Need some guidance

I have never gone deer hunting before but a good (experienced) friend of mine invited me to go next season. I have been doing some research and have not found much info for a noobie (I.E. like a how to..., what you need, or simply something to read about it to learn more). I am going to purchase a bolt action rifle preferably new (could do used but just my quirk) and not more than $450. The caliber would be 30.06. Any suggestions on rifle and shop (Eastern MA). Also any other info or links would be appreciated.

Where are you going to be hunting deer? If it's in MA then the rifle idea is out of the question. Shotgun, muzzle-loader or bow are your choices for MA deer hunting.

If you're hunintg MA it's shotgun only. Maine, NH or VT a rifle will be perfered but a lot depends on what the area you hunt is like. I hunt pretty deep woods in VT. The only deer I've taken - 172# 8 point back in 2002 was a 40 yard shot.

I'm using a .30-06 but only because it's a lefty. Pickin's were pretty slim back when I bought it as far as makes and calibers.

Today, if I was going to buy a new rifle, I might think .308 or even .243 for the area I hunt.

Hope that helps,

Thanks. It will be in Western PA. I would like to try to go to the safety course in Middleboro but it shows full on the website. Should i still try to go and see if there is room?

Thanks. It will be in Western PA. I would like to try to go to the safety course in Middleboro but it shows full on the website. Should i still try to go and see if there is room?
They often have no-shows, so it's worth a try. When rifle shopping, be aware that PA does not allow semi-autos for hunting. Lotsa deer there, but plenty of hunters, too. Wear orange and hunt safely. Good luck.

You'll see boots advertised with Thinsulate for warmth. You can Google for specifics but the scale seems to run from about 200 grams (think sneaker), past 600 (for hiking) to 2200 (think clunky Arctic snow boot). I'm in a swampy area so I like the swamp boots that have over 1200 and can be used for snow. The say with your pants tucked in it will cut down on the odor you release to the plants you walk by.

Cabela's is pricey, but is known for a great return policy (customer service). Sportsmansguide.com has great deals.

Back
Top Bottom