New 1911DK

edin508

NES Member
So I went to Northeast Trading this AM to see the S&W's on sale durring S&W day. I had planned on getting something on the basic side but came home with this.
Model: SW1911 DK
Caliber: .45ACP
Capacity: 8+1 Rounds
Barrel Length: 5"
Front Sight: Black Blade Front
Rear Sight: Adjustable
Grip: Wood Grips
External Safety: Ambidextrous
Frame: Large
Finish: Two-Tone
Overall Length: 8 3/4"
Material: Stainless Steel Frame/Carbon Steel Slide
Weight Empty: 41 oz.
* External Extractor
* Oversized Magazine Well
* Ambidextrous Safety
* "Designed in Collaboration with Doug Koenig"
* 5" 1911 Configuration
* Doug Koenig Hammer
* Flat Competition Speed Trigger
* Rosewood Grips with Smith & Wesson Silver Medallions
* Oversized Magazine Well
* Ambidextrous Safety
* External Extractor for Extremely High Reliability
* Adjustable Target Sights
* "Doug Koenig" Professional (DKP) Serial Number Run

guns001.jpg

guns002.jpg

99beed97.jpg

guns015.jpg

guns011.jpg

C-pher said:
That's good looking...

Are you skiffing Len?? What'd you spend??? [devil]

Can I get a translator??

Not sure what you are asking, but I was wondering how much the DK went for and too lazy to look up the MSRP and NET S&W Days Discount when I posted that. Just idle curiosity as it is a very nice looking piece.

Since nobody answered, I went to S&W website and looked, MSRP $1274 (IIRC), at ~25% discount, that works out roughly to $1K. Too rich for my blood but I'm sure it is a damn fine piece.

As to what I spent. . . no secret, I bought the Full Size SS model, standard sights for $550 ~18 months ago from Four Seasons. Gently used and suits my purpose (defensive gun). The DK would be a fine gun for serious target shooting/competition, don't think I'd want to carry that one.

LenS said:
Very nice. What kind of money at the special sale?
Scared to say now [wink]
I gotta admit though, it's one of those pieces that you pick up and can't walk away from. And it did make it under the price I was willing to spend on a 1911 today, barley [smile] I also went into this looking for a lifetime purchace.
I love it !!!! Allready had it out to the range today [mg] I think the sights need a little bit O white paint on them to make things a little easier. Other than that I love it !!!! Did I say that allready [laugh]

C-pher, now I get it, you were addressing Ed not me.

IMNSHO decisions like that need to be made on the basis of what the gun's purpose is. I once drooled over the Colt Python when I got the OK from my late Chief to buy my own Colt .357 (I didn't like S&Ws back then, I've changed my mind since) instead of carrying the S&W 10 or 64 that was department standard. I then visualized wrestling with some perp on the ground with a Python and decided to go with the Trooper instead. Today I went to serve some papers and carried my SW1911. If something happens to it, it's affordable to repair (standard parts) or replace it!

LenS said:
Ed, sounds like a nice deal!

Enjoy!!
Thanks you! I sure plan too.
I hope to use this when I go to the Wed. night combat pistol league. That is one of the reasons I chose this model with all the goodies. I have been spoiled on my Wed. night shoots with my Fathers Colt Gold Cup that is THE BEST gun I have shot so far. It had some work done to it back in the day but he doesn't remember what was done. All I know is that it shoots like a dream and fits the hand so well it makes easy work of hitting the targets.
Now it's my turn to tweak this new gun to my liking and hopefully do well with it. It sure does feel real nice in my hand and shot pretty well today. I really am missing the lack of painted marks on the sights for easier acquisition of the target. I will need to mark these up somehow before I go to the range again. Better get to work [smile]

C-pher said:
That's what I was asking him Len, if he was ignoring you and not answering your question.

But thanks for looking up the info.
Sorry bout that, I thought you were talking to Len [thinking]

SW1911 Questions

What does "Designed in Collaboration with Doug Koenig" mean?

Does that mean that it's a special edition SW1911 with some goodies
that the standard issue doesn't get/have? Does it incur additonal cost?
Or do all the SW1911's have that designation?

Thanks,

TBP

The Boston Patriot said:

that the standard issue doesn't get/have? Does it incur additonal cost?

Thanks,

TBP

S&W sponsers Doug. I would equate the "Doug Koenig" edition to someone buying an "Eddie Bauer" edition truck. Same frame and body, just a few added extras, and of course added cost.

