Nashua HP clinic

Was looking at the Nashua site and saw the clinic coming up in April. I was wondering if this is an entry level clinic or the one that steps up the skill you already have? I was looking at coming over for this as I could always use some coaching and am not to proud to admit that.

Dave S

That is the introduction to CMP shooting clinic - starts from the basics. ALways good as a refresher....

Look on the schedule for 2 advanced clinics in the late Summer, early Fall.

That is the introduction to CMP shooting clinic - starts from the basics. ALways good as a refresher....

Dave, we are having an informal clinic up in Hampden this coming Sunday. Just try to help each other out a little.
Nashua probably puts on the best clinic in the area, though.

Thanks for the info, I will try for the other clinics later in the year.

Pat, I got the email form Hampden and told them I was coming up for that. I really want to try and improve this year. I am looking forward to the clinic. Hope to see you there.

Dave

Does Nashua offer rifle for use ARs or Garands ? Asking for a friend who is waiting on LTC but wants to shoot. Been to hanson "shoot" a few times but now wants more Instruction.

Huge Thanks for the kind words and compliments on our clinics guys!
It's a group effort with a lot of us volunteering our equipment and time to make it a success.

From these inquiries I see we should add some additional info describing the clinic target audience and agenda.

The April Clinic is intended for people with little to no equipment or experience.
We start the day with a couple hours in the morning of classroom and then it is off to the range for the remainder of a long day.
Students will break into 4 groups. Two groups will go to the pits to learn how to pull and score targets, one group will go to the firing line to shoot with one on one coaching and the remaining group of students will be scoring for the shooting relay as they would in an actual NRA or CMP match. We rotate thru the day so all students get to shoot, pull/score targets and score. This gives every student the basic knowledge required to participate in a CMP / NRA Approved match.

This is a "Service Rifle Clinic" is targeted to prepare people to shoot in NRA or CMP Matches so it is preferred that 20" Service Rifle legal rifles are used.
Suitable rifles are A2 or A4 with 20" barrel with 1x8 twist or faster free floated barrels.
We always seem to get people that want to use their AK47, SKS, M4's, FAL's, 50 BMG's or Elephant Guns. Those rifles are not suitable and don't fit the intent of the clinic.
Between the provide 223 ammo, NFGA Rifles and equipment available for use and the rifles and gear that us volunteer coaches provide for students to use students need to bring nothing except a safe / positive attitude and a willingness to listen and learn.

We start the live fire shooting in a typical sling supported prone position shooting 3 round groups to get the rifle and shooter as close as possible to zero's up.
From here students fire 10 shots for record single shot slow fire with sling in prone for record.
Then 10 shot rapid fire prone (mag change optional) for record.
Next is a 10 shot sitting rapid (mag change optional) for record.
and finally 10 shots offhand for record.

Coaches will typically at least hold a Master Classification and coaching is tailored to the skill level of each shooter.
Students with little to no experience will get very basic coaching with safety and having a fun time being the #1 priority.
More experienced students will get more advanced coaching during live fire.
We do the best we can to insure every student gets the best possible coaching and overall most positive experience possible.
Typically the majority of feedback we get is very positive and appreciative.

The other 2 clinics we do are for shooters that have all their gear, have at least a marksman classification and are looking to improve.
Often there are coaches from Reading Rifle and Revolver Club available to help coach these clinics hold later in the year.
Reading is home range for many of the top competitive shooters in the Northeast and beyond so we are very grateful for them being willing to help coach.

Feel free to post here or email me at GSmith223 at Comcast dot net with any other questions or suggestions.

George Smith
http://www.nfga.org/highpower/highpower.html

Last edited:
Thanks George,
This is a great bit of info, I think I am going to pass on this clinic but have the others on my calender. Looking forward to those, hope you guys have a great turn out

Dave

Here's a link to the report I put together for the website for last years clinic.
http://www.nfga.org/highpower/pdfs/20130427 Clinic Results.pdf

We on the NFGA Highpower Committee often debate if it is worth the time and effort we put into making this event happen.

Of all the people you see in that picture 2 of them bought gear and showed up to a few matches after the clinic.
As far as a time and effort return on investment that is not a very good.

If it were a pistol clinic you would probably still get a good turnout and see more of them later shooting matches. At one of my local clubs, we're trying to resurrect smallbore rifle, You can shoot anything you want for a .22 and even an air rifle. We have the normal 3 and 4 position targets as well as air rifle targets and paper silhouette targets of various sizes. Costs nothing and half way through the second year attendance is dismal at best. It's pretty tempting to just stay home but for the occasional people that show up we keep going. Most people see organized rifle shooting as too expensive when they see the rifles, jackets, spotting scopes and other equipment required. Pistol, all you need is a pistol, binoculars, and a box of ammo at most.

Here's a link to the report I put together for the website for last years clinic.
http://www.nfga.org/highpower/pdfs/20130427 Clinic Results.pdf

We on the NFGA Highpower Committee often debate if it is worth the time and effort we put into making this event happen.

Of all the people you see in that picture 2 of them bought gear and showed up to a few matches after the clinic.
As far as a time and effort return on investment that is not a very good.

58 people turned out last year to me that makes it worth it, yes the return rate is low but at least the interest is there. Its not a easy game to jump into. If you dont reload its going to cost you about 100$ for a 80 shot XTC per match. Also people like me find it very hard to get to matches both by distance and dates. I started in 2011 with a NM rifle a moving blanket and a 30 yr old canvas shooting jacket. I have only been able to get to reading 2 times a year since I started. Im luck to get out once a month to the local ranges which seldom have any matches. I see this as a bigger problem as there are just not enough clubs holding matches period.
Only recently did I hear about old colony in pembroke mass having cmp matches. Exsposer is another problem. You dont hear to much about any matches. out side a club house or a internet forum. At least not in my area.
My wife is not on my side when it comes to shooting. I wish she would at least plan a long weekend or 2 a year so I could get to Nashua or Even maybe the eastern cmp games and just give me the one day of fun and the rest for family fun. Its tough. I do thank you geoge and all those that make the matches happen. I plan to get to reading on 5/17 and maybe one more time before the seasons out but it doesnt look good.

My wife is not on my side when it comes to shooting. I wish she would at least plan a long weekend or 2 a year so I could get to Nashua or Even maybe the eastern cmp games and just give me the one day of fun and the rest for family fun. Its tough. I do thank you geoge and all those that make the matches happen. I plan to get to reading on 5/17 and maybe one more time before the seasons out but it doesnt look good.

Send her to a day spa some Saturday. She'll love you, you'll get to shoot a match, and you can tell the guys that you wear the pants. (We won't believe you but we'll pretend to if you want.) See you on 5/17!

Send her to a day spa some Saturday. She'll love you, you'll get to shoot a match, and you can tell the guys that you wear the pants. (We won't believe you but we'll pretend to if you want.) See you on 5/17!

Dont matter what I do, if im having fun she dont like it[rolleyes] I got my daughter a savage rascal and she likes it. shes Happy to get out of the yard with the pellet gun and to the real range! ....maybe some hope there[smile]

If it were a pistol clinic you would probably still get a good turnout and see more of them later shooting matches. At one of my local clubs, we're trying to resurrect smallbore rifle, You can shoot anything you want for a .22 and even an air rifle. We have the normal 3 and 4 position targets as well as air rifle targets and paper silhouette targets of various sizes. Costs nothing and half way through the second year attendance is dismal at best. It's pretty tempting to just stay home but for the occasional people that show up we keep going. Most people see organized rifle shooting as too expensive when they see the rifles, jackets, spotting scopes and other equipment required. Pistol, all you need is a pistol, binoculars, and a box of ammo at most.

Hi Bob,

You make good points on why we get low returns on our time and effort investment.
The start up investment for equipment is not cheap. We make a point to explain that other than an acceptable rifle and quality ammo minimal, modest / used equipment is the way most of us started out. Borrowing gear, buying used gear and upgrading along the way.

