• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Need help with Connecticut handgun laws

I've honestly been trying to interpret the word of the law for a a while now and cannot make heads or tails of it. Hopefully someone here has more first hand experience.

What i would like to do is own a handgun and keep it in a lock box in the bedroom. No concealed carry, No open carry, just locked in a box and occasionally brought to a local gun range or private-property (for transportation most likely in the box it came in). Can anyone help me figure out what i do and don't need, and exactly what the desired permit allows/doesn't allow?

On a side note am i correct in that Conn. doesn't require you to register your gun? (for handguns as well?)

Thanks

By no means am I an expert on this compared to others on this forum. I, myself, am in the middle of getting my handgun permit.

From what I have learned, you can have a handgun at home without a permit. However, you cannot transport a gun without a permit except just after a purchase in the original packaging or when you are moving to a new home.

Also, you are not able to purchase a handgun in CT without either a permit or a certificate.

I do not believe you can have a handgun on someone else's private property without a permit.

Lastly, it appears many gun/shooting ranges require a handgun permit to shoot handguns.

I am sure there are others that know much more than I so please do not take my word as law.

Evan

You need a to get a pistol permit. Technically you do not need a permit to have the handgun in you house, however you would need a permit to purchase to buy it and bring it to the house. Then to take it anywhere outside of your house, like to the range, you need a pistol permit. The permit to purchase and pistol permit require the same hoops to jump through, therefore there is no reason to just get the purchase permit. Even though you dont care about carry, you are allowed to carry with the pistol permit. CT is more simple than MA in that it only has one pistol permit.
You will need to take a safety course, apply for your local permit which takes a few weeks, then once you get that you can go and get the state permit.
Your local PD should have all the forms and info you will need. good luck

If you are a resident of the state you need to have a permit to Buy or Transport a handgun. (Or a Non-res Permit for non-residents)

If you move into connecticut you may or maynot need to register a Pistol.

There are some Exceptions to Transporting the gun to events or to get it fixed, BUT most ranges will not let you shoot without a permit, and may go as far as detaining your gun.

The permit to purchase and pistol permit require the same hoops to jump through, therefore there is no reason to just get the purchase permit. Even though you dont care about carry, you are allowed to carry with the pistol permit. CT is more simple than MA in that it only has one pistol permit.

that's what i was getting hung up on, i could not believe that the permit to purchase/own was the same as the permit to carry concealed.

So, If i'm bringing the gun to the range a couple times a month i would need this permit because it would otherwise be illegal for me to leave my property with it (even in box vs. on hip) correct?

thanks for the help

that's what i was getting hung up on, i could not believe that the permit to purchase/own was the same as the permit to carry concealed.

So, If i'm bringing the gun to the range a couple times a month i would need this permit because it would otherwise be illegal for me to leave my property with it (even in box vs. on hip) correct?

thanks for the help

It's not. There are two types of permits that you are confusing

- One is to buy, carry, store, etc
- One is just to buy and bring home

The process is very, very similar for each, so in the end, why not just go one more step & get the CCW permit.

If you want, I am sure I can find the actual names of the permits...

As for registering, there is no "registration" per se, but when you buy from a dealer, he will call the State to get a transfer number and permission to transfer ownership to you. Also, there are a few forms that are "supposed" to be disposed of by your COP after 30 days.

It's not. There are two types of permits that you are confusing

- One is to buy, carry, store, etc
- One is just to buy and bring home

so if you just have that second one does that mean it is illegal to bring the gun anywhere (i.e. gun-range)?

i agree with you that if processes are similar the first option is better but i'm just trying to understand the laws

Yes. You need the State Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers. That's exactly what it's called. Don't waste your time with the purchase or "eligibility" certificate because, as already stated, you have to go through all the same crap as getting the full blown permit. Do NOT show up at a range without that permit. No shit, I have a former co-worker in jail who's a southern boy (you know, the I'm 'Murrican and don't need no permit type [rolleyes] ). Showed up at a range about a year and a half ago and an undercover officer spot checked the firing line for permits and he had three handguns. He was charged with 6 class D felonies. 1 each for illegal possession of a handgun and 1 each for illegal transportation of a handgun without a permit. I warned him when he first moved here and starting working at the same company, but no... [rofl]

You need the State Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers.

As a practical matter, if you are a shooter in Connecticut, you should go ahead and get this permit. Even if you only shoot rifles, it confers some advantages, like eliminating the waiting period on purchase. (I believe. Check it out.)

Because there is only the one type of permit, CT is at the top of states in percent of citizens with a permit to carry, but I doubt we are near the top in percent of citizens actually packing heat.

There are a couple of good things about the CT system. One is that we are probably at or near the top in percent of gun owners who have had a gun safety course. Another is that a Chief of Police really can't deny the permit just because he feels you have no need to carry since you need the permit for recreation shooting which is a perfectly respectable activity. It's a big reason that CT is effectively "shall issue" while the law reads "may issue."

Because there is only the one type of permit, CT is at the top of states in percent of citizens with a permit to carry, but I doubt we are near the top in percent of citizens actually packing heat.

Isn't the eligibility (to purchase) certificate still around? Guess that's not really a permit. I don't know why anyone would jump through basically the same hoops and pay the money and not just get the full blown carry permit.

Last I heard, CT was #4 for having the most pistol permits per population in the US. That blows people away when I go back home to gun loving states like FL and AZ. But, it's not so much because people want to carry. It's because you need it and have to "pay to play" if you want to do ANYTHING with a handgun. Even that little old lady with a .38 snubbie in her nightstand, who never intends to carry a day in her life, must have a permit to practice at the range once or twice a year. As with everything else in CT, f*** you...pay me! Won't even recognize permits from any other state, which causes a lot of states to tell CT to f*** off as well regarding reciprocity. [rolleyes]

Thats one of the things I love about CT - with the high number of permits out, the crowd youre standing in at the station probably has at least a few carrying.

I wonder what the percentage is of people with permits and carrying religiously. I'll bet it's nowhere near as high as you think, Du510. Lots of people get the permit just to be legal to go to the range and don't do much of anything else with it.

I wonder what the percentage is of people with permits and carrying religiously. I'll bet it's nowhere near as high as you think, Du510. Lots of people get the permit just to be legal to go to the range and don't do much of anything else with it.

That would be an interesting %age to find out, but any figure would undoubtedly be inaccurate.

I take the train each day; I've bumped into guys at the range (shooting his CCW) that I would have never thought carried but see daily on the train platform.

The percentage of people actually carrying is fairly low.
Some people want a hand gun for home defense, alot more want one because of the novelty, they never shoot them they just want to one up all their friends .

That would be an interesting %age to find out, but any figure would undoubtedly be inaccurate.

I take the train each day; I've bumped into guys at the range (shooting his CCW) that I would have never thought carried but see daily on the train platform.

What's the legality of carrying on the train? Is it an Amtrak one? If so, they have their own no weapons policy.

What's the legality of carrying on the train? Is it an Amtrak one? If so, they have their own no weapons policy.

Policy versus law... Only law I'd be breaking would be "trespassing" as I wouldn't be welcome on their property.

But in any case, don't believe MTA has anything (though I can't say that for sure.)

Policy versus law... Only law I'd be breaking would be "trespassing" as I wouldn't be welcome on their property.

But in any case, don't believe MTA has anything (though I can't say that for sure.)

I've never seen anything in the laws against carrying on public transportation. No metal detectors, either. At least at the New Haven station.

What do CT CCW holders do who work in NYC, given that NYS doesn't issue non-resident licenses? Is there a business on/close to the CT side of the border where CCW holders can "park" their firearms for the day, while they travel into the PRNYC?

What do CT CCW holders do who work in NYC, given that NYS doesn't issue non-resident licenses? Is there a business on/close to the CT side of the border where CCW holders can "park" their firearms for the day, while they travel into the PRNYC?

Give it to me, Ill hold it for ya!

I bet you could find a dealer / store willing to hold it, offer them some cash for their service.

Correct me if I am wrong but is it Illegal to carry in the city??

I bet you could find a dealer / store willing to hold it, offer them some cash for their service.

Correct me if I am wrong but is it Illegal to carry in the city??

NY requires "constant threat of deadly harm" or something similar to qualify for CCW. It's handed out by County, and Manhattan has their own regs. If I remember correctly, their permit is only for something like 90 days as well, then you go through the whole process again.

The details are fuzzy (I looked into a long time ago), but the gist remains the same --- its just about impossible to carry legally in NYC as an ordinary citizen.

The details are fuzzy (I looked into a long time ago), but the gist remains the same --- its just about impossible to carry legally in NYC as an ordinary citizen.

Yeah, that's what I thought. Kind of makes it difficult for people in your situation (traveling to and from the city for work). Its too bad NY, Mass, NH,VT... all these North East states can't accept carry permits from each other.

How about finding a State that NY does accept and try for a Non-res permit from one of them???

NY requires "constant threat of deadly harm" or something similar to qualify for CCW. It's handed out by County, and Manhattan has their own regs. If I remember correctly, their permit is only for something like 90 days as well, then you go through the whole process again.

It is, indeed, just about impossible to carry legally in NYC. Here's a link to the types of licenses given out by the NYPD to (i) NYC and (ii) NYS (but not NYC) residents: http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/html/permits/handgun_licensing_information.shtml#license_types . Carry licenses are most commonly issued in connection with the licensee's involvement with a business that handles large amounts of cash, diamonds, or other valuables (large meaning >> $10,000 at any one time, on a regular basis). What they don't mention (of course) is they will also give out the "full carry" license to "important people/celebrities".

Its too bad NY, Mass, NH,VT... all these North East states can't accept carry permits from each other.

Any non-prohibited person may carry concealed in VT without any license whatsoever. There are no such things as firearms licenses in VT, including for non-residents. MA, NH and ME give out non-resident carry permits. MA's non-resident permits are restricted, at a minimum, to the holder's home-state permit restrictions, cost $100, and have to be renewed annually. The NH and ME permits are issued without restrictions, and are much cheaper/longer-lived.

How about finding a State that NY does accept and try for a Non-res permit from one of them???

http://www.notgonnahappen.com NYS does not have any provisions in its laws for recognizing out-of-state licenses, nor for issuing non-resident licenses.

Back
Top Bottom