New acquisitions for July 2008

Not a July buy but it is the latest of the bunch.
It needed some wood added to it right away as well, and it just so happens that the guys at Zero Hour had a set. They had the gun too [smile] And as usual they treated me right.
Here is the before pic.
AKandKatie011.jpg

AKandKatie010.jpg

add a little bit of wood
AKandKatie013.jpg

About 6 coats of Formby's low gloss tung oil and some bees wax, lemon oil on the top to protect it a bit and give it a little shine.
AKandKatie019.jpg

AKandKatie020.jpg

Out with the T\C, Hello to my first 10/22.

sorry about the crap pics..I'm beat and didn't feel like posing it. So direct from the cleaning rack....
DSC00767.jpg

....The shop put the wrong red dot on..didn't notice until I got to the range, have to get that changed out asap.

WOW - nice 10/22 - beautiful wood - - I'm envious!!!

Picked up a used Mossgerg 500A last night. Came with a slug barrel and a 28" improved barrel. By the way, I walked away with it for $125.00![smile]

While not an uber-tacticool shotty, these make wonderful HD guns, and I regret selling mine when I was a kid. I've wanted to get another for a long, long time, just waiting for the right deal to come along.

P7160014.jpg

P7160015.jpg

P7160016.jpg

jay_chris, make sure she puts a copy of the internal lock key on her key ring as well. While very rare, the internal lock Smiths have been reported to sometimes lock up under recoil. You should have a key with you as well as your trigger lock key.

Depicts

thank you,

will do - this is her first (mine too) wheel gun.

Not a July buy but it is the latest of the bunch.
It needed some wood added to it right away as well, and it just so happens that the guys at Zero Hour had a set. They had the gun too [smile] And as usual they treated me right.
About 6 coats of Formby's low gloss tung oil and some bees wax, lemon oil on the top to protect it a bit and give it a little shine.

::sniff:: I'm so proud of you.[smile]

Great looking AK!

Edin's post got me thinking... there is nothing like some new furniture to make a Polytech scream AK!

100_0732.jpg

Total cost not including the four 30rd mags courtesy of the Kingson group buy... $375.[devil]

Last edited:
Edin's post got me thinking... there is nothing like some new furniture to make a Polytech scream AK!

100_0732.jpg

Total cost not including the four 30rd mags courtesy of the Kingson group buy... $375.[devil]
Very nice yourself! And thanks!
Nothing like the look of wood on an old school gun.
I need to find a gas tube for the top so I can put the wood piece that I finished up there to finish the job. The metal one that is on there now is welded to the tube.

I need to find a gas tube for the top so I can put the wood piece that I finished up there to finish the job. The metal one that is on there now is welded to the tube.

Yours still looks great and you may find that cheese grater handguard works well.
It will definitely cool better and faster than a chunk of smoldering wood. Especially after bump firing a few mags right before you're ready to leave the range and you wind up having to hang out and wait for your rifle to cool down before you can put it in the case for the ride home.
Yes, I have scraped melted gun case foam off a gas tube before.[laugh]

Yours still looks great and you may find that cheese grater handguard works well.
It will definitely cool better and faster than a chunk of smoldering wood. Especially after bump firing a few mags right before you're ready to leave the range and you wind up having to hang out and wait for your rifle to cool down before you can put it in the case for the ride home.
[rofl] Not fun scraping anything off a gun.
And yes, after I was done with the 75 rounder it needed some cool down time before I put it away. Your gonna have to show me this bump fire technique of yours [devil]

The underside of my top handguard looks like I fished it out of a charcoal grill.

Nothing like the smell of gunpowder and burning wood in the morning !

Those suckers sure do get hot.

Not to change the subject, but these guns are new this month. Well, new stocks on the Bodyguard, but the others are new. counterclockwise from top left.
3" Mod 36
1861 Model 1 1/2 .32 rimfire, SN 1308 Civil War Gun
Bodyguard
Pre-Mod 36 Chiefs Special
6" Mod 35-1, .22 Cal Target Gun.

carolschoice.jpg

Not to change the subject, but these guns are new this month. Well, new stocks on the Bodyguard, but the others are new. counterclockwise from top left.
3" Mod 36
Bodyguard

Did Fred adopt you? [laugh]

Hell of a start for July!

Did Fred adopt you? [laugh]

Hell of a start for July!

Really!

Anyway, my addition is a Model 18-3, which the serial number range indicates production in 1969. Pinned, recessed, three screws. Has target hammer, target trigger, target sights, and Target Grips. From The Collectors Gallery.

Photos added after a bit of clean up,

M18-smallR.jpg

M18-smallL.jpg

Last edited:
I haven't bought that many guns in the last year and a half [shocked]

3" Mod 36
Bodyguard

Am I just not looking hard enough?!?!? Where do you all find these...at reasonable prices?!

WOW! I love that bodyguard!

Am I just not looking hard enough?!?!? Where do you all find these...at reasonable prices?!

WOW! I love that bodyguard!

Carguy, the guns are out there. You just have to be ready to say "I'll take it" as soon as you see a good deal. The good deals don't hang around long.

I got the bodyguard on this sight, 12 minutes after it was posted. The 3" Chief Special and the Antique Model 1 1/2 Were at Strickland's and Zero Hour respectively, both under $300.

The Model 35 6" Target and the Pre-36 W/Red Box both turned up at the Smith & Wesson Collectors Association annual meeting in Sturbridge. Both are very desirable guns. I saw them on one table the first day of the show... heck, the first ten minutes of the show. I bought them right away for about $400 each. You have to pull the trigger quick on a deal when you see something you like. You also need to know what you're looking for, and how much it is worth to you.

Edited to add: There is a real Cherry 4" heavy barrel Model 10 .38 Special w/box on the shelves at Zero Hour today for $295. Not a steal, but a great gun for a good price. Great shooting companion for a Model 18 if anyone has one. GaryS, are you listening??

Last edited:
Carguy, the guns are out there. You just have to be ready to say "I'll take it" as soon as you see a good deal. The good deals don't hang around long.

It probably helps to have money, too! [wink]

Edited to add: There is a real Cherry 4" heavy barrel Model 10 .38 Special w/box on the shelves at Zero Hour today for $295. Not a steal, but a great gun for a good price. Great shooting companion for a Model 18 if anyone has one. GaryS, are you listening??

That's not a bad price considering, but I have two Model 10s already. One is a four inch "pencil" barrel and the other a plated four inch bull barrel.

Last edited:
I remember seeing the post on that bodyguard!! My response is...DON'T YOU WORK! [wink] Timing is everything.

Great guns and a couple of good buys too...enjoy [smile]

Back
Top Bottom