All of us that are heavily involved in this sport know;
The time commitment to attend a match is another factor. (never mind practice time if one wants to improve)
With squadding at 7am and a typical 80 round match taking from 8am - 2pm'ish to complete it is the better part of a day to attend a match. One new shooter I invested alot of time into two years ago was hooked. He had the money to buy decent gear and was taking to coaching well. His wife was supportive as long as he only attended 2 matches a month and was home by 3 pm so they could have the evening together.
She became less supportive when he came home from a couple matches after hot days on the range too tired to take her out for the night.
Not long after that she cut him down to one match a month and he gave up.

The semi long days also require more physical energy than many people these days are willing to expend.

Then there is the fact that it takes a time & effort commitment for practice if one wants to improve.
Many people these days want near instant success and aren't interested in things that require work and effort to improve at.

Many people these days want near instant success and aren't interested in things that require work and effort to improve at.

Bingo...... I settle for pellet gun shooting and dryfire in my basement for practice. Its better than not doing anything. My life in general id just to busy to get out often. I know several shooters that shoot more than me but never post improved scores at local 100 yard cmp shoot.

Hi Bob,

You make good points on why we get low returns on our time and effort investment.
The start up investment for equipment is not cheap. We make a point to explain that other than an acceptable rifle and quality ammo minimal, modest / used equipment is the way most of us started out. Borrowing gear, buying used gear and upgrading along the way.

All of us that are heavily involved in this sport know;
The time commitment to attend a match is another factor. (never mind practice time if one wants to improve)
With squadding at 7am and a typical 80 round match taking from 8am - 2pm'ish to complete it is the better part of a day to attend a match. One new shooter I invested alot of time into two years ago was hooked. He had the money to buy decent gear and was taking to coaching well. His wife was supportive as long as he only attended 2 matches a month and was home by 3 pm so they could have the evening together.
She became less supportive when he came home from a couple matches after hot days on the range too tired to take her out for the night.
Not long after that she cut him down to one match a month and he gave up.

The semi long days also require more physical energy than many people these days are willing to expend.

Then there is the fact that it takes a time & effort commitment for practice if one wants to improve.

I had a lot more ambition when my son was shooting. Reloading for two was always fun. Getting up early for the 2 1/2 drive to Nashua (2:15 to Reading and 2:05 to Forbes). The kid would sleepwalk to the car and always wake up when we hit the parking lot of wherever we were shooting. Usually, he'd open one eye, yawn and say "that wasn't bad"... Then he'd kick my butt on the range which made up for it to a point but..... Yes, then he'd sleep on the way home. I couldn't shoot for a while but always made sure he'd have the ammo he needed for either service rifle or long range. When I was able to shoot again he went into the service and driving the 2 plus hours by myself just made me stay home. Even for people who have the resources to buy equipment and the time to invest, there's one more thing you need unless the range is right down the road..... A shooting buddy. It was my intent to come up and snipe a few more leg points last year, then the year passed and I once again didn't do it. The kids back and I told him that if I find the ambition to shoot this year (hey, golf gets in the way) and somehow can get a few more leg points before July, we're going to Port Clinton for a few days. There and hopefully a few 2-3 hour drives. At least I have a wife who is willing (???) to sit in the car and read for however long it takes to shoot a match once in a while.

Went to Braintree RP this past weekend 3/15/14 for the first CMP shoot of the year. Probably most fun I've had in a long while. The instructors were awesome and the weather was good. It's the first time firing a high powered rifle for me, (M1 Garand). Surprisingly accurate considering it was my first time.

Years back, I went to a high power clinic at WSA, and then another at Reading. High power clinics are one of the best instructional bargains ever. Go, you'll learn a bunch and have a blast.

I don't necessarily know what other people's "excuses" are. Personally, I would love to go to a high power clinic. But there is about zero chance I will be able to compete at any level for a long time.

