• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

National Guardsmen in schools?

SKumar

NES Member
Not sure if anyone else here follows God Family and Guns on YT, but he made an interesting point at 6:55

Put a National Guardsman is every school in the country.

His rationale is:
-it's the perfect use for them "guarding the nation"
-they could use the work

There's no question that they're qualified (or closely capable of being so), the questions are:
1. Do we have adequate resources to implement this system?
2. Is this the the last resort, or do we need additional measures?

-they could use the work

Wait, what makes you think this? My NG company had maybe 5 people out of ~100 that didn't have full-time jobs outside of the NG, and most of them were students.

Edit: Didn't notice this wasn't your quote - still a valid question.

Not my quote. I actually don't know too much about NG, but if there are unused resources (outside their full time jobs), why not them guard the schools?

why does everyone think put military people in our schools is a good idea?! WTF?!
And more importantly, I've seen how "well trained" a lot of these people are. GMAFB

And FYI, before the haters jump on me, both my husband and I were NG, he was also FT Army 3 years.

And more importantly, I've seen how "well trained" a lot of these people are. GMAFB

Yeah... I'm not sure I would trust 50% of the people from my unit to hit the broad side of the barn under any sort of tactical situation / under duress. Granted we were a technical unit (ATC), but that described quite a lot of the NG. We were only able to hit the range maybe twice a year, and got to send 200 rounds downrange if we were lucky.

I was a Guardsman many years ago. I don't think it would be a wise idea. Incidents are rare, and I feel that the Guardsman may be a little distracted by the students that are just a few years younger.

FFS.

Do people realize that for every one guy at the tip of the spear as a door kicking shooter there are 300 cooks, clerks and jerks that support him?
Being a veteran doesn’t make one a specwarrior uniquely qualified to do anything. Don’t let all the internet warriors tell you different.
I had a guy tell me he shouldn’t need training to get an LTC because he’s a vet. I said you shouldn’t need it because you’re a citizen. He said that vets know how to use a gun, and I called bullshit. He said “what veteran can’t shoot?” I replied “Air Force, Navy, 25% of the Army and 10% of Marines”. Slightly exaggerated, but only slightly.
Just let teachers carry a weapon and call it good. No special training and stupid red tape. Sure, they may hit a kid by accident, that’s life. That kid would have been killed anyway.
Why do we have to make everything so effing difficult?

It's all well and good till some idiot forgets his AR in the shitter, besides, everyone knows the national guard isn't trained for this shit, it's a much better roll for the TSA to take hold of.

why does everyone think put military people in our schools is a good idea?!
Why not? Are they not trained (or trainable) to fight?
And more importantly, I've seen how "well trained" a lot of these people are.
Who's problem is that? The individual or the program itself?
I feel that the Guardsman may be a little distracted by the students that are just a few years younger.
Before the 1999 Jewish Community Center shooting in LA, the shooter scooped out another school but saw a security guard present (who later revealed to be unarmed). The mere presence of some level of (perceived) armed security was enough to deter a shooter in this instance. What you say may or may not be true, but having some armed personelle (distracted or not) has shown to deter a threat.

A Florida retiree woul be perfect. They could run over garbage cans on the drive to school.
No they would have to take the school bus :) My thought was a recent retiree, not a vet from WW2. The greatest generation have done their part. Now if the idiots that came after them, would just listen and learn from what they endured.

To all the vets out there. Thank you for your service

No they would have to take the school bus :) My thought was a recent retiree, not a vet from WW2. The greatest generation have done their part. Now if the idiots that came after them, would just listen and learn from what they endured.

To all the vets out there. Thank you for your service
Can they throw a hand grenade?

It's all well and good till some idiot forgets his AR in the shitter, besides, everyone knows the national guard isn't trained for this shit, it's a much better roll for the TSA to take hold of.

Not even remotely funny. I knew a guy who had to have his weapon dummy corded to him at all times while he was deployed because the dumb MF kept leaving it places and forgetting it.

Stupid. First doing something means you are buying into the antis frame. You could put a SEAL teams in every single school today and tomorrow they are still coming to take your guns. Stop buying into this BS. Let teachers carry if they want, that is either a state law question or a superintendent decision. And that's it. And as I said before post next school shooting every male teacher that didn't run towards the shooter, whether the teacher is armed or not, gets shamed for life for being a pussy.

Let the teachers, administrators and support staff be armed IF THEY WISH. Training requirement is an LTC. Anyone who gets an LTC (especially in this state) usually spend a lot more time at the range than police do. Indemnify them from any actions they take in valid situation.

