NES Amateur Radio (HAM) Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
TECH-in-a-DAY CALLSIGNS POSTED!!!!!!

For those of us that got our licenses at the Tech-in-a-Day class last Saturday, the FCC has posted the call signs. That only took 1 week!

My 11yo son Allan is KB1TRB
I am AB1LT

Go to this link. Click on LICENSES and search by your FRN number, or search on "last name, first name initial" (you have to get the format just right.

Now all I need is some gear. Anyone know if the Ham Flea Market in Marlborough next Saturday is worth the trip?

Can't know but maybe tonight around 8 or so

OK, if I'm back home...then I'll post. We're going to the Outlaws house to see the new puppy that they got...so I'm not sure when I'm going to be back home...

Oh, and I ordered the 8800 on Friday...and my dumb ass just found a ICOM 207 for almost nothing...so that's going to be shipped next week. I have problems. But, I think that I'm going to use the 1802 that I have downstairs for detacated packet or something...we'll have to see. LOL! If I get another Dualband for the house...then I can use that antenna for packet. I'll have to see...I think that I'm out of control.

Excellent! Enter yourself in the NES directory.

I've started studying for the extra just for kicks.

That's great! Good luck with the Extra.

They must assign call signs sequentially. Your call is 3 characters off of my son's: KB1TRB.

My boy want's his General bad so he's studying. We are going to the Ham flea market in Marloborough next Saturday. I believe they give tests there.

hmmm.. haven't seen that sight. I'll have to check it out. Curious how much you paid for the 207.

It's a great place for used stuff.

That's great! Good luck with the Extra.

They must assign call signs sequentially. Your call is 3 characters off of my son's: KB1TRB.

My boy want's his General bad so he's studying. We are going to the Ham flea market in Marloborough next Saturday. I believe they give tests there.

THey do, all of us that took our tests together have all the calls in a row.

I'm on the 75m Century club net right now if anyone is interested, They take check-ins at various interv als. 3902.00

This can't be good.... a gun club with a ham radio problem!! I can see a heated discussion followed by a pile of smoking electronics [smile]

I am Jason n1iic, in Bow, N.H. near Concord. I have been a ham for holy shit, 20 years now! I was originally licensed in Ct when I was 18. I am mostly on 6/2/440 but I have 900FM along with 160-6 all modes. The week before field day I picked up a Flex-3000 and that has been an amazing radio to say the least. It is normally on the air, but due to my health and the weather I need some antenna work. I can load the beam on some lower bands but it far from optimal.

I have only read the last 10 pages, so you will have to forgive my laziness lol.

Good info. Buy him dinner and flowers and he'll be yours:)
I've got the HF radio working tonight for the first time. It took me a while to figure out how to even hear anybody. I have to figure out which bands use USB and which us lower.
10mHz is used because back in the day it was the easiest to design 10mhz into all the home brew rigs for switching and filters. A LSB signal below 10 mHz when (inverted?) would be USB above 10.

Packet radio: Is it still active? I have a TNC that I won in a Karma and am thinking it's time to give it a try (it's vintage 1993). Will there be anything to hear if I go through the effort?
Not only is packet used for traffic, but look into APRS also.

So 2 days ago I asked one of the engineers here at work if he know where I could get a 2 meter SWR locally. He's an Extra so I figured he might know of a place. He said he'd get back to me. Yesterday I mailed out a book of mine to someone on the forum on my dime just because I figured he'd enjoy it. I got into work this morning and found a MFJ SWR meter sitting on my desk along with a bag full of PL-259 and SO-239 connectors and a note that says "good luck with your antenna build, let me know how it works out." Karma, man, it's real.
I have two viewpoints on this one, lol. This is exactly what ham radio is about- the camaraderie as you guys are learning just between yourselves. Most hams will be more than happy to help out others like this if they can. It's easy to collect stuff over the years and finally realize that someone else needs that SWR meter more than you do.
The second point is MFJ, affectionately known as mighty fine junk, more effing junk, etc. Ok at best on a budget (can't beat free!!) but spend the extra money if you can on a better name, especially on tuners. I have had the most problems with them.

Take a visit to HRO and get a real SWR meter that can do HF as well as VHF. Stay away from the rat-shack version.
Agreed, but I have had better luck with RS than MFJ. It's going to be expensive getting HF and VHF/UHF in the same box, nevermind two totally different applications. Get one for HF/6, and one for VHF/UHF. I like cross needles since it shows forward, reflected, and SWR in a quick look.

While I'm waiting...I have a question... My radio goes through these waves of clarity and noise. I'll be talking and everything is clear as a bell...then like someone fliped a switch...I get all this static over the voice...then, like a switch it's clear again...

