Need advice and attorney for a LTC Appeal

Wow, not going to touch THAT with a ten foot poll. Good luck to you, though. There are several lawyers on this forum, perhaps one will get in touch with you.

but what about you? or do you focus on a different aspect of gun laws?

just curious, that is all [grin]

Yes, my gun law practice focuses on other aspects of the licensing, training and criminal violations processs.

I prefer to refer judicial review cases to other great lawyers like Scrivener and Jesse Cohen as thay are both superb in this civil appeal area.

In MA the gun law field is too specialized to try to focus on everything.

I'm always impressed by a professional who will refer a potential client to someone else, knowing that the other person would do a better job. +1 for Cross-X!

Not to wishing to be the bearer of even more bad news...

Now even if you were to move to another community and applied for an LTC there, you'd have to answer "yes" to the question that asks if you've ever been denied a license in the past.

Good luck.

Hope everything eventually is cleared up.

Not to wishing to be the bearer of even more bad news...

Now even if you were to move to another community and applied for an LTC there, you'd have to answer "yes" to the question that asks if you've ever been denied a license in the past.

Good luck.

Hope everything eventually is cleared up.

Not if he appeals and gets the denial overturned, I believe. I think Scrivener related a tale similar to this that another attorney handled, but the exact details escape me.

In any case, jyp1911, good luck with your appeal.

Last edited:
Hopefully I can talk to the licensing officer and maybe resolve this out of court.
Don't do this without having an attorney read ALL of your paperwork and advise you on the approach to use. You will also need to decide if you wish to handle this talk personally, visit the officer with the attorney present, or have the attorney do the talking without you present.

Don't simply go in and give the info to your attorney verbally - it is important he or she know exactly what is on the official record, not your personal recollection of it - and also have confidence in the accuracy of the data. Sorry, if the attorney is competent giving him/her a verbal summary will not instill confidence that you have provided a full and complete picture of the situation. Also, reading the actual documents will be far more effecient that billable conversation with you about the past incident. What is really going to matter is what you can prove, not what you can assert. It sounds like this would take a decent attorney at least several hours to wade through, and you're probably looking at a 4 digit price tag (maybe more)

As to your original attorney - a dropping of the charges shows that the DA did not feel they had enough to convict you whereas a "not guilty" finding is by no means proof of innocence. It sounds to me like your attorney wanted billable courtroom time to add to your invoice.

I had to pass an extensive background check in order to get this job so I saw no reason why I would not be approved for a LTC.
I'm surprised the armored car company gave you a job with a CWOF/ASF for receiving stolen material. It's not fair, but I wouldn't hire a babysitter who had been CWOFed for child abuse, and I wouldn't hire someone with your record if I owned the car company. And yes, I realize this is not fair - just talking the way it is. On the other hand, I would welcome you at any of the gun clubs I am a member of and would be glad to spend time on the range with you.

Last edited:
Don't know if you were able to obtain anyone's services from this forum, but if for some reason they are already swamped with other cases you could give Karen MacNutt a try.

I briefly attained her services at the advice of some from this forum, and for a small fee she looked over my case and gave me some legal advice. Luckily mine was not so complicated as yours and I did not need further legal help (in MA anyway) to sort things out. As soon as my "problems" are settled (hopefully early-mid March) I plan on sharing my experience with the forum.

Anyhow, she is very knowledgeable and, from what I've heard, has a great reputation as a firearm attorney.

Good luck, and keep us up to date (if your attorney says it's OK)!

Back
Top Bottom