It looks like it uses a Koenig hammer, which is made by EGW. They retail for $80. The flat trigger is sort of a Koenig/practical shooting signature part.

The Boston Patriot said:

that the standard issue doesn't get/have? Does it incur additional cost?

Thanks,

TBP
It did come with some goodies. All the goodies I wanted anyway so to me it was a great deal, I didn't pay what the S&W suggested retail was. And yes it was more $$ than a standard S&W 1911.

Here are some goodies...
# Doug Koenig Hammer
# Flat Competition Speed Trigger
# Rosewood Grips with Smith & Wesson Silver Medallions
# Oversized Magazine Well
# Ambidextrous Safety
# External Extractor for Extremely High Reliability
# Adjustable Target Sights

And the small write up from their site...
For the ultimate competitive shooting pistol, Smith & Wesson is introducing the Doug Koenig Professional Series Model SW1911, designed in collaboration with Doug Koenig, the world's most accurate pistol shooter. These models feature Doug Koenig's Speed Hammer, Flat Competition Speed Trigger with Overtravel Stop and a variety of other special features that deliver superior accuracy and performance.

derek said:
Ed,

When are you going to post a range report?

Derek

I just had it out last night so here goes.
I went to the range by myself for the first time since I had the gun, my son is usually with me so more time seems to go that way but that's OK with me. Anyway, I went through close to 200 rounds of different ammo to see how it reacted to each. The only issue I had with ammo was with some SWC reloads I had picked up, they wouldn't settle into the chamber nice so I took a look at the ammo and the case seemed a bit bulged around the lead like there was too much lube on them when they were made? So I cant blame the gun. I had made a bunch of SWC myself with a couple different powders and they were flawless. All of the store bought pre packaged stuff worked flawless as well. The only thing that I did notice with all of the ammo was a hell of a dent in the rim of the case, I am use to seeing a little dent there but this seemed a bit extreme. I believe there is a thread about this from someone else here that just bought a new S&W 1911.
Seeing as the primary use for this gun was going to be for the combat pistol shoots I did most of my shooting at a fairly rapid pace at about 25 feet. My Osama Bin Laden head target from glockFAQ.com is now faceless, and those damn visi-shot targets lost the middles pretty quick. I am so happy with this gun its crazy. I really wish I had gotten a 1911 alot sooner. Did I say that I love this gun [smile] Time to sell the Ruger P89 and put the funds towards another 1911 [wink]

edin508 congrats on the purchase and welcome to the 1911 club. You mentioned you wanted to paint the front sight. I would recommend against that but recommend putting a Fiber Optic front sight on instead. The Fiber Optic rod collects light and transfers it to the end of the optic which pretty much makes the front sight glow. These sights are great for IPSC style shooting esp. when shooting quick transitions because it is easier for your eye to pick up.

I would also recommend a little trigger work. You prob. don't need any new trigger parts, but just need to have the sear/hammer fitment better and also bend the sear spring.

Good choice on the gun.

Pete

PistolPete said:
edin508 congrats on the purchase and welcome to the 1911 club. You mentioned you wanted to paint the front sight. I would recommend against that but recommend putting a Fiber Optic front sight on instead. The Fiber Optic rod collects light and transfers it to the end of the optic which pretty much makes the front sight glow. These sights are great for IPSC style shooting esp. when shooting quick transitions because it is easier for your eye to pick up.

I would also recommend a little trigger work. You prob. don't need any new trigger parts, but just need to have the sear/hammer fitment better and also bend the sear spring.

Good choice on the gun.

Pete
Thanks!
I am getting used to the all black sights and have improved quite a bit using them so I think they are there to stay just the way they are.
As for the trigger job, why wouldn't I [wink] I was thinking of having it cleaned up in there with a stone as well but it has been shooting so well i don't think it's needed.

You're gonna love it. I know what you mean about seeing it and just having to have it. I felt the same when I saw mine sitting on the shelf. Love at first sight.

My 1911sc is with out a doubt the best gun I've ever bought. It dosen't have any of the 'signature' stuff like yours but it is a fantastic piece. It feels it was made for my hand and the thing shoots great. Accurate ! Mine has the novas 3 dot but I think I'd like a front sight that glows as I sometimes lose it with certain backgrounds.

Congrats on a great buy. SW make a FINE 1911.

1911sc1.jpg

Does S&W make a similar firearm with the same extras without having to pad Doug Koenig's pocket or advertise his name? I could do without the "different for the sake of being different" flat trigger too.

Regards,
Chris

Back
Top Bottom