Need help, new 1911 finish f'ed up

Somehow, the black on my new S&W 1911 has been messed up. There is a Circle off to the side of the hole for the slide lock. It looks like either the finish is gone or lightened up. There is no way it is just wear from the slide stop, as it extends about 1/16away from the hole. I have tried to use a Birchwood-Casey gun Blue pen to no avail to repair a scratch in the area, and fear that may have ruined the surrounding area. Has anybody used the Birchwood casey SUper Black touch up pens. I am afraid that maybe my use of the blueing pen may have made it worse, so don't really want to send it to S&W. Any experience with the Super Black pen?

Last edited:
03roushs1 said:
Somehow, the black on my new S&W 1911 has been messed up. There is a Circle off to the side of the hole for the slide lock. It looks like either the finish is gone or lightened up. There is no way it is just wear from the slide stop, as it extends about 1/16away from the hole. I have tried to use a Birchwood-Casey gun Blue pen to no avail to repair a scratch in the area, and fear that may have ruined the surrounding area. Has anybody used the Birchwood casey SUper Black touch up pens. I am afraid that maybe my use of the blueing pen may have made it worse, so don't really want to send it to S&W. Any experience with the Super Black pen?

I'd post this question over on pistolsmith.com and see what the experts have to say about it.

You're sure this is a steel frame, and not an alloy?

Brownells sells an aluminum blackener for dealing with the alloys.

If it IS steel, might could be some kind of high tech black paint finish. I'm not sure how something that was intended for use on BLUED steel will get along with that.

Regards
John

Smith and Wesson has a lifetime warranty on all their pistols. I'm not sure if this includes finish but it might. I would give them a call and if it is the case they will even send you a shipping label to ship it back to them for free. I'm sure they will help you out. Just tell they you believe it to be a manufactures defect.

Pete

Try Aluma Black- it works on both carbon stell and aluminum. Made by Birchwood Casey, clean the area first with a small amount of carb or brake cleaner first with a q tip. Greg

Back
Top Bottom