NES Amateur Radio (HAM) Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
<snip>
P.S. Ham radio is not just a hobby, it is a emegency service. The new hams that are learning the ropes will make this service stronger.

Agreed, but tell that to the FCC.

From Public Notice DA 09-2259A1:
While the value of the amateur service to the public as a voluntary
noncommercial communications service, particularly with respect to providing emergency
communications, is one of the underlying principles of the amateur service, the amateur service is not an
emergency radio service.

Last edited:
I just found out that I have a co-worker that's from Canada and the equivalent of an Extra here in the US. We were talking about Antenna's and how I'm going to get a HF Dipole up because I don't have a lot of space. Here's what he said that he's using at his place.

This is what he sent me and was saying that it would work at my place because I don’t have a lot of space.

http://www.aa5tb.com/efha.html

He said that this was the exact antenna that he built for his house.
http://www.aa5tb.com/coupler.html

This is also what he told me about the Antenna that I have on my house.

That is exactly what I was talking about. The stub in the middle matches the two 5/8th antennas top and bottom and make it higher gain antenna. With normal condition, single 5/8th antenna will give you about 5dBi (~2dBd) and double 5/8th will give you about 7dBi (~4dBd). Simple calculation is like this. dBi is for Isotropic condition and dBd is referenced to dipole, so I’d say that dBd gives you much more accurate figure. 0 dBd = 3.12 dBi, so numerically, using dBi looks better because it indicates higher number, and many antenna manufacturers use this unit to look nicer. So, technically, any antenna that claims about 3dBi means no gain compared to a dipole.

I think that I'm going to hit him up as an Elmer...I have no idea what he was saying in any of those things...

I've come to realize that I suck and know nothing about what I'm doing...expect my shack to blow up at any point....[laugh2]

I just found out that I have a co-worker that's from Canada and the equivalent of an Extra here in the US. We were talking about Antenna's and how I'm going to get a HF Dipole up because I don't have a lot of space. Here's what he said that he's using at his place.

This is what he sent me and was saying that it would work at my place because I don’t have a lot of space.

http://www.aa5tb.com/efha.html

He said that this was the exact antenna that he built for his house.
http://www.aa5tb.com/coupler.html

This is also what he told me about the Antenna that I have on my house.

That is exactly what I was talking about. The stub in the middle matches the two 5/8th antennas top and bottom and make it higher gain antenna. With normal condition, single 5/8th antenna will give you about 5dBi (~2dBd) and double 5/8th will give you about 7dBi (~4dBd). Simple calculation is like this. dBi is for Isotropic condition and dBd is referenced to dipole, so I’d say that dBd gives you much more accurate figure. 0 dBd = 3.12 dBi, so numerically, using dBi looks better because it indicates higher number, and many antenna manufacturers use this unit to look nicer. So, technically, any antenna that claims about 3dBi means no gain compared to a dipole.

I think that I'm going to hit him up as an Elmer...I have no idea what he was saying in any of those things...

I've come to realize that I suck and know nothing about what I'm doing...expect my shack to blow up at any point....[laugh2]

Good info. Buy him dinner and flowers and he'll be yours:)
I've got the HF radio working tonight for the first time. It took me a while to figure out how to even hear anybody. I have to figure out which bands use USB and which us lower.

HMMMMM...I wonder if I should apply for a Club call sign for NES?

/John

I think that's a great idea.
Grab W1NES for the club.
I can get some decals made up that'll say "W1NES Radio Club".
It's a great call for an individual, especially a wine merchant, but the lightning bolt screws it up for a Mass. Plate.
As a Club Call, we can all enjoy it on Field Days, and it's a call that other contacts will smile at and remember when they write it in the log. [wink]

I think that's a great idea.
Grab W1NES for the club.
I can get some decals made up that'll say "W1NES Radio Club".
It's a great call for an individual, especially a wine merchant, but the lightning bolt screws it up for a Mass. Plate.
As a Club Call, we can all enjoy it on Field Days, and it's a call that other contacts will smile at and remember when they write it in the log. [wink]

LOL! I want a t-shirt

Actually 2 of us NESers did pass the General.... We both took the Extra and I know I didn't make it....[thinking]

Can't wait to get my call sign.....[smile]

Not so[smile]. Here's my Trip Report...

ETA: BobJ beat me to it. I was composing while he posted.

My apologies to both of you for my incorrect statement. Congratulations are in order!!!