IS this normal? I don't get it on my HT...I wonder if it's the connections or if it's just what's going on in the air outside...
I agree on a microwave, etc. A big culprit is dirty (RF) switching power supplies.

One other thing that you should know about crossbanding..... if you crossband into a repeater, you will not be able to talk until the repeater completely stops transmitting. This is fine for repeaters that have short tails, but long tailed repeaters will be a bitch because they can go for a while before someone lets the tail completely drop.
If you have the luxury of the tone only transmitting when there is an input signal to the repeater, that rocks. Otherwise I program mt 8900 to not transmit the received repeater signal by putting a 99.95 offset into it and listen to the repeater directly on a Kenwood TH-F6A if at all possible.

For those of us that got our licenses at the Tech-in-a-Day class last Saturday, the FCC has posted the call signs. That only took 1 week!

My 11yo son Allan is KB1TRB
I am AB1LT
Congratulations on going straight to Extra! Imagine 10+ years ago when you would have had to sit through 6 elements instead of 3! Novice, Tech, General, Advanced, Extra, and 20WPM.
Go to this link. Click on LICENSES and search by your FRN number, or search on "last name, first name initial" (you have to get the format just right.
It's got to be entertaining not only to hear the nearly sequential calls, but anyone trying to keep them straight! lol
Now all I need is some gear. Anyone know if the Ham Flea Market in Marlborough next Saturday is worth the trip?
It's been 3 years since I went to Marlborough but its always been a good flea. I hope to go, but might be doing the Laconia Sled Dog Races if they happen. Not much snow left after that rainy warm spell we had.

I am thoroughly impressed that you guys got together and did this. I am so proud. *sniff[crying] [smile]

Jason

Oh and in case no one else has mentioned it, hams can get REALLY eccentric and geeky, so don't be worried. When you finally make it to NEAR-Fest, you will understand. =]

Wetchicken

welcome to NES. Glad to have another ham in the bunch. If you look up a bit there is a link to a directory of nes hams you can enter if you like.

Matt

Oh and in case no one else has mentioned it, hams can get REALLY eccentric and geeky, so don't be worried. When you finally make it to NEAR-Fest, you will understand. =]

I have the luxury of having my father living in Dayton, OH. So, I have a feeling that I'm going to make an effort to make a family visit at the same time as Ham fest. LOL!

Wetchicken

welcome to NES. Glad to have another ham in the bunch. If you look up a bit there is a link to a directory of nes hams you can enter if you like.

Matt

I agree. Welcome. It's always good to have another person to bounce questions off of.

I have the luxury of having my father living in Dayton, OH. So, I have a feeling that I'm going to make an effort to make a family visit at the same time as Ham fest. LOL!

I agree. Welcome. It's always good to have another person to bounce questions off of.

Thanks, guys. I have been welcomed to every thread I have posted in (a whole 2 lol) so I am getting the impression you folks are real nice here. Thank you. BTW Are you looking for any new friends?? Do you have the application online anywhere?[smile]

WetChicken,

Welcome!!!!! As you can tell, this is a great bunch of folks you've found.

Bob

ps: great jog going green right away. Reps to ya.

Thanks, Bob. As compared to other boards that I have seen, this is the most level headed mature group that does know when to have fun and a bargain for 19 plus additional processing and handling. =]

I am still a little nervous about hams carrying guns, though.[grenade][shocked]

heh heh

I am still a little nervous about hams carrying guns, though.[grenade][shocked]

heh heh

I was talking to some guys on the Paxton repeater about the fact that a lot of Hams are into firearms and shooting as well. The topic came up after someone mentioned that they were going to the Southboro R&G this Saturday. Eventually we came to the conclusion that the areas of interest for Hams are as follows:
Ham radio
Beer
Guns
(in that order)
All are fine individually, but you do not want to mix. [wink]

[laugh]

Last edited:
I was talking to some guys on the Paxton repeater about the fact that a lot of Hams are into firearms and shooting as well. The topic came up after someone mentioned that they were going to the Southboro R&G this Saturday. Eventually we came to the conclusion that the areas of interest for Hams are as follows:
Ham radio
Beer
Guns
(in that order)

[laugh]

The first two are pretty popular together on 75 meters.

Ham radio
Beer
Guns
(in that order)

[laugh]

Southboro has a nicely equipped Ham Shack and tower right on the property next to the Trap and Skeet Ranges.
They have the club call W1/SRG.
Most of the Hams I know are also into guns, and many are into boats and aviation too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom