Nearsighted and using BUIS on an AR15.

I'm nearsighted with an approximate prescription of -1.25 in one eye and -1.5 in the other. I'm currently using my Oakley Rx sunglasses for shooting (excellent glasses) but I want to get something more appropriate. I'm probably going to get some Rudy Project glasses with an Rx insert and interchangeable lenses.

I'm new to rifles and my question is, when shooting a rifle with iron sights, where are you looking? The target or the sights? If both, it's a tough problem for a single prescription it seems.

I could probably deal with my normal prescription but I'm wondering if that should be tweaked at all for this purpose.

Borrow/try rifles with different sights. I you want to use iron sights, you want to see the front sight clearly. A peep rear with a front post may work for you. Jack.

Thanks for the reply Jack.

What you describe is essentially what I'm using now. I have an M&P15FTwith a Troy BUIS set. So far I've only used the rifle at 25 yards and I feel like I'm getting good results. However, I just want to make sure I'm doing everything correctly.

You need to focus on the front sight. Your eye can only focus on one thing at a time. You can't focus on the target, front sight, and rear sight at the same time. Line up on the target, then focus on the front sight. The rear sight and target will get blurry. That's true whether you have 20-20 vision or are like me with -11 in one eye and -12 in the other.

Laser surgery isn't going to let you see the target, front sight, and rear sight at the same time. Fundamentally, your eye can only focus at one distance at a time. You've got three different distances to pick from: target, front sight, rear sight. You've got to pick one.

Nearsightedness doesn't come into play.

Farsightedness, on the other hand, is an issue. If your eye can't focus close enough to see the front sight, then you are just screwed. And btw, laser surgery reduces the eyes ability to compensate for farsightedness.

Last edited:
It's simple physics. Any lens can only focus on one distance at a time. Your eye is nothing more than a complex organic lens with a cellular receptor instead of film or a camera sensor, etc.

If you can focus on the front sight, that's what matters most.

Back
Top Bottom