Does that mean you wasted the time and effort teaching me? I don't think so. I can still get out and shoot and employ the techniques and such. You kind of have to take the success of the clinic as to the success of your effort. Afterall.. I have taken several defensive pistol courses but I haven't had to shoot anyone yet. ;)

I haven't participated in Nashua's clinic...I have at Reading though. Here are my observations...the purpose is to promote high power, that being said the people who volunteer their time to do this is for high power....not to teach people to shoot per say...it is to teach high power. Most of the people, the last big clinic of 90 people, were there to "shoot an M1" or whatever they could because they were going to buy one and wanted a feel for the rifle. Most people were physically incapable of the high power game. Let alone whether we have to worry about someone putting a round over the berm. None of "us" high power shooters would hesitate to help anyone that want to get involved...but to spend a day instructing for no real benefit to the sport...why?
At Reading we have significantly limited our "clinics" because of this...every few years we offer an entry level clinic meant for people who have at least a rifle (suitable for competition) and a little bit of there own equipment...as the saying goes some sweat equity in the game.
Just my opinion.

Its a tough nut to crack.
So many people who own ARs or even garands. Do not know high power or cmp even exist.
I started any type of competition shooting late.
If I knew what nra service rifle was or where to go for it 15 20 years ago I would be. Deeper involved. Starting late into the game with so much of your time allready swallowed up is tough.
I purchased my RRA NM in 11/2011 got to 2 matches @ reading 2012 and one match 2013....2014 looks grim also with just 1 trip planned so far.
I have all the gear I think I need. A rifle that will out shoot me for the rest of my life. Just little time to get out there. Only 1 club local to me actually has matches. 200 yards CMP. with only one match with the service rifles. So yes the return on the clinics might be low but with out them I think the interest and newshooters in might be lower.
I hope as my young kids grow older they get the shooting bug. If not I will loose even more of "my" free time pursuing their interests.
Its tough. There's almost zero exposer to "service" rife shooting at my club. Heck I didnt even know about the cmp until years after I joined.!

I haven't participated in Nashua's clinic...I have at Reading though. Here are my observations...the purpose is to promote high power, that being said the people who volunteer their time to do this is for high power....not to teach people to shoot per say...it is to teach high power. Most of the people, the last big clinic of 90 people, were there to "shoot an M1" or whatever they could because they were going to buy one and wanted a feel for the rifle. Most people were physically incapable of the high power game. Let alone whether we have to worry about someone putting a round over the berm. None of "us" high power shooters would hesitate to help anyone that want to get involved...but to spend a day instructing for no real benefit to the sport...why?
At Reading we have significantly limited our "clinics" because of this...every few years we offer an entry level clinic meant for people who have at least a rifle (suitable for competition) and a little bit of there own equipment...as the saying goes some sweat equity in the game.
Just my opinion.

I swear I don't mean this the way it's about to come out.. but.. with an attitude like that of course you can't see the benefit. Do you know how many people I take shooting and they don't immediately go out and buy a gun? What about the Appleseed people? Shitloads of time spent for no realistic return other than to do a little education and a lot of shooting. These guys (and girls) do it purely for the love. Ya know? Myself and a buddy have spent countless hours running the Hora Dolor events for the pure satisfaction of doing it and getting people out to shoot in a semi competitive setting. I have spent hundreds of dollars and ungodly amount of hours.. purely for the sake of the event. I haven't taken in a penny.

As well, I didn't mean "to shoot" as in "this is how you shoot at distance", I meant the event/game. Apologies on that.

I swear I don't mean this the way it's about to come out.. but.. with an attitude like that of course you can't see the benefit. Do you know how many people I take shooting and they don't immediately go out and buy a gun? What about the Appleseed people? Shitloads of time spent for no realistic return other than to do a little education and a lot of shooting. These guys (and girls) do it purely for the love. Ya know? Myself and a buddy have spent countless hours running the Hora Dolor events for the pure satisfaction of doing it and getting people out to shoot in a semi competitive setting. I have spent hundreds of dollars and ungodly amount of hours.. purely for the sake of the event. I haven't taken in a penny.

