Need help ordering new press

I'm brand new to reloading. Midway gave me a birthday special price on a new Hornady Lock-N-Load AP Progressive Press of $314.00. I want to load 45 acp and 38's to start.

What should I order while I'm ordering the press?

Hey Bugs,

What kind of quantities of rounds are we talking about? I'll be back in a few with some accessories...

Obviously, DIES! Since you are loading pistols, get CARBIDE dies. Don't waste your time on anything less. I did and regret it. Applying case lube, removing case lube, crap sticking to the cases and scratching the plain dies - stupid. Get carbide dies!

Then get a Lee Factory Crimp Die (FCD), which is a carbide taper crimp die that you use LAST. It does a wonderful job of final-sizing the cartridges, greatly eliminating chambering problems.

And a set of the LNL bushings for each die in the set, so you can do the quick changes the press is designed for.

You will also need a tumbler. I like the vibratory cleaners, but some like the rotating drum (rock hound) tumblers. That means media.

You will need a scale to set the powder thrower on the LNL. Maybe some pharmacist's weights, if you want to be really thorough.

Manuals. ALWAYS use at least two different sources for powders and charge weights. These can be supplemented by downloads from web.

Calibers. You need to be able to measure cartridge length, bullet OD, etc. Most people cope with dial calipers; digital is easier to read and has the added bonus of inch/metric conversion, if you shoot those wussy Euro calibers.

Primer tray. You need to get ALL the primers facing the same way to load them into the tube.

That should keep you busy - and broke - for a while.

Ok, here we go:

Calipers for measuring cartridge overall length.

Tumbler with media and media separator - You'll need these to clean your cases before reloading. You can get away with not having the media separator, but if you don't get it, you'll regret not having it.

Digital scale - This is an inexpensive one from eBay that's as accurate as the PACT scale that I have, and more accurate and easier to use than a balance.

Powder pan for scale - put this on the scale above, press the "tare" button, and weigh away.

Hornady/Lee taper crimp dies for .45 and .38 - You'll want the Hornady taper crimp die for the .45 ACP because the Lee is too long and hits the ejector wire on the press (I know from experience). The Lee .38 factory crimp die is OK though.

Hornady .45 ACP dies - These dies are a bit more expensive than Lee but well worth it. They have the best bullet seating dies in the industry.

L-N-L Bushings (10 -pack)

Hornady .357/.38 dies - Ditto

Bullet puller, because everyone makes mistakes.

Last edited:
I've got about 2000 38 casings and 1200 .45acp casings that I've saved up. Also I shoot a lot of 9mm, 32-20 and 41 mag.

Just reloading the .41 mag and 32-20 would pay for the press.

Would I have to mail order all this equipment or is there some place local that I can get most of it in person?

Last edited:
I've got about 2000 38 casings and 1200 .45acp casings that I've saved up. Also I shoot a lot of 9mm, 32-20 and 41 mag.

Just reloading the .41 mag and 32-20 would pay for the press.

Would I have to mail order all this equipment or is there some place local that I can get most of it in person?

You're better off ordering it if the shipping is reasonable. You'll have a hard time finding most of that stuff locally. Kittery Trading Post has some stuff, but Midway is a lot cheaper - even with the shipping. Buy your primers and powder locally.

Your payback will be quickest with the .41 mag and .32-20. I "paid mine off" with 10mm and .500 S&W Mag.

Just for the record, they're "cases" and not "casings".

Sorry about the cases and casings I was taught that in the Airborne.

Thank you for all the information I copied it as a shopping list.

Last edited:
One minor correction on Eddie's list make that a KINETIC bullet puller. There is a bullet puller that uses collets that can be used in a press to pull bullets but it doesn't work on certain types of bullets and may deform others.

Good point. Don't worry, the one I linked to is a kinetic (impact type) bullet puller.

Last edited:
Lyman manual 48th edition is the latest that I have. AND I have the Speer manuals 12 and 13. IMHO the Lyman is very good as it has extensive loads for both jacketed and lead bullets plus loads of of other information on reloading

The price of the Hornady lock n load AP came out to $314 and their going to send me as a bonus 1000 .45, .451 230 grain HP/XTP bullets worth $246.21.

So the press cost me $67.79

So as soon as I get the press I'll take a day and order every thing else and when ever thing is together I'll set it up.

I want to thank every one for their help. It saved me time and money and I really appreciate all the time you spent helping me.

The price of the Hornady lock n load AP came out to $314 and their going to send me as a bonus 1000 .45, .451 230 grain HP/XTP bullets worth $246.21.

So as soon as I get the press I'll take a day and order every thing else and when ever thing is together I'll set it up.

I want to thank every one for their help. It saved me time and money and I really appreciate all the time you spent helping me.

WOW! Nice price. I have an L-N-L. If you have any questions while you're setting up, feel free to PM me. Good luck!

Let me know how it goes. My LnL will be on my doorstep tomorrow. [smile] I haven't decided yet on 1000 .40 S&W's or .38's yet.

Actually, crap! I hope this free bullet offer is good for us behind the Iron Curtain. I'm reading the redemption form, and in the list of requirements and restrictions, it states, "Void where prohibited by law". [frown] [thinking] [angry]

Actually, crap! I hope this free bullet offer is good for us behind the Iron Curtain. I'm reading the redemption form, and in the list of requirements and restrictions, it states, "Void where prohibited by law". [frown] [thinking] [angry]

I was wondering that too. I'd just submit it without making notice. There was a recall with some Fiocci ammo a while ago. I had to return about 15 boxes. They had no problem sending me replacements... I wasn't BUYING it from them they were just sending me replacements. Maybe it's ok if they aren't SELLING it? It's a stretch but who the hell knows!

I got just about every thing coming except the dies.

Now when I order the dies do I need a shellplate or any thing else?

Should I just call Hornady and ask them what I need?

My LnL arrived today. You'll at least need a shell plate for every caliber you want to load. Plus enough bushings to cover the dies. I'd also recommend the powder thru expanders. I didn't buy them, thinking my Lee Powder thru dies would work, but they won't, so I'll have to put the funnel adapter in them and use them as a standard expander die. I'm also wishing I'd ordered extra primer tubes.

My LnL arrived today. You'll at least need a shell plate for every caliber you want to load. Plus enough bushings to cover the dies. I'd also recommend the powder thru expanders. I didn't buy them, thinking my Lee Powder thru dies would work, but they won't, so I'll have to put the funnel adapter in them and use them as a standard expander die. I'm also wishing I'd ordered extra primer tubes.

Mark, do you want to borrow a shellplate? I have the ones you need.

Mark, do you want to borrow a shellplate? I have the ones you need.

No, thanks Jim, I knew I had to order the shellplates. It's the other stuff I listed I wish I'd gotten to save shipping. I probably should've gotten a shellplate for 7.62x39, though. I have about 700 cases ready to load, and it'll be nice not to have to load them on my Lee single stage now.

No, thanks Jim, I knew I had to order the shellplates. It's the other stuff I listed I wish I'd gotten to save shipping. I probably should've gotten a shellplate for 7.62x39, though. I have about 700 cases ready to load, and it'll be nice not to have to load them on my Lee single stage now.

As luck would have it, the 7.62 x 39 uses the No. 6 shellplate - same as for your .38.

I just picked up a great steel table 24x48 with a 3/4 inch wooden top off of craigslist for $35.00. The best part it was close to me.

It has steel bars connecting all the legs and it's perfect for a reloading bench.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom