New gun laws in CT.

The article is as can be expected, short on good facts/details. It says guns w/o serial numbers are banned. Does this effect all those pre-68 unserialized guns you already own or is it just focused on the oh so deadly "ghost" gun?

The article is as can be expected, short on good facts/details. It says guns w/o serial numbers are banned. Does this effect all those pre-68 unserialized guns you already own or is it just focused on the oh so deadly "ghost" gun?

Your question would require the people giving answers actually know something about guns.

Is an aluminum block with a hole in it now a "blank". Lol.

Is black pipe now a "blank"? Because I have a government created improvised munitions handbook that clearly illustrates how to make a firearm from a piece of pipe.

The law exempts antique firearms and firearms manufactured prior to the new law took effect the way I read it. New Gun Laws - Ghost Guns - Public Act No. 19-6

If the law grandfathers in guns made prior to the new law. (which is not a ban, but a requirement to put a SN on newly home manufactured guns) then it would be necessary to prove that your home made unserialized gun was made after the law went into effect.

This will be easy to prove for the average schmo. But for someone who is careful to cover their tracks could be impossible. For example.

1) you spend 2 nights googling and researching 80% lowers on your computer then buy one from a well known maker. - super easy for them to establish date of purchase/completion.

2) you go to a gun show and buy an 80% lower for cash having never researched or discussed the subject on the internet and not purchasing any tools to complete it. - very difficult for them to establish date of purchase/completion.

I see that the DPS-3C has been updated to include a block for ‘unfinished frame/receiver.’ I was under the impression that the new law had to deal with 80% receivers that were machines into firearms. This almost implies that an 80% receiver is an FFL item now.

ETA: I stand corrected. According to the new law, on page 6 Section 5 of the new Public Act an unfinished receiver is treated the same way as a completed firearm.

Attachments

• 22A01DC1-79D4-49CA-8818-6147E933D809.jpeg
    22A01DC1-79D4-49CA-8818-6147E933D809.jpeg
    142 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
This is a great catch on your part.

But this doesn't mean that you need to use a DPS-3 to buy or sell an unfinished frame of less than 80% completion. The law does not say this.
There is no reason for this to be there other than in preparation for another law next year that considers blocks of aluminum to be firearms. ;-)

Take a read of the actual bill as passed. It requires you to get a serial number from the DESPP once you build up a firearm from an unfinished receiver/frame.

Nothing more.

Here's a link.

https://www.cga.ct.gov/2019/ACT/pa/pdf/2019PA-00006-R00HB-07219-PA.pdf

The law doesn't get into the verbiage of percentages of completion of a receiver but rather simply calls them an 'unfinished frame or lower receiver.'

Subsection (i) on Page 10 defines what an 'unfinished frame or lower receiver' is and essentially defines an 80% receiver without calling it as such. A 0% receiver would not reasonably apply.

Regarding the need for the DPS-3C for a sale of an unfinished frame or lower receiver, 29-36 Section 5 (on Pages 6-10) outlines the procedure for 'purchase or receive or sell, deliver or otherwise transfer' whereby it refers you to Section 29-33 in subsection 'b'. This is interesting because that CGS only deals with the 'sale, delivery, or transfer of pistols and revolvers. Procedure. Penalty.' Under 29-33, it states that you must hold a PP, EC, or retail sale permit and then 29-33(e) which described the DPS-3C process. It would appear that a DPS-3C transfer is the only way that an unfinished frame or lower receiver is permitted to be transferred post October 1, 2019. Thoughts?

The irony is the last sentence on Page 10: "An 'unfinished frame or lower receiver' is not a firearm, as defined in 18 USC 921(a), as amended from time to time." The legislature has determined that they can put special purchase requirements on a non-firearm and determine that it is a firearm per the special procedures. Let that sink in.

This is a great catch on your part.

But this doesn't mean that you need to use a DPS-3 to buy or sell an unfinished frame of less than 80% completion. The law does not say this.
There is no reason for this to be there other than in preparation for another law next year that considers blocks of aluminum to be firearms. ;-)

Take a read of the actual bill as passed. It requires you to get a serial number from the DESPP once you build up a firearm from an unfinished receiver/frame.

Nothing more.

Here's a link.

https://www.cga.ct.gov/2019/ACT/pa/pdf/2019PA-00006-R00HB-07219-PA.pdf

Thanks for providing the link. Any insight in how this applies to non-residents, who are licensed in CT, and may bring a lawfully-owned firearm with them which does not have a serial?

Are non-resident exempt from the requirement to serialize? If not, can they even obtain a serial from DESPP?

It has nothing to do with a non-resident who wants to bring an unserialized firearm into the state.

If you are legal to do it with a serialized version. then feel free to go in.

MU2Bdriver - good info. I don't have time to read now But will soon. Thank you.

It has nothing to do with a non-resident who wants to bring an unserialized firearm into the state.

If you are legal to do it with a serialized version. then feel free to go in.

MU2Bdriver - good info. I don't have time to read now But will soon. Thank you.

Thank you

One other thing. Remember that as long as your long gun is not an AW. You can do whatever you want with it in CT with no licenses.

No license or permit is required to hunt with, possess, target shoot with, or drive around with any long gun that is not an AW.

There are also no transport requirements for non-AW long guns in CT other than that they must be unloaded.

So for example, when I go bird hunting I will break open my double barrel shotgun and set the butt on the passenger seat floor and let hot air from the floor vent blow into the open breach end of the barrels. When I get home the gun is:

1) dry
2) warm so that there isn't a danger of condensation on the gun when I bring the cold gun into the warm house.

you can actually do that in MA, since there are no transport restrictions on non-large capacity rifles or shotguns. But most cops don't seem to know that, so there is more risk.

Back
Top Bottom