• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Nashua test

I am going to be taking the Nashua police test on the 15th of january. My question for everyone is, the written is inside obviously but the physical is the same day and I believe the running is outside. Anyone have any pointers for dealing with running in the cold, I used to play hockey alot when I was younger so I can deal with it but that was mostly wind sprints in the cold, I have some problems keeping going when it is freezing out which I imagine it will be. Thanks for any tips in advance.

A trick I was shown for breathing while running in the cold was to hold your tongue to the roof of your mouth like you do when you make an "L" sound. This slightly moistens and warms the air you inhale. It does seem to help when I run. I've always been told it's best to breath through your nose, though, but I suck at that.

the nashua test is fun...just hope theres no other certified NH leos there. When i took the nashua test they took all the certified guys into a separate room for a separate test. the swat guys do the pt portion...no mercy bud...best of luck

Back when I used to run, I would run in the cold. I didn't have any problem with it. Breath in through your nose if possible. The best way to get acclimated to it is to just do it.

I actually prefer to run in the cold and up here we get plenty of that.

-get a good warm pair of socks (you will be surprised how fast your feet can go numb)
-Get a good warm hat
-Run at least twice a week outside in the cold leading up to the day.

You will do just fine!

My grandfather was a butcher way back when and would take a couple shots of whiskey before heading into the deep freezer.

As others have said, run in the cold to get used to it, but since the test is right around the corner you're really at the point where if you couldn't do it now, you probably won't on the 15th. With that said, i'm sure you'll be fine. It's only a mile and a half and the standards are fairly relaxed. The best thing to do is pace yourself, because the cold weather is gonig to take your breath away alot faster then running indoors. So just keep a steady pace, you'll do fine. Don't push yourself too hard in the beginning, wait for the home stretch to go all out. Don't set your goal as the passing time limit, plan to exceed that time limit. Make sure you keep training too, you don't want to go through the whole process and then fail the agility test that you take in order to be admitted to the academy. I've heard Nashua is one of the more difficult places to get in the door if you aren't already certified, so if it doesn't work out, don't be discouraged. Just keep testing.

Back when I used to run, I would run in the cold. I didn't have any problem with it. Breath in through your nose if possible. The best way to get acclimated to it is to just do it.

It's not just breathing through your nose, you can also close your mouth down to only have a small slit and work on breathing slower. Breathing slower is a good practice in any weather, but winter makes it easy to practice it. Quick shallow breaths are not optimal. You want to breath slowly bringing in fresh air over time, letting it out over time.
http://www.the-fitness-motivator.com/breathing-exercises-for-running.html
For winter running, try a combination of deep breath and cadence. Use a 3-3 cadence to slow the breathing in order to give the air time to warm up and to prevent the cold air from shocking the lungs.

PS: I know it's funny for me to be giving running advice but I used to run 35-40 miles a week.

Back
Top Bottom