Need some tips on Wild Pig Hunting in the South.

This "headshot advice" also had a lot to do with where we were hunting. The entire landscape is mesquite trees and prickly pear cactus so when the piggies run, they run into places most of us cannot follow. The idea was to keep from having to tear yourself to ribbons trying to follow Porky into this crap.

I don't know about hunting laws down south, but all you need is a KBar, in the PI. [wink]

We killed one with a KBar rigged to some bamboo (actually the Negrito guide/instructor killed it) back in the day in the Philippines at JEST. Tasted good, better than the monkey or snake. [shocked]

And, now you too, can go to JEST... http://www.clarksubicmarketing.com/sports_leisure/subic_bay_jest_camp.htm

Too funny.

are you going to be using dogs?

if you are, make sure they have Argentine mastiffs (dogo argentino). Thats a boar hunting dog. they use them in Florida, and Texas. I know people that use them. Great dogs, fearless.
they dont kill the boar, they hold it down till you cut his throat.
I second that. I Havent taking this guy down south yet but have hunted with a couple of people with them in FL. This is the way to go

DSCN1046.jpg

This was at 6 months old. He's now 9 months and about 110 lbs.

I've seen some guys use 44 mags and go through all 6 shots just to drop a russian boar. I stick with a rifle of some kind

I second that. I Havent taking this guy down south yet but have hunted with a couple of people with them in FL. This is the way to go

DSCN1046.jpg

This was at 6 months old. He's now 9 months and about 110 lbs.

I've seen some guys use 44 mags and go through all 6 shots just to drop a russian boar. I stick with a rifle of some kind

where did you get your dogo?

Ive been looking for a breeder, but they are all in Texas and Florida.

check out this video i found: (told you they hold the boar so you can kill them)

who needs a gun, when you ahve the best hunting dog: (check out the hunt around 3:25)

Last edited by a moderator:
where did you get your dogo?

Ive been looking for a breeder, but they are all in Texas and Florida.
Florida. I got it from Dr. Eduardo Lavado of Los Medanos Dogo's. He's a former vet and one of the best judges of the breed. He knows very, very little english so if you speak spanish, or have sometime to translate its recommended. He doesnt have a website, he works off referrals only. PM me and i'll give you his number.

On the boar hunts in Florida we had 4 dogos. And the 250lb boar didnt move a muscle after they caught it, so you could go up and slit his throat, but we always suck them through the heart b/c the dogs are holding onto his neck and hind legs

You could always buy a dog from the guy in the video to. He runs Los cazadores dogos in Texas. There is a place in RI MA border area that has some dogos right now.

Last edited:
Florida. I got it from Dr. Eduardo Lavado of Los Medanos Dogo's. He's a former vet and one of the best judges of the breed. He knows very, very little english so if you speak spanish, or have sometime to translate its recommended. He doesnt have a website, he works off referrals only. PM me and i'll give you his number.

On the boar hunts in Florida we had 4 dogos. And the 250lb boar didnt move a muscle after they caught it, so you could go up and slit his throat, but we always suck them through the heart b/c the dogs are holding onto his neck and hind legs

You could always buy a dog from the guy in the video to. He runs Los cazadores dogos in Texas. There is a place in RI MA border area that has some dogos right now.

oh, sweet. PM sent.

So this trip is coming up in a couple of weeks and I'm getting excited.
I ended up buying a Remington 770 Scoped Combo in .30-06 for $320 NIB. I had a gift card for $200 so it only cost me $120 out of pocket.
I spoke to the guide and she says we can hunt from stands or stalk. Either way no dogs will be used.
I'll post pics and a review of the guide service when I get back.

So this trip is coming up in a couple of weeks and I'm getting excited.
I ended up buying a Remington 770 Scoped Combo in .30-06 for $320 NIB. I had a gift card for $200 so it only cost me $120 out of pocket.
I spoke to the guide and she says we can hunt from stands or stalk. Either way no dogs will be used.
I'll post pics and a review of the guide service when I get back.

Nice buy, and I wish you the best of luck! Give a report. I have a hunt coming in August, and it can't come sooner... :D

I'm excited to hear how it goes as well. I'm heading down to Texas first weekend in June to do some hog hunting. We're night hunting with NVS and AR's in 6.8 SPC. Never done it before but it looks like a crap load of fun.

I worked with a guy at a new car dealership a few years ago. He was a real backstabber, not good for anything, but by virtue of a personal connection, he was a highly paid service advisor. After I left the dealership, he was caught lying to one customer too many and fired.

After his termination he decided to go hog hunting with a .44 magnum pistol. I can't imagine why, he didn't seem like the hunting type to me. Anyway, while walking through the woods, he somehow managed to drop the magnum, which discharged and shot him in the nuts..

Ah, karma... nice to know it works.

Back
Top Bottom