National reciprocity bill

I got this alert in my email this morning from the NRA. The reason I'm posting this is because it is stating exactly what myself and a couple of others mentioned in that heated debate that took place a week, or so ago in a similar thread. It specifically states that this bill is NOT going to make a federal level licensing system, but rather just make your regular state issued CCW permit recognized by other states that issue, just like a driver's license.

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Federal/Read.aspx?id=6331

Seems to be a step in the right direction..... but as is usual with firearm laws there seems to be much gray area. More reading must be done i tell you!

Can't see a downside to this(doesn't mean there isn't one hidden in the bill) but it allows a foothold to 100% national reciprocity!!!!

Yeah, I'm really hoping this passes, but I was amazed at the amount of negativity that was expressed on this site when this was discussed last time. The basic principles expressed in this bill were EXACTLY the same as what I suggested, yet for some reason I was almost ridiculed as being a fudd, or something for suggesting it.[rolleyes]

If this passes I can see Massachusetts saying that they won't honor it and still won't let out of staters carry without a non-res permit.

Can't see a downside to this(doesn't mean there isn't one hidden in the bill) but it allows a foothold to 100% national reciprocity!!!!

Sure there is a downside. Here in NJ we cannot CCW or even get a permit so I doubt that NJ will let out of staters CCW in this state even if the bill passes!

Let me somewhat amend my comments...

I would not support any bill that in any way restricts the rights of free men (residents of free states). Nor do I support giving the federal government any additional power. The Second Amendment should be one's license to carry.

Mass Firearms School
www.MassFirearmsSchool.com
[email protected]
781-559-3064

Follow MFS on Twitter

Sure there is a downside. Here in NJ we cannot CCW or even get a permit so I doubt that NJ will let out of staters CCW in this state even if the bill passes!

You are most likely correct, since it seems that the bill (if it passes) wouldn't necessarily change the licensing structure, only make it so states that allow CCW already to be reciprocal with the state that originally issued the traveler's permit/license, which is a step in the right direction inmo.

That would be correct, the bill specifically states it would only apply to states that issue CCW permits, a hell of a step in the right direction though.

i think its a great idea, it wouldn't force state to change their firearms laws,

(this would be a real pissing contest) but would allow anyone from a state

that allows it, to reciprcate. The 1995 comment got me thinking as well

Let me somewhat amend my comments...

I would not support any bill that in any way restricts the rights of free men (residents of free states). Nor do I support giving the federal government any additional power. The Second Amendment should be one's license to carry.

Mass Firearms School
www.MassFirearmsSchool.com
[email protected]
781-559-3064

Follow MFS on Twitter

Certainly a noble statement. I think I've even taken that stand myself.

However, if you're carrying without an LTC, you shouldn't post your location so publicly.

If you carry with an LTC, you obey the laws as they are, just like the rest of us, and a properly crafted national reciprocity law would help.

Perhaps someday, after dozens (hundreds?) more cases make their way to the SJC, we can rely only on the Contstitution again...and be protected from ridiculous prosecutions of law abiding citizens.

Last edited:
I'm all for any bill that would allow my LTC to be honored nationwide, just like my driver's license, and my marriage license.
Your driver's license is not recognized nationally by a federal manadate, it's granted reciprocity by voluntary agreements among the states.

The carry license agreements already work exactly like driver's licenses: mutual agreement, or in some cases universal recognition.

Getting the federal government involved is a bad, bad idea.

only in certain states, and this would make it more universal. This bill is not going to change the basic structure as it exists already, where the states have their own separate laws, so I don't see the issue.

Please stop. You know how this plays out? Same as unions the lowest common denominator becomes the standard. It won't help the suckwad states and will only hurt the free states. Let the states decide and let free men decide where to live and prosper.

The short answer is NO license requirement for CCW. Not more federal laws on firearm licensing. The fact that we are required to have a CCW in the first place in this state (MA) is a clear cut violation of the 2a. Now the feds want to recognize this violation with a regulation stating if you have a CCW in your home state than your good anywhere? That's almost like agreeing with the gun-grabbers saying IT ISN'T all of our right to carry concealed. It's just amazing how brain washed you get living in MA and thinking "CCW licensing isn't THAT bad". When in reality we are supporting our suppressed ways infect the rest of the country.

