Nashua HP clinic

I swear I don't mean this the way it's about to come out.. but.. with an attitude like that of course you can't see the benefit. Do you know how many people I take shooting and they don't immediately go out and buy a gun? What about the Appleseed people? Shitloads of time spent for no realistic return other than to do a little education and a lot of shooting. These guys (and girls) do it purely for the love. Ya know? Myself and a buddy have spent countless hours running the Hora Dolor events for the pure satisfaction of doing it and getting people out to shoot in a semi competitive setting. I have spent hundreds of dollars and ungodly amount of hours.. purely for the sake of the event. I haven't taken in a penny.

My "attitude" comes from years of experience. I expect that if someone signs up for lets say motorcycle school they have the physical ability to ride...or a reasonable expectation to be owning one. MANY of the people I have instructed NEVER intended to take up high power. They simply wanted to shoot something they couldn't/wouldn't own. The clinic isnt designed to teach how to shoot (that takes several years for most) it teaches the game of highpower. In my opinion that's where the misunderstanding happens.
Everyone I know, in almost any shooting discipline would love to help anyone who shows an interest in SHOOTING....I understand that family and work can interfere...and totally understand priorities. That's why these sports require people who have the time and the disposable income to participate.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have to agree with charliet. After years of competing in, and running action shooting matches I have observed the same. Like any other sport, a clinic is usually designed to introduce people to the sport not to teach them how to compete. That takes , as charliet and others have said, time, money and commitment.
As far as highpower is concerned, I am one of those people who was interested in the sport, built a AR15 service rifle, and shot Eastern Mass as well as 1-2 of Readings winter matches. With my focus on USPSA, I rarely have the time to devote to highpower.

Sent in my form and check for the clinic this morning - look forward to learning more about highpower.

In referencing Mac's post about wishing to have learned that these types of things exist when he was younger - same here - didn't know this existed until I saw this thread, so I am looking forward to learning more and seeing what the sport is about.

Another one of the largest factors I have realized to get the rare person that can get past the ego as well as the time and financial hurdles to stick with it is a mentor / helper in getting started.

Between ammo, rifle and gear they need help from assistance and advice in what not to buy, what to buy, where to buy it etc.
And then in how to use it from a beginner prospective and as they progress at least up to sharpshooter / expert.

Without assistance and encouragement from an expierienced shooter guiding thru the ramp up / learning curve there is a good chance of losing them.

I don't remember when there was a season that I wasn't helping at least one person along the way.
For the most part I have not regretted helping most of the people I have helped ( especially the juniors ) but I can't help but wonder sometimes if it had of invested all that time into myself over the years maybe I would have succeeded on another goal or three of mine.

Fair enough.

My "attitude" comes from years of experience. I expect that if someone signs up for lets say motorcycle school they have the physical ability to ride...or a reasonable expectation to be owning one. MANY of the people I have instructed NEVER intended to take up high power. They simply wanted to shoot something they couldn't/wouldn't own. The clinic isnt designed to teach how to shoot (that takes several years for most) it teaches the game of highpower. In my opinion that's where the misunderstanding happens.
Everyone I know, in almost any shooting discipline would love to help anyone who shows an interest in SHOOTING....I understand that family and work can interfere...and totally understand priorities. That's why these sports require people who have the time and the disposable income to participate.

The clinic is now full at 45 people and there are a handful on the waiting list.
If anyone here was waiting till now to sign up it's too late.

Every year after the clinic we discuss amongst us volunteers if it is worth all the work and if we want to have it again, or not.

For those here that wisely signed up early, I will see you Saturday.

Bring food, water, raingear a good can do attitude and an open mind...

We're hoping the weather turns out better than the forecast is calling for.
We will be setting up EZ Up Shelters over the firing lines and will continue as long as the pasters stick.

George

Last edited:
I only learned about this yesterday. Please, please run it again. It sounds fantastic and is exactly what I as a budding shooter need!

I have been interested in distance shooting for a while now and have had the president of the Harvard club graciously show me some of the ropes and the cantankerous 300 yd range chair chase me (and others) off.

I have to believe that these types of shoots are your best marketing efforts, and as such need more marketing to reach more people in what is a numbers game.

In the meantime, if any of your offers are still open, I'd love to learn from you.

Last edited:
Huge Thank You to the 33 people that showed up and took the clinic in the rain today!
Only 6 No Shows

We set up a covered firing line but it was still a long wet chilly day.
Everyone I saw down at the end of the line near where I was coaching seemed to have a great time.

Those that show up knowing there's a high chance of bad weather will usually still have a good time. As long as they don't get to cold or hungry.

Thanks so much for running this, the weather didn't spoil the fun at all. I learned a ton and look forward to heading back there a lot more this summer! Thanks to Brian for his coaching tips on station 4!

I only learned about this yesterday. Please, please run it again. It sounds fantastic and is exactly what I as a budding shooter need!

I first saw this thread about a week ago, so I was probably one of the last people to register. I'm sorry you weren't able to get in on it because it was a great opportunity. Hopefully, you'll be able to in the future.

The two guys (sorry, I don't remember your names) who did the clinic in the clubhouse did a great job presenting the information TOGETHER. I don't know when I've ever seen a dual presentation like that. It was entertaining, and it was a great example of the type of people I met at NFGA today... no egos, just everyone doing their best to work together and help those who came to learn.

Once we got to the firing line, I was pleased that I had a "personal coach" (Mark on lane/target #7) to show me the ropes. Even though I have a small amount of military experience and had shot a similar CoF before, Mark was extremely helpful in every way, and he made sure I got the most out of this experience. Thanks, again, Mark!

Dave, who manned the bullhorn and ran the firing line, did a great job, and I didn't see a single thing that made me uncomfortable. I've had rifles pointed at me before when new shooters weren't properly supervised, and it's no fun, but there was no problem with that today.

The radio communication from the firing line with the pit crew kept us pulling the targets efficiently and made sure that the shooters knew where they were hitting. It was a well-oiled machine and a pleasure to be a part of even on a chilly, rainy day.

Thanks to everyone who contributed their time to put on such a successful Highpower Rifle Clinic and match!

[mg] (The rapid fire strings were not quite this fast, but they were undoubtedly much more accurate!)

Last edited:
Only got one picture yesterday before my phone died - walking out towards the 200 yard line at the start of the day

NFGAHighpower2_zps49b403d9.jpg

Had a really great time and got to meet a bunch of great people during the clinic.

It was an awesome introduction to highpower - coaching was excellent with tons of patience and suggestions.

My many, many thanks to the volunteers - it was truly amazing to see the number of volunteers that it took to run the clinic - From the presentation at the start, to the coaches at each of the stations, those working the line and those working the pit.

Overall, I didn't shoot all that well - particularly offhand - I'll blame some of it on the cold weather as I was cramping a bit, but most of the blame is on my skill level ;). I am going to put some work this spring into my technique, but I will definitely be back for some additional clinics or some matches

Thanks again for running a successful clinic!

Last edited:
My thanks again to the fantastic folks at NFGA who put this clinic on and spent their time on a cold rainy Saturday helping us out! Shot my first HP match the next day which really helped to cement some of the fundamentals I had learned the day before, plus it gave me a chance to hit things from longer distances as well.

My apologies to all those who had to suffer my slow and in general poor pit service.. [smile]

Thanks again -- see you next Sunday!

Shot my first HP match the next day which really helped to cement some of the fundamentals I had learned the day before, plus it gave me a chance to hit things from longer distances as well.

Reading?

Thanks for the kind words from those here that have provided feedback.
I'll forward it along to the volunteers and other's that made this happen. Especially those that were mentioned by name.

I was very happy to see 3 people that tuffed out the clinic in slightly foul weather come back the next day to shoot the league match in more less than ideal weather conditions. That is the kind of new shooters this sport wants and needs.

A league match or two where there are extra sighters and coaching allowed is the best way to follow up the clinic.
We have another league match this Sunday 5/4. If anyone from the clinic wants to shoot this match and needs any gear or anything drop me an email as early as possible this week and let me know what you will need to shoot and I will do all I can to get you what you need and help you out.
GSmith223 at comcast dot net

The league match this Sunday starts at 8am so be there no later than 7:15 so I can squad you to share any needed gear and pair you up with people to help you out. I skipped shooting last Sunday to help a couple people out and I don't mind doing that again this week to help others.
The two that I helped out last Sunday had a great time and did very well.

I would also like to recomend that people that took the clinic to come shoot the Mid range prone match on Saturday 5/10.
These are fired all slow prone at 300, 500 and 600 yards with extra time given for extra sighters. If you haven't shot beyond 200 yards before this is a great opportunity to get those zero's and have some fun shooting longer distances.

George

PS to All;
The small bridge on the Manchester street shortcut over to the club from the Henri A Burque Highway is out for construction all summer.
You will need to continue down the Henri A Burque Highway, then head North on Concord street and come in from the other end of Manchester street to get to the club. You will nedd about 5 - 10 extra minutes for this detour.

Thanks for the kind words from those here that have provided feedback.
I'll forward it along to the volunteers and other's that made this happen. Especially those that were mentioned by name.

In that case, did I mention Bob, Dan, Dave, Elaine, Bill, and Rich? I'm sure I forgot a few names too, but please let everyone know that their time, effort, and generosity was very much appreciated!

Greg

In that case, did I mention Bob, Dan, Dave, Elaine, Bill, and Rich? I'm sure I forgot a few names too, but please let everyone know that their time, effort, and generosity was very much appreciated!
Greg

Thanks Greg, I'll pass the words on.

BTW, The guy that helped you out a little on Sunday said he see's major potential in your progress...

Looks like there is another one of these on 4/25/2015. I sent an email out and just need to pre register. My friend took it last year and had great things to say. Going to miss Appleseed due to a wedding, so I was excited to see this the week after.

Back
Top Bottom