Do you know why this won't happen?
1) It's too simple, it won't need a 600 page bill.
2) The unions don't get a piece.
2A) The unions will march out every teacher they can and complain to the politicians and media.
3) It leaves the rights of citizens intact and unmolested.

Stupid. First doing something means you are buying into the antis frame. You could put a SEAL teams in every single school today and tomorrow they are still coming to take your guns. Stop buying into this BS. Let teachers carry if they want, that is either a state law question or a superintendent decision. And that's it. And as I said before post next school shooting every male teacher that didn't run towards the shooter, whether the teacher is armed or not, gets shamed for life for being a pussy.
Finally, a sensible response. Antis still coming to take guns, you're absolutely right. And FTR, I would want primarily teachers armed (up to local discretion), but I just wanted to bring up the NG for discussion.

Finally, a sensible response. Antis still coming to take guns, you're absolutely right. And FTR, I would want primarily teachers armed (up to local discretion), but I just wanted to bring up the NG for discussion.

IMHO, the effort should be to encourage and enable individual law-abiding persons (such as willing, qualified teachers & administrators, with some amount of applicable training) = to be able to defend themselves and those that they are responsible for the safety of.

Having a branch of the Military assigned to do that in a civilian environment, seems almost like a step towards martial law (again, this is just IMHO).

Let the teachers, administrators and support staff be armed IF THEY WISH. Training requirement is an LTC. Anyone who gets an LTC (especially in this state) usually spend a lot more time at the range than police do. Indemnify them from any actions they take in valid situation.

Do you know why this won't happen?
1) It's too simple, it won't need a 600 page bill.
2) The unions don't get a piece.
2A) The unions will march out every teacher they can and complain to the politicians and media.
3) It leaves the rights of citizens intact and unmolested.
It worked for airline pilots post 9/11. I don't know if the armed pilot program still exists. Only heard of one plane getting accidentally shot...

IMHO, the effort should be to encourage and enable individual law-abiding persons (such as willing, qualified teachers & administrators, with some amount of applicable training) = to be able to defend themselves and those that they are responsible for the safety of.

Having a branch of the Military assigned to do that in a civilian environment, seems almost like a step towards martial law (again, this is just IMHO).
Well explained. Thank you.

Hitler-jelmezben-ment-iskol%C3%A1ba-e1381073277323.jpg

It worked for airline pilots post 9/11. I don't know if the armed pilot program still exists. Only heard of one plane getting accidentally shot...

No, it was a stupid clusterflop! I know many airline pilots, and three that are armed. One lost his pocketknife because that still wasn’t allowed, one lost an American Airlines issued screwdriver set used for preflight inspection because it can be a weapon (both incidents occurred while the locked gun went through fine) and the third had no stupid story. Then the pistols had to be kept in a locked container (I think unloaded), so they weren’t quickly accessible.
Bring the government into anything and you’ll get safety Sally and by the rules Richard to ensure any efficiency is removed.

Again, teachers ccw and shut up until needed. Why is this so hard for sheeple? You trust your kid with this guy who’s going to shoot him for not raising his hand? Time for a trustworthy teacher.

I think there are two different issues here. But the main point of this whole anti gun agenda that nobody is talking about is that the democrats support the gun free zones and they do not want to protect the children. For if the children were protected and threats squelched before any loss of life there would be nothing for the dems to use to try and take our guns. You can disagree with me. You can call me a moron. You can say I am clueless or call me any other thing you want.

But the ANTI GUN Folks love these deaths. They love when a nut job goes in and shoots up a school. The more deaths the better for them. Schools are gun free zones. After Sandy Hook everyone said put armed security or police in the schools. "The dems said throwing more guns into the mix won't fix the problem. That we need to ban and restrict gun rights. That's how to stop these school shootings...." What they meant is that they hate guns and 2A and to get rid of the guns and 2A they need more dead children.

Make no mistake, the antis want us to do nothing. They want dead children on the evening news. If we do nothing it just emboldens their position that guns are bad.

I don't no if the NG is the answer. But I do know that if we leave these gun free zones unprotected future school shooter wannabes will be just as successful.

I think doing noting plays into their hand. If we show equal force and start neutralizing these threats before any loss of life then that will show that there may not be a way from preventing a gunman going to a school but we can still send all the children home safely at the end of the day.

Remember...."All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

I agree with teachers and staff who want to be armed to be able to do so with proper training; I also second having Veterans as security as well but main point is gun free zones dont work to protect anyone with out proper precautions

Back
Top Bottom