This will be opposed fiercely by free staters.

Why? It's not adding any burden onto the states. I look at this as a better version of FOPA. You are licensed to carry in your home state - either a physical card or it's a free state. You travel to another and will not have to bother getting a permit in that state and worry about pissing in a state that is in between those 2 states. Yes it will not be acceptable in 2 states and maybe some more will pass some asinine laws but in this climate those laws will be called out for what they are and there is actually a chance to win...

I agree that no licensing is the ideal but we are far from it and rather than clinging on to that, shouldn't we at least make it incrementally better?

This is a moot point, at least in this legislative session. Even if this bill does make it out of the House and passes through the Senate, what makes anyone think that the President would sign it?

Last edited:
Why? It's not adding any burden onto the states. I look at this as a better version of FOPA. You are licensed to carry in your home state - either a physical card or it's a free state. You travel to another and will not have to bother getting a permit in that state and worry about pissing in a state that is in between those 2 states. Yes it will not be acceptable in 2 states and maybe some more will pass some asinine laws but in this climate those laws will be called out for what they are and there is actually a chance to win...

I agree that no licensing is the ideal but we are far from it and rather than clinging on to that, shouldn't we at least make it incrementally better?

What you say here is exactly what I have been trying to say all along (only you were able to spell it out more concisely). I just don't get why some people are saying it will screw over people in the so-called free states? As it stands currently, even those people need non-resident permits for all but a few states anyway, so this can actually improve all of our situations, some more than others obviously. It's not like by some miracle ALL of the states that currently require permits are suddenly going to drop that requirement just because it seems to violate our 2A rights! That ship has sailed long ago folks, so why not try to make the best of a bad situation going forward? Of course I wish that the Feds would just force the states to drop the CCW requirements at the state level, but we all know that will never happen in our lifetime - especially given the current political climate!

The short answer is NO license requirement for CCW. Not more federal laws on firearm licensing. The fact that we are required to have a CCW in the first place in this state (MA) is a clear cut violation of the 2a. Now the feds want to recognize this violation with a regulation stating if you have a CCW in your home state than your good anywhere? That's almost like agreeing with the gun-grabbers saying IT ISN'T all of our right to carry concealed. It's just amazing how brain washed you get living in MA and thinking "CCW licensing isn't THAT bad". When in reality we are supporting our suppressed ways infect the rest of the country.

Ja.

So are we completely OK with having EVERYONE ccw? Past felons, they paid their debt to society... Released mental patients; say many threatened to kill people out of uncontrollable rage?

Should we have some restrictions or is every breathing person fair game? This would get tricky.
90% of the population are not trained gun gurus like NESers...

Ja.

So are we completely OK with having EVERYONE ccw? Past felons, they paid their debt to society... Released mental patients; say many threatened to kill people out of uncontrollable rage?

Should we have some restrictions or is every breathing person fair game? This would get tricky.

I agree with you, but be careful because you will quickly be accused of turning this into another "out yourself" thread![laugh]

As it stands currently, even those people need non-resident permits for all but a few states anyway

I f-ing showed you how wrong you were about THAT last time we went around this. Evidently you have learned NOTHING and don't understand why this attempt to fix YOUR shitty REGIONAL problem pisses us off so much.

The driver license compact is a VOLUNTARY agreement between states. There is NO FEDERAL LAW requiring that one state accept another's driver's license. Yet because you can't unf*ck your corner of the world, you want use federal power where it doesn't belong to fix the "problem" for you.

Of course I wish that the Feds would just force the states to drop the CCW requirements at the state level
THAT IS A MATTER FOR STATES TO DECIDE ON THEIR OWN. WHY CAN'T YOU GET WHAT LIMITED FEDERAL POWER MEANS THROUGH YOUR G-D HEAD?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ja.

How does Vermont do it?

Back
Top Bottom