As well, I didn't mean "to shoot" as in "this is how you shoot at distance", I meant the event/game. Apologies on that.

I won't answer for Charlie, but here's my take on it: a High Power clinic is not about teaching people "how to shoot". It's not about about just getting more people out "shooting". It's about introducing people to the sport of high power shooting with the hopes of hooking a few who will participate throughout the season in regular matches. Trying to grow the sport. Success of a high power clinic is measured in the percentage of participants who come back and shoot with us.

Money has nothing to do with it.

High Power shooting is not for everybody. It takes a considerable commitment of money and time. Mostly time. And it's extremely hard on the ego. For a lot of shooters, that's the hardest part.
Those of us who are into it, are really into it. From April to November, I am borderline obsessed with it.

For years on here (NES), I had a standing offer to anybody who wanted to try it out: Come to a scheduled match, I will give you the rifle to use, the ammo, scope, etc.. All I ask in return would be that if you end up becoming a "regular", you would offer the same to somebody new.
I dropped it the last couple of years, because nobody here ever took me up on the offer.

I won't answer for Charlie, but here's my take on it: a High Power clinic is not about teaching people "how to shoot". It's not about about just getting more people out "shooting". It's about introducing people to the sport of high power shooting with the hopes of hooking a few who will participate throughout the season in regular matches. Trying to grow the sport. Success of a high power clinic is measured in the percentage of participants who come back and shoot with us.

Money has nothing to do with it.

High Power shooting is not for everybody. It takes a considerable commitment of money and time. Mostly time. And it's extremely hard on the ego. For a lot of shooters, that's the hardest part.
Those of us who are into it, are really into it. From April to November, I am borderline obsessed with it.

For years on here (NES), I had a standing offer to anybody who wanted to try it out: Come to a scheduled match, I will give you the rifle to use, the ammo, scope, etc.. All I ask in return would be that if you end up becoming a "regular", you would offer the same to somebody new.
I dropped it the last couple of years, because nobody here ever took me up on the offer.

Pat that offer is great. I too offer any of my firearms to anyone wanting to try any of the shooting sports I try to do. Trap, steel, rifle ect ect
Also Pat where did you place your offer. Under the competetion section of nes? I don't know why but under the rifle section post don't last but a few days. All I see are the few stickiness and the one or two most recent post.
I continue to post cmp and Pembroke cmp shoots/matches and only get a few a year that show up. I offer to cover fees for first timers and also guns and ammo. I have lugged my gear for people and they fail to show up. By far shooting sports is the hardest thing to get people into. I think shooting is easier to do well in than golf.
So a thank you to those in the shooting sports that find the love and time to continue putting on the events. I'm trying to just find the time to show up.
Love to go out today but been busy trying to get some long over due house repair done.

I agree with Charlie and Pat.

I also think it's important for HP shooters to always try to get more people involved in the sport. Like Pat said, the sport takes a good amount of commitment and money to compete at a high level. I say high because most people don't want to compete at something if they don't have a chance at winning, which is where the commitment comes in because it takes some time to get dialed in to a consistent shot routine.

I always try to help out guys who want to learn to shoot at distance. I'll be helping a fellow NES'r get in to some distance shooting once the mud is gone.

I have a similar offer, I've had one guy take me up on it so far. He shot one match and never came back. Then again it was a similar offer from Jeff that got me into it and I was instantly hooked (as absolutely terrible as I was at first.)

Highpower is hard and it takes a long time and a significant investment in both time and money for (most) people to get good, even decent, at it. It's definitely not for guys with weak egos, but it's incredibly rewarding for those who stick with it.

Does anybody know if there are still openings for the Nashua highpower clinic? I recently acquired an older colt A2 Hbar upper from a friend, plan on building one of my lowers and turning it into a complete A2 service rifle this summer.

Back
Top Bottom