• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Need help 38spcl for a 357case

Yes. That's what I do. I sold off all of my 38 spl brass and just use 357 mag brass for both 38 spl and 357 mag loads. I'm lazy and didn't want to adjust my dies...

Yes. That's what I do. I sold off all of my 38 spl brass and just use 357 mag brass for both 38 spl and 357 mag loads. I'm lazy and didn't want to adjust my dies...

How do you fit the .357 Magnum cases in a .38 Special revolver?

- - - Updated - - -

Can I load a 38spcl in a 357mag case with the .357dia?

If you mean can you use .38 Special data with .357 Mag cases and bullets, then, "Yes".

ETA: Some people will tell you to increase the charge slightly to get the same results because the .357 mag case is larger. These are people that read stuff on the internet and spit it back out. You don't have to do this. There's no detectable difference.

Last edited:
How do you fit the .357 Magnum cases in a .38 Special revolver?

- - - Updated - - -

If you mean can you use .38 Special data with .357 Mag cases and bullets, then, "Yes".

ETA: Some people will tell you to increase the charge slightly to get the same results because the .357 mag case is larger. These are people that read stuff on the internet and spit it back out. You don't have to do this. There's no detectable difference.

[laugh] Yes I should have been more clear, I use 38 spl data with 357 mag cases and bullets.

ok so
38spl bullets are .357-. 358" correct
357mag is .357"
so yes you can use "38spl" bullets in a "357" case or gun. I like andrew load everything in 357 cases to shoot from my 357 revolver as i eas tired of adjusting dies and to cheap to buy a separate die set for each.... i also gre tired of the "ring" build up in the cylinder from shooting 38spl cases in the 357 revolver

I'd think the rim on the .38 Special round would squash the mouth on the .357 case as you attempt to seat it...

...either that or the rim of the .38 Special round would prevent insertion into your revolver's cylinder if seated in reverse fashion.

How about a .357-level charge in a .38 Special case...
ZRuAkIil.jpg

...needs a .357 Magnum cylinder/firearm, of course.

Last edited:
I prefer .38 loads in .357 cases just for ease of cleaning as mentioned. No carbon rings in the cylinders. Of course using a .357 revolver.

I will add my 357 , light loads are very light.
I use 158gn cast bullet that drops from the mold at just under .359 with 3 grains of clays is just a fun load.

I will add my 357 , light loads are very light.
I use 158gn cast bullet that drops from the mold at just under .359 with 3 grains of clays is just a fun load.

I use a coated or plated 158 gr bullet over 4 gr of bullseye.

I use 3.2 grains of 231 or Tite group (can't remember which at the moment) with a 148 DEWC, I've used it in both 38 and 357 cases with no issues

I like loading up 148gr lead wadcutters for plinking / target. I just use .38 load data but .357 cases.

Back
Top Bottom