Need 9mm and 50 cal casting mold recommendations

Looking for mold recommendations. I'm probably going to go with a lee molds due to the price (and the fact I've never cast bullets - only fishing sinkers) I'm looking into start casting my own 9mm rounds. I've seen a lot of different mold listed, but I do not (unfortunately) know much about them. I want to be able to cast and lube without having to press size. These rounds will be shot mostly in my Ruger P95. Also looking for a good 50 cal muzzleloader mold for both target and hunting to shoot from both my flintlocks and in-lines. (maxi\mini type - not round ball)Again - I want to cast and lube without the sizing. ANY recommendations, package numbers, etc. would be helpful before I make my purchases. Thanks in advance for the info.

As far as mold go I've used either RCBS or Redding blocks. Lee are ok if you don't have a lot of cash, Never had good luck with Lyman never seemed to stand up to the long term use. I've an LBT block for my 45 Colt works well though pricey and finally I have 2 Rapine molds one for .30 cal and the other .32/8 mm that give excellent bullet with little effort. My 9mm mold is a 120gr RN made by Redding and it's a 4 cavity IIRC,been a while since I cast up 9mm I got something like 4 or5 k cast up and ready to size.

I use Lyman.Rapine and RCBS. For the 9mm you'll need a hard bullet since autos tend to have shallower rifling than revolvers. Something like 3 parts wheelweights and 1 part linotype should be hard enough. You can also add 50/50 solder to lead and wheelweights to make a hard alloy. If you have to pay for the metals to blend your alloy,keep in mind that you can buy sized and lubed 9mm bullets for about $70.00 per thousand. For the .50 cal you need pure lead and what you shoot depends on the bore and groove diameter as well as the twist rate. If your flintlock is a traditional style rifle it may have a twist rate of 1 turn in 60 to 72 inches. If thats the case it probably won't stabilize anything other than a round ball. 1 turn in 48 inches is for both round balls and short bullets like the Thompson center Maxi ball or the Lee REAL bullet. Some are rifled with a fast twist of about 1 turn in 24 inches and are designed for long heavy bullets.

I usea a Lyman 124G round nose that has to be lubrisized and a 124G Lee tumble lube, no sizing required but use liquid Alox. They both shoot very well. I cast mine using pure lino because 9mm's are prone to leading. To much tin in a mix wil cause the bullet to solder the bore.
For the fifty, I use the Lyman equivilent to the T/C Maxi and it shoots like stink! That one you hand lube with whatever. I use auto grease.

Back
Top Bottom