Need a good optic

Running an M&P15 sport. Wondering what are people's opinions as I wanr t to buy an optic for it. Red dot alone, red dot w/magnifier, or a fixed magnified scope? Shooting 50 and 100 yards not much further.

How's your vision? I can't run a red dot because the dot looks like a 10 MOA blob because of my cataracts.

You can't go wrong with aimpoint. Either PRO, or T1. PRO is less expensive, can be had for about $400 if you shop. I played with Trijicon's newish MRO last fall right after they came out, and I liked it. Smaller size than the PRO, but same size(maybe even larger) objective lens for better field of view.

Aimpoint's claim to fame is battery life. The one I bought in May has been left on by accident more than it's shut off (for a couple of weeks at a time) and the original batter is still going strong.

I rn a couple different optics on my ARs and have been happy with them. Aimpoint PROs and Leupold 1.5-5x with firedot. I am just getting to where my vision is not what it was and the PRO is fine out to 100 yards for social work. For anything more detailed or longer I go to a Leupold.

What is your budget?

no matter what you answer is to the above question, invest 4x that in ammo and become proficient with iron sights.
I am pretty good with existing iron sights at 50, shakier at 100 yards. Regardless this is not meant to replace them I would still practice with both but I woukd like an optic

You can't go wrong with aimpoint. Either PRO, or T1. PRO is less expensive, can be had for about $400 if you shop. I played with Trijicon's newish MRO last fall right after they came out, and I liked it. Smaller size than the PRO, but same size(maybe even larger) objective lens for better field of view.

i'm leaning that way for that reason (lighter than Pro).

I'm all over the place with optics for my rifles.

One thing I can ask is what are you looking to achieve.
Are you looking just to get hits on torso size targets or are you looking to put small holes on specific areas of the targets?
Red dot and "hunting" scopes are great for getting in the general "hit" zone.
Want to shoot nice small groups you need to put the cross hairs inside that small area. My leupold on 8x covers a 1.5" area at 100 yards.

Have fun..... I'm still looking.
Right now my best scopes are as follows
Old leupold vxIII 2.5x8x32 has held zero and taken a good long 20plus years of use on many guns.
Hawke sidewinder it's ok but the hash marks are a bit big
Hawke Air max with map 6 ret. I like this scope but it's AO is,up front on the bell and hard to adjust.
Eotech 512-----it's ok and I,have had zero problems other than the outer ring is "splattered" ...
This is my "hit" on target optic.
Then there's my poor old Tasco propoint from the good old made in Japan days. Been taken a,beating since the mid 90s. Holds zero , batter life is,ok and it's a fun optic.
Burris speed,bead was nice also but let that go with the gun it was on.....
Played with some lower end red dots and found most made me sad......
Have fun try as,many as you can

I,would have to dig out my 10/22 I forget what old school scope is,on that but it works very well @ 50 yards.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom