Naturalized Citizen/LTC

I was wondering if anyone here is a naturalized U.S. Citizen and applied for an LTC. I have been a proud one for about 20 years.

On the online app. for the class A LTC I downloaded they ask for naturalization papers. Just wondering why a passport wouldn't suffice.

Curious if anyone else here has encountered the same situation.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

I provided the info about naturalization..don't you have your "papers"?

I went in the place where I keep all important docs. and I couldn't find it there. So I'm panicking now.

Did you have to include a copy of the certificate or just the Naturalization Number?

Last edited:
Specially when you have it for most of your life.
On the USCIS gov website it states Passport is proof of citizenship

But like many things in Massachusetts, the police seems to make their own laws.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...toid=a910cac09aa5d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD

Sorry I think these is the correct link, I get a headache every time I look at their website.

Yep, got it. Hopefully I will be able to locate my original one. As I should.

Thanks for the help.

I believe the form requires the number. The issuing agency may, or may not, require a look at the actual certificate.

I became a US citizen in September 2011 and I got my LTC (restricted) in March 2012 and you need copy of your naturalization papers.

When you find it, scan it into your computer along with other important documents and you'll have an easily retrieved/printable copy when you need it.

Ditto here. A copy of naturalization certificate is required.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Forum Runner

Hmmm, I lost my certificate a really long time ago while moving around, I had my number and passport though. I got LTCA. Good luck dude!

Thanks all. I will ask when I go to the PD, but hopefully I will find the original one.

Boris said:
Hmmm, I lost my certificate a really long time ago while moving around, I had my number and passport though. I got LTCA. Good luck dude!

How do you pull the string to get LTC-A without the certificate?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Forum Runner

Something to remember is that under certain conditions a Non-US citizen can be issued a US Passport. There is a rare status of being a US National which is not the same as being a US Citizen.

A naturalized US citizen needs to keep his/her certificate of naturalization, and at least his/her naturalization number.

While this is not going to win me any rep points, except maybe negative ones, a simple social fact is that naturalized U.S. Citizens under some circumstances and situations are viewed as a lesser order of being, and are not quite on the same level as a natural born citizen. As much as we make out of being a nation of immigrants, there is still at times an odious stigma about being foreign born and unfortunately this manifests itself from time to time. I fear that for any US Citizen that did it the hard way (and the right way) by lawful immigration and applying for citizenship "Your papers please" will always be a fact of life. I am not talking ideology here, but rather reality.

under some circumstances and situations are viewed as a lesser order of being, and are not quite on the same level as a natural born citizen.

I am only aware of two such circumstances:

- Eligibility to run for president

- Eligibility to be stripped of US citizenship. A naturalized citizen can be stripped of citizenship for fraud in application (generally war crimes and the like), but a natural born citizen can under no circumstances have his/her US citizenship involuntarily revoked.

Did I miss any?

When I applied for my license, the licensing officer was actually surprised that I brought a copy of my naturalization cert. He said that only the number was necessary.

I am only aware of two such circumstances:

- Eligibility to run for president

- Eligibility to be stripped of US citizenship. A naturalized citizen can be stripped of citizenship for fraud in application (generally war crimes and the like), but a natural born citizen can under no circumstances have his/her US citizenship involuntarily revoked.

Did I miss any?

Nope, I don't believe so.

Something to remember is that under certain conditions a Non-US citizen can be issued a US Passport. There is a rare status of being a US National which is not the same as being a US Citizen.

A naturalized US citizen needs to keep his/her certificate of naturalization, and at least his/her naturalization number.

While this is not going to win me any rep points, except maybe negative ones, a simple social fact is that naturalized U.S. Citizens under some circumstances and situations are viewed as a lesser order of being, and are not quite on the same level as a natural born citizen. As much as we make out of being a nation of immigrants, there is still at times an odious stigma about being foreign born and unfortunately this manifests itself from time to time. I fear that for any US Citizen that did it the hard way (and the right way) by lawful immigration and applying for citizenship "Your papers please" will always be a fact of life. I am not talking ideology here, but rather reality.

I don't know your circumstances and how you came to the conclusions that you have come to but I hold a naturalized citizen in high regard. They came here with a desire to be a citizen of this great country and did it the right way, took the oath of citizenship and embraced their new Home. I admire them for that.

I am a Citizen, not a natural born Citizen, and I respect those that have made the effort to become a Citizen. To many today have no idea what it means to be a Citizen.

They required US Passport and the Number for me. Took the certificate with me, but did not need it, however it is Mass, so everything is determined with a roll of the dice in the dark. Best of Luck.

Free Willie:

And I don't know how you think that somehow I am dissing Naturalized Citizens. You seem to come to some strange conclusions sometimes, I've noticed. Read more critically and you will see I am writing about reality not ideology. There is a certain prejudice or discrimination against those those who are naturalized citizens in some situations. I think it you would read a little more critically you would see that I wrote I fear that for any US Citizen that did it the hard way (and the right way) by lawful immigration... you would see I am on your side. Would you rather that you have your head in the sand like an ostrich?

We could of course, start with the Constitution of the United States...tell me when do you plan to run for President?

I am merely pointing out the obvious. In some cases you may even be denied a security clearance or be relegated to having a lower one. This is based on my experience.

Please don't shoot from the hip and kindly read critically because what I wrote is not what you allege.

MIRCS (and the paper application) require #, date and place of being made a Naturalized Citizen. It does not seem to require a copy of the papers. HOWEVER, I am aware that some PDs will not accept an application without seeing/being given a copy of the papers. Under "suitability" they have the discretion to make that determination per MGL. So, no a Passport won't meet the requirements per the MIRCS form.

Free Willie:

And I don't know how you think that somehow I am dissing Naturalized Citizens. You seem to come to some strange conclusions sometimes, I've noticed. Read more critically and you will see I am writing about reality not ideology. There is a certain prejudice or discrimination against those those who are naturalized citizens in some situations. I think it you would read a little more critically you would see that I wrote I fear that for any US Citizen that did it the hard way (and the right way) by lawful immigration... you would see I am on your side. Would you rather that you have your head in the sand like an ostrich?

We could of course, start with the Constitution of the United States...tell me when do you plan to run for President?

I am merely pointing out the obvious. In some cases you may even be denied a security clearance or be relegated to having a lower one. This is based on my experience.

Please don't shoot from the hip and kindly read critically because what I wrote is not what you allege.

I have a top secret security clearance. My naturalized co-worker has the same top secret security clearance. I know nothing of this discrimination you speak of. The information we have access to is pretty sensitive.

Well, I knew this was going to happen. After a long search I was able to find my certificate and now it's in a safe place, plus I have scanned it and saved a copy on my pc.

I'm glad obviously, and I appreciate you all taking the time to answer. I am glad to be part of this forum as well as being an American.

God bless, and can't wait to get my LTC.

Well, I knew this was going to happen. After a long search I was able to find my certificate and now it's in a safe place, plus I have scanned it and saved a copy on my pc.

I'm glad obviously, and I appreciate you all taking the time to answer. I am glad to be part of this forum as well as being an American.

God bless, and can't wait to get my LTC.

Excellent.

Back
Top Bottom