Packet radio: Is it still active? I have a TNC that I won in a Karma and am thinking it's time to give it a try (it's vintage 1993). Will there be anything to hear if I go through the effort?

Are there many Echolink users here?

We could easily start an Echolink NES group. Obvisouly we all have computers, so it should be a natural. This would solve the issue of not everyone being near a particular repeater, or have HF gear, etc.

For those that don't know Echolink: www.echolink.org

On another topic, C-pher, have you looked into a vertical multi-band antenna? I've used one with pretty good results over the years. The last I had was a Cushcraft R7. It worked pretty well as long as it was no closer than about 10 or 15 feet to any trees.

The R7 is not the best antenna, but it will work if you have a space limitation. I don't know if they are still available, or if not, what alternatives are available.

Are there many Echolink users here?

We could easily start an Echolink NES group. Obvisouly we all have computers, so it should be a natural. This would solve the issue of not everyone being near a particular repeater, or have HF gear, etc.

For those that don't know Echolink: www.echolink.org

On another topic, C-pher, have you looked into a vertical multi-band antenna? I've used one with pretty good results over the years. The last I had was a Cushcraft R7. It worked pretty well as long as it was no closer than about 10 or 15 feet to any trees.

The R7 is not the best antenna, but it will work if you have a space limitation. I don't know if they are still available, or if not, what alternatives are available.

I haven't...I was given this 2m Cushcraft Ringo...and it does VERY well. But I will have to look into a multi for a dual band.

It's more when I get into HF...or is that what you're talking about? Man, I have so much to learn.

I haven't...I was given this 2m Cushcraft Ringo...and it does VERY well. But I will have to look into a multi for a dual band.

It's more when I get into HF...or is that what you're talking about? Man, I have so much to learn.

That's the beauty of this hobby -- you can be in it for decades, and you still will!

C-pher,

Yes I was talking about a muli-band HF vertical. I have one for 80M through 10M.

I don't know what's available lately. I think cushcraft is out of it. There may be other options. I don't know what your space limitations are, but there are always options!

Ok, back to Echolink, anyone else interested in it? I have it installed, for ideal operations, I just need a better mic (or headset).

Congrats newbies. I still know nothing....that is why it is good to hang around hams that have been at it longer.
You pick up tricks and ideas.

Just keep reading and especially Googeling stuff you have questions about, and nibble away at it. And as you gain actual working experience you'll be able to cut away alot of the theory and just go right to the practical stuff.

Having just purchased an iPhone (wife) and iPod Touch (me) I am searching for apps that useful. Here some things that you might like:

Learn Morse code via the Koch method, ($5 - only one I can find that uses the Koch method, though this introduces groups of letters, not one at a time): http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ham-morse/id315980140?mt=8
Haven't tried it, but for mobile psk give this a go: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/i-psk31/id329842689?mt=8

and from iTunes, I'll repeat my endorsement of these podcasts for those studying for the exams (free): http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=83112453
I'm listening to the Extra class material now. (these are also available at www.hamradioclass.com)

Matt

I missed this thread somehow until today.

K1RAX
HF only right now. Starting to try PSK-31 and other digital modes but mostly SSB. Need to grow my antenna farm in the spring. Right now I have a 75M/20M dipole at about 35-40 ft and a separate 160M dipole (more of an inverted V) that I threw up a month ago just as a trial (top at 40 ft... ends at 10ft).

Licensed (tech and general) in Nov. 09 so it's still new to me. Went for HF since I used to play with shortwave and some 10M 15 or so years ago. I may get vhf/uhf someday :)

Last edited:
I missed this thread somehow until today.

K1RAX
HF only right now. Starting to try PSK-31 and other digital modes but mostly SSB. Need to grow my antenna farm in the spring. Right now I have a 75M/20M dipole at about 35-40 ft and a separate 160M dipole (more of an inverted V) that I threw up a month ago just as a trial (top at 40 ft... ends at 10ft).

Licensed (tech and general) in Nov. 09 so it's still new to me. Went for HF since I used to play with shortwave and some 10M 15 or so years ago. I may get vhf/uhf someday :)

welcome! we're building a directory of NES hams if you'd like to add yourself: http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dGV1SkF2ODRTS2xtSzZPM09aR083YWc6MA

Mic Fright...

I've been there...just do it!! THe more you do, the easier it gets.

Made contact with a guy from NC. He was having trouble with my signal but I could hear him well. I need to work on that antenna. I'm planning on cleaning up the install this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom