Need a low cost two-way to augment current radios for Church

pastera

NES Member
My church has several "Pro Series CP220" radios and we are finding ourselves needing more.

The radio is actually a HYT TC-500U - I checked both the FCC and IC data:
https://industrycanada.co/number.php?ic=5465A-TC500U&id=105297
https://fccid.io/R74TC-500

The need is only within our building and parking lot so we don't need the higher power output (would program any new radio for min power)

I can get a pack of six BaoFeng BF-888S radios for about $80 shipped - I know they aren't Motorola, but we are purchasing what we can afford and they are only used for a few hours three times a week.

Anyone know if these two radios can be made to interoperate? Or would I need to just switch over to all the same radio.

You shouldn't have any trouble programming the Baofeng 888s' on the same frequency as your current radios, since they are both UHF and the 888s' cover a wider range than your current radios.

One thing you should know is that the 888s radios feel very cheap. I just picked up a pair to go along with my other Baofeng UV-5R variant radios and I was surprised by how delicate they feel, especially when inserting the battery. I do so very carefully, because it feels like the thing is going to crack in my hand.

That being said, I was pleasantly surprised with how well they worked. I tested up to a mile away with a hill in between me and my house and both radios worked fine. On one radio I swapped out the stock antenna for a 7.5" ExpertPower antenna ($7 on Amazon) and it sounded as clear as my UV-5R's, according to my wife. The one with the stock antenna was a bit muffled, but we could still hear each other fine.

They use the same 888s radios at my church and I haven't heard any complaints, so my own impression of their durability should be taken with a grain of salt. Definitely can't go wrong for the price.

Love my baofeng. It's light, cheap, and does it all. I can get my licensed vhf channel, marine channels, fm, and also work since our 800 trunking is simulcasted on uhf. It literally does everything I want. I wouldn't let the price fool you. A friend has his going strong over two years.

Thanks - if they are a little cheap, that's okay given we can buy ten of these for the price of a "commercial" radio.

Hopefully I will be able to read the programming from the old radio to copy - could bring one to work and check it with a spectrum analyser but would rather not.

Sent from my C6530 using Tapatalk

Can't go wrong with Baofengs. Been using 6 UV-b6 here on the property for a couple of years now, no problems at all.

Just bought 4 of the newer UV82 for $24.99 each and free shipping from Amazon.....how can you go wrong?

Speaker mics are about $5 and the audio is very good from them.

Can't go wrong with Baofengs. Been using 6 UV-b6 here on the property for a couple of years now, no problems at all.

Just bought 4 of the newer UV82 for $24.99 each and free shipping from Amazon.....how can you go wrong?

Speaker mics are about $5 and the audio is very good from them.

I second this.

Works great...good power and reception. I can hit the Paxton repeater from Shirley on my UV82.

could bring one to work and check it with a spectrum analyser but would rather not.

Lol, don't, you would shit your pants at how dirty the TX is on those radios. Baofengs are shitty skinflint radios, but they are cheap and seem to be reliable enough at least. Honestly in your app id try to find some cheap used commercial rigs first... keep it simple instead of giving someone something with buttons that can get ****ed up. If you go the baofeng route you will want to figure out how to lock the panels out for sure.

-Mike

Lol, don't, you would shit your pants at how dirty the TX is on those radios. Baofengs are shitty skinflint radios, but they are cheap and seem to be reliable enough at least. Honestly in your app id try to find some cheap used commercial rigs first... keep it simple instead of giving someone something with buttons that can get ****ed up. If you go the baofeng route you will want to figure out how to lock the panels out for sure.

-Mike
For the amount of use they will get crappy TX isn't too much of an issue. The better radios will go to where it matters.

To be honest it's for church security, our biggest job is getting the medical volunteers and they will have the better radios. There really aren't enough non-targets among us to be much more than a speed bump.

Sent from my C6530 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom