• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Need some help getting started.

Urj

I've been reading the threads here as well as doing some learning at various other sites and have a few questions about getting started with reloading.

I've read a lot about presses needing adjustment and having problems. Are these adjustments something that I can do myself easily or are they difficult to do properly? Am I going to have problems with safety?

On the safety note, is paying careful attention and checking multiple sources for loads enough to ensure safety both in loading and shooting?

I'm still not certain what exactly I have to have to get started. I'm going to be loading .223 and .45ACP primarily.

I'm thinking about the Hornady LnL AP with dies for each caliber

digital caliper set

digital powder scale

two reloading manuals

What am I forgetting?

Ammo boxes.

You won't need a loading block for a progressive press; they're for single-stage presses, which required you to keep the cartridges upright as you went through each step (and die change).

You might also want to download data from the manufacturers' sites for each propellant you use.

Make sure you have GOOD lighting, particularly on your powder station, so you can spot missed/double-charged cases.

With the Hornady LnL you have to order the pistol rotor and it's measuring stem because it comes set up just for rifle cartridges, 10 extra bushings, which you put the dies in, a couple of extra shell retainng springs and a powder cop.

Very easy press to setup and work.

You will also need an alcohol/lanolin based case lube, and a powder funnel is a handy thing for putting that powder you just checked back in the case when you confirm your load on the scale. An old baking type pan is good for the lube process.

I've been adding items into my cart as they're suggested, I didn't realize it was going to be this expensive!! I'll probably have to wait a while to get started, but thank you all for the info so far, if you've got anymore please keep it coming!

You will also need an alcohol/lanolin based case lube, and a powder funnel is a handy thing for putting that powder you just checked back in the case when you confirm your load on the scale. An old baking type pan is good for the lube process.

IF you are loading rifle cases, you will need to lube them. I prefer spray lube, having tried lubing them by hand.

For handguns buy CARBIDE dies. Period. Not doing so is a false economy; you will waste time and get scratched cases when the lube picks up crud (like primer residue).

If you're loading bottleneck rifle cases (such as .223) you're going to need a case trimmer at some point. A primer flipper is nice to have, and cheap.

Back
Top Bottom