• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

***NES Forum Upgrade 11/18/2017***

Status
Not open for further replies.
namedpipes: the reason why we can't have nice things!

eta: when I submit my post, the page goes completely blank but it posted (hence my deleted second post, not sure if admin can see that or not)

eta2: editing post and saving changes also goes completely blank and still posts it

That's odd, I haven't seen anyone else reporting the same issue, nor have I seen that myself.

This happens when you attempt to attach an image that is larger than allowed.

This happens when you attempt to attach an image that is larger than allowed.

I'm see these all over the place, they are not my posts. Does the system tell the poster they are over the limit?

I'm see these all over the place, they are not my posts. Does the system tell the poster they are over the limit?

The broken link is it’s way of telling you. I’ll add an entry in the FAQ for this.

I’ve increased the limit to 25MB (from 10MB) - this should help quite a bit.

We use an image proxy to pull all non ssl linked images from other sites and rehost them locally as to maintain full encryption adherence. This also helps if the image is deleted on the other side, our posts don’t break. I have to have some sort of sane limit on size though.

The broken link is it’s way of telling you. I’ll add an entry in the FAQ for this.

I’ve increased the limit to 25MB (from 10MB) - this should help quite a bit.

We use an image proxy to pull all non ssl linked images from other sites and rehost them locally as to maintain full encryption adherence. This also helps if the image is deleted on the other side, our posts don’t break. I have to have some sort of sane limit on size though.

No offense but putting it in the Faq isn't going to help much. I might remember this, and some others will too, but this problem is going to come up over and over again. Is there nothing in xen that addresses this?

No offense but putting it in the Faq isn't going to help much. I might remember this, and some others will too, but this problem is going to come up over and over again. Is there nothing in xen that addresses this?

Not without disabling a limit and having me host and store 100+mb cat gifs.

I've put in a couple of tweaks that should assist and resolve nearly all but the most extreme cases.

Not without disabling a limit and having me host and store 100+mb cat gifs.

I've put in a couple of tweaks that should assist and resolve nearly all but the most extreme cases.

What do you have against cats? :p:D;)

Any progress on making it so those of use with touchscreen enabled computers (running Windows 10, etc.) can actually mouse-over thread titles (at the very least) and get the preview of the OP again?????? Never had an issue with the old forum software with this function.

IMO, if it's detecting that I have touchscreens it SHOULD be able to see that I'm NOT on a phone/tablet, and enable the thread 'preview' once again. I don't care about that if I'm actually ON either my phone or tablet. But when I'm on one of my Windows based systems, where I have either a mouse or trackpad (and real keyboards), I want that function BACK.

Any progress on making it so those of use with touchscreen enabled computers (running Windows 10, etc.) can actually mouse-over thread titles (at the very least) and get the preview of the OP again?????? Never had an issue with the old forum software with this function.

IMO, if it's detecting that I have touchscreens it SHOULD be able to see that I'm NOT on a phone/tablet, and enable the thread 'preview' once again. I don't care about that if I'm actually ON either my phone or tablet. But when I'm on one of my Windows based systems, where I have either a mouse or trackpad (and real keyboards), I want that function BACK.

There is no fix for this in the current version of the forum software that would not break mobile devices. When we make the jump to 2.0, it will be addressed.

sHORTY, I'm trying not to harp on any of the issues that have come up, frankly a lot of what people have brought up seems a bit overboard, and you certainly have done a great job making the layout easier to read, but I would really appreciate it if you'd comment on a couple things.

A mobile app was mentioned at one point, is that something on your list? If so, where? Those little buttons/links are a major pain.
Is there any chance of getting the old emojis back? These new ones are just too much Facebooky. If so what's the expected timeline?

There are certainly other things I prefered about the old forum but they just aren't important enough to expend any energy on. And the new "Likes" basically suck compared to the old rep system, but this is well embedded into the system so I haven't even asked if you can change then, I have voiced my opinion but I'm not going to harass you over something you can't change.

What I'm getting at is I'm trying not to be an a55, but I would prefer a definitive answer as opposed to constantly commenting about something, which is more annoying than constructive.

Thanks

@42! No worries - I have no problem with constructive dialog.

In regards to the mobile app, this is something that @Admin has to evaluate and come up with a solution for - there's plenty of options out there from a technical standpoint, but this is more of a business decision that he has to decide on before I can do anything from my side.

Smilies - I can get the old ones back in there. I'll get them added in this weekend.

There's other options out there for the 'like' / reputation system, but that again comes down to a business decision. We're already approaching nearly 50 modifications we now have to maintain and keep updated - rather than trying to make everything exactly like it used to be, we want to try and work with the new and give it a chance.

Last edited:
Thanks. I appreciate the reply.

If I had to narrow down what I liked about the rep system, the ratings were fun but this is something I can adapt to, the ability to add a little comment to the poster was great along with that the anonymity. It was sort of a private wink and nod to the poster, and less a popularity contest like the FB "Likes". But that's just me. Hopefully breaking it down will help with the decision on what could be done.

And a big thanks for the emojis. It's funny what becomes important. Those included smiles just seem so lame.

@42! No worries - I have no problem with constructive dialog.

In regards to the mobile app, this is something that @Admin has to evaluate and come up with a solution for - there's plenty of options out there from a technical standpoint, but this is more of a business decision that he has to decided on before I can do anything from my side.

Smilies - I can get the old ones back in there. I'll get them added in this weekend.

There's other options out there for the 'like' / reputation system, but that again comes down to a business decision. We're already approaching nearly 50 modifications we now have to maintain and keep updated - rather than trying to make everything exactly like it used to be, we want to try and work with the new and give it a chance.

... Those little buttons/links are a major pain. ...

It does turn out you don't have to hit the microscopic blue button to go to first unread. You can click on the thread title in New Posts or Watched and it will take you to the right place. That might help, if you're still trying to poke the dot.

Still, y'all know I still hope for a tt-like mobile with a daaaaaark theme for nighttime distraction.

Those little arrows at the bottom right to move up and down the page are awesome! I'm already trying to find them on other websites and disappointed when they don't appear!

When you're on a computer, you have "Home" or "End" for that. Or "Page Up" "Page Down". On tablet/phone, I speed scroll around. So those are 'meh' things for me, and haven't used them. Even if you don't have those specialized keys, there are easy key combinations that give you the same function. So an even lower 'meh' item IMO.

More interested to see/know when the next update will happen, to restore some of the more important functions we had in the old software. Like not considering ALL touch-screen enabled systems to be tablets/phones. With how many laptops, and even compact desktops, have touch-screens these days, that's a stupid setting.

Those little arrows at the bottom right to move up and down the page are awesome! I'm already trying to find them on other websites and disappointed when they don't appear!
try using the "home" key to go up and "end" to go to the...well...end. ;)

More interested to see/know when the next update will happen, to restore some of the more important functions we had in the old software. Like not considering ALL touch-screen enabled systems to be tablets/phones. With how many laptops, and even compact desktops, have touch-screens these days, that's a stupid setting.

It's going to be a number of months before 2.0 is ready... This isn't a simple changeover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom