection system

http://bostonherald.com/news/region...ot_detection_system/srvc=home&position=recent

NEW BEDFORD — The city’s Police Department will analyze crime statistics to determine where to place acoustic sensors that could help officers investigate and solve cases involving gunfire, reports the Standard-Times.

The department will receive $950,000 in federal funds to install ShotSpotter GLS technology, which is designed to pinpoint the location of a gunshot within one square mile of its sensors.

The technology produces data on where and when shots have been fired, and can contact police dispatchers before they receive 911 calls.
U.S. Rep. Barney Frank included an earmark for the system in the $447 billion omnibus spending bill that cleared the U.S. House of Representatives and Senate. The federal budget contains thousands of earmarks.

Read the full story at the Standard-Times.

I guess I don't understand how knowing what direction a shot was fired allows you to discover WHO fired it.

I'm guessing that criminals and gang bangers don't gather for their brass after a drive by.

I'm also guessing that bullets leave holes in doors, walls, windows, etc allowing you to figure out trajectory, origin, etc.

But what do I know.

The shot spotter in Springfield picks up crap all the time and PD has to respond. It's just a horrible mis-allocation of resources.

It's funny, I would have thought the tough gun laws here in MA would have made it more difficult for the criminals to get their LTC-A permits.

That's one big flippin pin.

Remember in grammar school when they made you diagram sentences and you thought it was useless? It's not. [wink]

The shot is within 1 square mile of the device. They're not specifying the accuracy of the finder.

Last edited:
Boston has had that system in place for a few years already and it hasn't helped solve a single crime. But they have located several contractors using nail guns and ram sets.
[rofl]

Now, while I feel that the shot spotter system is garbage, it could be adapted to be quite effective. A similar system called the HALO acoustic fire location system is used in Iraq and Afghanistan to locate mortar/rpg fire. It can pickup the sound of a mortar leaving the tube, generate a gunnery solution accurate to within 50m, and transmit the data to an artillery battery fast enough for them to get rounds in the air before the mortar even hits the ground. Something like that might have a greater impact on the crime rate in the area.

Ahhh, artillery can be so fun sometimes, lol.

Now, while I feel that the shot spotter system is garbage, it could be adapted to be quite effective. A similar system called the HALO acoustic fire location system is used in Iraq and Afghanistan to locate mortar/rpg fire. It can pickup the sound of a mortar leaving the tube, generate a gunnery solution accurate to within 50m, and transmit the data to an artillery battery fast enough for them to get rounds in the air before the mortar even hits the ground. Something like that might have a greater impact on the crime rate in the area.

Ahhh, artillery can be so fun sometimes, lol.

[laugh2][rofl2][rofl2][rofl2]

Sorry but I'm lost!
How many crimes were prevented or solved using this new high fangled million dollar electrical device again?[rofl][rofl]

I'm curious to know how this is working out. Crime down? [thinking][rolleyes]

Anyone have any info?

Well, apparently they have resorted to teaching EMT skills to high schoolers.. I think it's brilliant that they are teaching them to treat their own gunshot wounds, so they can just hide immediately, instead of having the cops, and EMS show up before they refuse treatment.

Heres a thought I dont think I saw yet... IF Shotspotter detects a round fired, and no one responds... does it do any good? All the techno geek stuff in the world wont stop criminals if the PD is chasing barking dogs, kids who wont go to school, and ticketting cars downtown. There are only so many good guys in the city to go chase the bad guys. What good does the system do if no one is able to respond, other than say.. ya.. thats where the perp was when the shot went off.

Heres a thought I dont think I saw yet... IF Shotspotter detects a round fired, and no one responds... does it do any good? All the techno geek stuff in the world wont stop criminals if the PD is chasing barking dogs, kids who wont go to school, and ticketting cars downtown. There are only so many good guys in the city to go chase the bad guys. What good does the system do if no one is able to respond, other than say.. ya.. thats where the perp was when the shot went off.

Yup, this right here.

Back
Top Bottom