My story.....Rhode Island traffic stop.....1 am

But you still talked when you could have respectfully declined to answer anything and could have declined the search.

Please do this when a police officer asks to search your vehicle and let us know how that works out for you. In the end if you *Bust* their balls then 99.99999 percent of the time you will get the same back. I can almost guarantee that if he did what all these "Tuff Guy" NES members said to do then things would have turned out far worse than they did. If an officer wants to search your car, no matter what you say it *IS* going to happen. Be cooperative and respectful and chances are you will get some respect in return which pretty much sums up what happened here.

To the OP........with almost 500 posts here on NES you had to of known people where going to beat the shit out of you for posting this.........maybe you are out of your mind :) or just a gluten for punishment!

Last edited:
+1 on watch the video. When you get out of the car take your keys and lock the door. Don't talk other than your name. If you talk the police report will spin what you said to their advantage. This goes for when your clean also. I'm glad the op posted, it's a great lesson for everyone.

Last edited:
Why someone would go on here.

An internet forum with thousands of visitor traffic hits.

Post how they broke the laws.

Post how good officers cut him a break.

Supply enough information where someone could dig through records and get that cop or get that person cited.

Blows my mind.

if something was to be done, it would have been done right then and there. that's like saying a cop let's u off for speeding, then 2 weeks later decides to send you the ticket. you, my friend, are paranoid. i bet you have a bunker in your backyard & thousands of rounds of ammo stashed that u'll never use.

- - - Updated - - -

Please do this when a police officer asks to search your vehicle and let us know how that works out for you. In the end if you *Bust* their balls then 99.99999 percent of the time you will get the same back. I can almost guarantee that if he did what all these "Tuff Guy" NES members said to do then things would have turned out far worse than they did. If an officer wants to search your car, no matter what you say it *IS* going to happen. Be cooperative and respectful and chances are you will get some respect in return which pretty much sums up what happened here.

thank you

You are wrong! Yes be polite, but do not talk or consent.

Edited to add: You should not violate any laws to begin with, but you should stand up for your rights or lose them.

Last edited:
No one's beating up on him. Just giving him good advice that is beyond reproach.

Free advice is the best kind I always say. I have had my share with Lowell Cops, the key here is stay calm, listen before you speak and speak intelligently.

I think you did fine, other than letting them search your Vehicle. You decided to keep the Peace and you came out on top. Lucky as all hell, but consider the $95 bucks a Lesson learned.

You were one lucky guy...

Absolutely correct. You definitely should play the lottery today. And a G27? [laugh]

Everything you could've done wrong, you did wrong.

Yea yea yea, you know everything.

Wow. Just... wow.

First, the police pulled you over because your car looks like a drug deal on wheels.

Second, don't consent to a search ever again.

Third, sell that car.

Fourth, don't admit to breaking the law on a public internet forum.

Fifth, those were the coolest cops on the planet.

z0mbi said it best.

Last edited:
I think people are presenting a false dichotomy between a) being an obnoxious douche while refusing to answer questions and declining consent; and b) being polite by giving the cops whatever they want.

You can exercise your rights while being polite. If a cop flies into a rage when you politely decline to answer questions or consent to a search, then you were f'd from the start regardless.

before you get out of your car, turn off the ignition, take the keys out, and lock the door once you're out.

"I'm sorry officer, I do not consent to a search, am I under arrest or am I free to go."

"You look nervous" is just a classic way to get you to start talking and they evaluate you from there. I use "I have social anxiety disorder".

I'm always polite and respectful. If the cop get mad that you know your rights, then you're dealing with a POS cop and you're screwed either way...at least make his search illegal so when you end up in court you're not the bad guy.

You don't have to be like one of those guys on Youtube who talk shit and pick an argument with the cops for the sake of going viral. Just be polite but stand your ground. I have respect for a lot of cops, which is why I do go out of my way to make whoever is pulling me over feel safe. I keep my hands on my steering wheel, announce when I'm reaching for something. I'm fully aware of the dangers cops encounter during traffic stops, and I will do what is in my power to put them at ease, just not give up my rights or be intimidated.

You were lucky. Make sure you keep your nose clean, and you're sure you're on the right side of the law ESPECIALLY when you're carrying and driving a car that makes you look suspicious (just because it's not right doesn't mean it's not so).

