Need computer help.

Does anyone know of a shop that would replace the power outlet on my laptop ? It's a Gateway NV53 .I tried a different power cord to no avail.For awhile if you wiggled the plug in the comp. outlet it would power up/charge but now nothing. Experts ?

there are places you can send it off for repair, i forget the cost. if it's easy to get to you can solder it back on yourself. i've done this repair a few times, but it's been like six years since i've done it. can you dig up some pictures of the laptop? maybe some off google where it's stripped down to the board?

all that is wrong is that the DC jack solder points weakened and broke off the board, it's an easy fix if you can access the solder points.

This happened to my laptop (different than yours) and there was no soldering required. It had a lead with a connector that attached to the board.

Easy to fix...the bitch part is getting the laptop apart without breaking anything.
I have fixed several different laptops with this same problem.
You can usually google or youtube and find instructions for disasembly.

This happened to my laptop (different than yours) and there was no soldering required. It had a lead with a connector that attached to the board.

how old was the laptop? this may be more the case on a newer one, but on an older laptop it's most likely solder points.

I think 3 years old. I tried to fix my sons laptop a couple years ago. The short story is I took it out back and shot it with a 12 guage.

I just looked up the repair online and it's way above my labor grade. If you can't heat it up with a torch and pound it straight or weld it, I might as well get out the Mossberg. I'll keep trying to find a shop to repair it .

eBay has a couple with a 'buy it now' price of $200 and $219. The hard drive is usually pretty simple to swap from one to another. I suspect you'll pay around $200 to fix yours.

My brother-in-law used to run a PC repair business and would tear down a laptop to solder the connector. It was always at least a couple of hours to open it up, fix it, and put humpty-dumpty back together.

He closed up shop, so he won't fix yours.

They can suck to do. I have done a lot of them. Usually about 2 hours to take apart and put back together. The actual repair takes a minute and if you need one a 2 dollar jack. I have done dozens of them and they all suck. Very few have a detached plug unfortunately.
Some just need a re-solder. They get so hot they unsolder themselves.
As someone else mentioned it may be cheaper in teh long run to buy an identical model and swap your hard drive into it.

Not sure where you are located, if you can get it to me I can fix it for you reasonably.

Back
Top Bottom