New Acquisitions for March 2007

I was hoping to be first but UPS came and left with no RRA upper for me yet. [sad2] Its supposed to be here this week or next.

Chiming in !
I brought home a nice Gewehr 98 today.
1917/1920 double date Mauser Oberndorf.
It's matching except the bolt.
Yes I know, I owe some pices; even for the last Feb acquisitions.
Gotta get this camera working!

Here are my 2 new ones

The first one (the ugly one) is a Chinese SKS. I was told that it was a vet bring back from Vietnam. It has no import marks on it and from the light pitting and bluing wear on the gun it does look like it spent some time in the jungle. All the #'s match exept the bolt.

The second one id a Norinco SKS, just your typical SKS. I just didn't have one from China yet.

DSC00717.jpg

Here are my 2 new ones

The first one (the ugly one) is a Chinese SKS. I was told that it was a vet bring back from Vietnam. It has no import marks on it and from the light pitting and bluing wear on the gun it does look like it spent some time in the jungle. All the #'s match exept the bolt.

The second one id a Norinco SKS, just your typical SKS. I just didn't have one from China yet.

DSC00717.jpg

Nothing ugly about it to me.[wink] What does it have for markings? There must be something indicating manufacturer.
Compare it with the info here: http://www.simonov.net/uberid.htm and please let me know. The chances of it being an actual bring back SKS are pretty rare but you never know. An arsenal stamp on the receiver will tell. Some like a Chinese I got last year have very small stampings saying CHINA on the side of the receiver sometimes partially hidden by the stock.

Last edited:
Here are a couple of pix of the SKS. I just striped it down and could find no import marks on it. As you can see the bluing is not so good and there is a little pitting under the wood line. The 2nd pix is of a carving on the stock. The rear sling atachment is mounted on the left side of the stock not the bottem, like on most of the other chinese ones I've seen

DSC00718.jpg

DSC00719.jpg

Last edited:
The 26 is the factory code, the symbols after that are 5 and 6 for type 56. I was worried it might have a Vietnamese stamp on it. I would have had to offer you $$$.[laugh]
W/out the military papers it'd be hard to prove it was a bringback for collector value, but I've got a well worn looking one a lot like yours and enjoy it more than my mint Chinese models. I'll never get rid of it because to me its a true Chinese SKS. Its the character and fact that it was a police/military rifle that makes it mean a little more instead of a Norinco production one made for export.
I have a Norinco with a side sling mount on the butt stock. Makes for uncomfortable shooting because its hard for me to get a good cheek weld. I remember reading about the diferences in the sling mount locations but can't remember now if they're on early or late models or if it means anything at all. I'll do some digging on Survivor's boards and try and find out.
The carving on the butt stock is great. Reminds me of some of the Yugos out there with soldier's carvings on them. I'd be tempted to take it to a Chinese restaurant and ask what it meant.

It's got all the makings of a bring back but just without the papers...we can still believe in the story, just don't pay for it...It's diffrent and that's what I like..the carvings give it some character. If you can find out any info that would be great. I don't think that running in to a Chinese restaurant with a gun is a good idea, they might take it the wrong way..they have plenty of sharp things to throw at you and the languge barrier is hard to get by.

If you can find out any info that would be great. I don't think that running in to a Chinese restaurant with a gun is a good idea, they might take it the wrong way..they have plenty of sharp things to throw at you and the languge barrier is hard to get by.

True.[laugh]
I've posted a link to this thread on an SKS forum and will let you know what they tell me.

View attachment 476

Just grabbed a bushmaster lower like this one(picture is from the bushmaster website not of my lower) will post actual pics/stats when I get an upper on it. probably not for while though apparently uppers have become quite a commodity.

Just picked my second AK. It's a Norinco Type 56S-1. Thanks once again, to the great guys at Zero Hour for providing the opportunity to spend my hard earnd money.

AKs001.jpg

Shown here with the Polytech AKS-762

AKs003.jpg

Last edited:
ranger you son of a...

ive had my eye on that underforlder for awhile...was it the one that was NIB?

lucky bastard...nice pickup...when you get bored of it ship it over here

.32 cal DavisWarner Infallible. Don't know much about it other than not many were made and that it was made in Assonet, Ma between 1915 and 1917.

I'm normally into milsurps but the weird action got my eye. It seems to function ok., just a little sticky feeling when I work the 'slide'. I think it'll clean up and function nice. The right grip seems to be made of painted brass and the left one of plastic. I'll know for sure when I take it apart.

Can anyone tell me any more about it ?

It sure is different !

infall1.jpg

infall2.jpg

Notice the 'action'....three rods. Receiver is open.
infall3.jpg

grip says 'Blocks the Sear'
infall4.jpg

different huh? Receiver is open.
infall5.jpg

Receiver is open.
infall6.jpg

Darned C&R licenses will get you everytime.

edited to add: for some reason the right grip IS solid brass and the left is plastic.

Last edited:
I got a GEW98 on my bithday march 2. (The one that was for sale in the classifieds.)

It's was built in 1907 and was rebuilt by Mauser at some point in it's history. Most of the parts match Serial 1908. The bolt has a line out and was re- serialed to 1908. The stock has been replaced at one time and it is serial numbered to the rifle and has an imperial acceptance stamp on it. When my deal saw the sling that came with he tried to buy it for $75.

All in all I'm happy with what I got.
http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a153/stoneypete/German Military/Gew 98/

03.jpg

shadow.jpg

Type 56S-1

ranger you son of a...

ive had my eye on that underforlder for awhile...was it the one that was NIB?

lucky bastard...nice pickup...when you get bored of it ship it over here

Blood Hound:

Definitely not NIB. It actually has a bit of wear. Just a enough to give it the "been there done that" look that I like so much.

Next on the list is their SPAS 12 that I almost couldn't put down.

.32 cal r DavisWarner Infallible. Don't know much about it other than not many were made and that it was made in Assonet, Ma between 1915 and 1917.

Damn, now that is an iinteresting looking pistol. Do you plan on shooting it and if so I would love to hear a range report. Nice find.

Blood Hound:

Definitely not NIB. It actually has a bit of wear. Just a enough to give it the "been there done that" look that I like so much.

Next on the list is their SPAS 12 that I almost couldn't put down.

so it wasnt the one that was in the box in the display case? they had one there a few weeks ago that was untouched in a box with extra magazines and everything

Went up to Kittery Trading Post today. Quite a selection. I was looking for a new .22 rifle so I didn't even look at the cases and cases of handguns. Came away with this Marlin 60SB, .22LR with stainless barrel, laminated stock, and hooded hi-viz front sight.
Marlin60-adj.jpg

Back
Top Bottom