NES fishing Group: Quabbin trip, June 1st

I think they were some kind of salamander, we were "catching" more of them then fish and the little bastards didn't want to let go once you brought them in.

Probably but it seemed like where ever they were the fish weren't. We thought about taking some to a different area with us but with our luck they were probably some kind of protected species.

I hear ya. Back home in MN we used to use frogs for largemouth bass and leeches for Smallies...

Didn’t get out there until after 2 so I missed you folks. I didn’t find the smallies but I did find pickerel, small ones though. Does that count?

It turns out that these salamanders were Red Spotted Newts. They are poisonous so the fish will not eat them, so in other words not good for bait.

IMG_1209.jpg

http://www.bio.umass.edu/biology/conn.river/newt.html

The Red Spotted Newt

Notophthalmus viridescens

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For inquiries contact Alan Richmond

The term newt can be applied to any of a number of species of semi-aquatic salamanders in the family Salamandridae.

Most species within the family Salamandridae are found in Europe. In fact only two (2) genera of newts are found in the United States.

The Red-Spotted or Eastern Newt is one of the most abundant salamanders in New England. Unlike other salamanders, newts have a rough skin and indistinct costal grooves. The 2 1/4 to 4 3/4 inches long adults are usually aquatic. Dorsally adults are usually olive green although color may range from a yellowish brown to a greenish brown peppered with red spots. Ventrally they are yellow with black spots.

NEWT, ADULT STAGE

Adult red-spotted newts can be found in a variety of habitats. They are the only species of New England salamander that can co-exist with populations of fish. This is because newts secrete noxious substances from their skin. Newts may be found in marshes, back waters of streams, vernal pools, and even permanent ponds and lakes. Aquatic adults may be active all year long and are frequently seen swimming about under the ice.
Red-Spotted Newts have a complex life history. The adults usually spend the winter on land, underground. In the early spring they emerge and return to the water. They live in permanent bodies of water and reproduce in the spring through early summer. The female deposits her 300-400 eggs one at a time, attaching them to submerged vegetation. Depending on water temperature, the eggs may take several weeks to hatch. The aquatic larvae remain in the pond until late summer.

NEWT, LARVAL STAGE

They resorb their gills and change into the bright orange terrestrial stage called efts. Newts remain in this terrestrial eft stage for up to 7 years, after which they undergo a second metamorphosis where they lose their red orange color and become more drab olive-colored adults.

TERRESTRIAL RED EFT STAGE

There are populations of red-spotted newts that don't conform to this scenario. Skip Lazell, in his book "This Broken Archipelago," mentions two alternative life history strategies. In some coastal populations the terrestrial red eft stage is omitted. The larvae continue to grow in size. They eventually become sexually mature while still retaining their larval appearance. They look similar to a typical adult newt yet retain their external gills.

In other populations, newts enter the red eft stage and never undergo a second metamorphosis. These yellowish terrestrial adults retain the eft morphology. They live around the edge of ponds and marshes, forage terrestrially and return to water only to breed.

Whether a bright orange terrestrial eft or a fully aquatic adult, newts are one of our most common and easily observed salamanders.
Reference:

Lazell, James. D. 1976. This Broken Archipelago: Cape Cod and

the Islands, Amphibians, and Reptiles. Quadrangle/New York
Times Book Co., New York.

Hi Guys, I was in line around 6 am and no one was in the upper lot except a white pickup and no one was inside. I waited at the ramp in my boat for a while but wasnt really sure who or what vehicles to look for. I called on the radio on chanel 2 several times through out the day but got no responce. I am sorry we did not meet up as planned. Next time I will give you my car and boat description to make it easier. I fished the main body through the pass and nailed a nice smallie 3lbs + while trolling. I was alone so the pics dont do it justice. Ill get pics uploaded tonight. I finished the rest of the day on the inside fishing coves and slammed the smallies. I left when that huge storm cloud was rolling in. There were so many smallies on beds where I was it was unbelievable. You might have already fished this area but if not I have to show you, their just everywhere. Sometimes the beds are feet apart others they are about 50 feet apart. Stealth is key when approaching. I am on call this weekend but I am still going to go out. If you want to go let me know. I will be there Sunday, maybe even saturday for a few hours. I usually have an open seat for anyone who wants to go. My ride is a 14' Lund with a 9.9 Johnson Four stoke and 30lb thrust trolling motor. Nothing fancy but it works. Again, sorry for not meeting you all that day. I am glad you guys did well on the bass and pickeral. Thats a really nice Largemouth. Those Newts would be delicious coiled up on Ritz Crackers [smile]

Talk soon,

Tom

Must have just missed you, I got the the upper parking lot about 5:55 and hung out to about 6:30 before going in. Maybe next time.

Next time, everyone wear a geranium in their hair.

I was joking around with a friend of mine about getting professional fishing tournament shirts b/c some of the guys we work with go out for 10 min bike rides at lunch and get all done up in sponsor colored riding shirts.

How about it, Northeast Shooters Fishing shirts?[wink]

OpDETDelta, Nice work on the video and smallies.

Thanks Mike.
I'd be interested in purchasing one of the NES fishing shirts if you have some made up.
That would be awesome! [smile]

If you get a shirt done, it should have the silhouette of a guy shooting an AR-15 down into the water at a great white shark.

Or maybe a fat, drunken frogman. [wink]

I was planning a trip a few weekends ago, but the forecast scared me off, since its an all day trip for me. I hopefully get out there in the next few weeks.

Beautiful bass. I haven't hooked up on smallies but i have heard they fight better than trout. Way to go guys.

Back
Top Bottom