EDIT: I'm not a lawyer, I'm just giving my .02.

Last edited:
Ok, then list all the things he did right, starting with illegal possession of the gun while driving his ghetto drug dealer car over the speed limit through Providence at 1 in the morning.

I know what he did wrong and should have NEVER broke RI law by having a loaded handgun under the seat. Even in MA, that is arguably not "under your direct control", so a dick cop here could jack you up. But I try not to preach to gun owners even if they break laws.

I know what he did wrong and should have NEVER broke RI law by having a loaded handgun under the seat. Even in MA, that is arguably not "under your direct control", so a dick cop here could jack you up. But I try not to preach to gun owners even if they break laws.

Neither am I. I don't think he did anything wrong, just illegal.

shoulda woulda coulda.....apparantly if i had just left it in my coat pocket on my person i would have been within the law, gonna look into this more.

but seriously, a cop tells you step out of your vehicle.....your gonna say no?? or even worse, not say anything, just ignore him like your deaf?? that's borderline insulting his intelligence. the few cops i know personally ALWAYS say honesty is the best policy, and NO ATTITUDE. compliance and respect is all they want. we all know cops are gonna do whatever the f**k they want anyway, throw in smart ass remarks thinking your a lawyer and that's it, any chance you HAD goes out the window. all he had to do was say i looked under the influence, he's got probable cause to do whatever he wants, end of story. some of these "i would've" suggestions just don't seem realistic to me. last thing i wanted to do was piss off an RI state trooper.

i've encountered police a few times in my day.....in my experience:

attitiude and resistance = pissed off cops

honesty & cooperation = happy cops

Right on

To the OP........with almost 500 posts here on NES you had to of known people where going to beat the shit out of you for posting this.........maybe you are out of your mind :) or just a gluten for punishment!

I've had plenty of people refuse to grant me consent to search their vehicles. Wanna know what happens? I don't search their vehicle, I don't find some worthless quarter ounce of skunk weed that I didn't even care about in the first place, I don't end up having to arrest them, and I don't have to do hours of paperwork. Seriously, I get paid whether you assert your rights or not, but if you do assert your rights I often have a lot less BS work to do. Most cops are a lot less vindictive than people here realize.

Supervisor: Why didn't you hook that guy up!!!!
Me: I stopped him. He refused consent. I let him go. I got Subway. Want some of my chips?
Supervisor: Subway's open this late?
Me: The one at the truck stop is.
Supervisor: Awesome, I'm starving. I'll catch you later.

^That conversation actually happened one night.

alot of people have fancy cars, that's not against the law.

Your car is not fancy. Your car is the 'assault weapon' of automobiles. It may, at its heart, be just like any other large sedan on the road... but it has evil features which draw the attention and ire of the Police and general public.

A factory Lexus or Mercedes is fancy. A cheap sedan with 20" chrome wheels is ghetto.

Just because it sucks, doesn't make it not true. Hey, though, if you love that look... more power to you. Just like we have to fight public opinion to keep our AR15's, you're going to have to deal with people thinking you're a scumbag because of the car you drive.

No, it wasn't. The fact that you were nervous is not probable cause.

Yes it is. If a cop can articulate reasonable suspicion, then he/she can do a search of areas immediately under control of detainee, and that might include whole passenger compartment. Extreme nervousness would probably qualify as reasonable suspicion. In other words, they would have searched car with or without consent. Because he cooperated, and didn't act like a douche, they cut him loose. He made a good call. Lookup Terry stop.

Cop 1: i stopped you for speeding, license and reg please
Me: here's my license, i'll grab my reg from the glove box (hand over both)
Cop 1: u seem nervous, everything okay?
Me: I'm fine
Cop 1: have you been drinking or doing any drugs?
Me: nope
Cop 1: where are you coming from?
Me: Am I leagally required to answer this question, Sir?
Cop 1: how long were you at her house?
Me: How is that any of your concern, Sir?
Cop 1: where do you live?
Me: I already identified myself, Sir.
Cop 1: your reg says fall river
Me: i just moved Jan 1st
Cop 1: any drugs in the car?
Cop 1: ever been arrested?
Me: No, Sir
Cop 1:
step out of the vehicle for me please, jump out the passenger side, i don't want you getting out on the highway side (i get out, he starts shining the flash light in my eyes and smelling me to see if i'm DUI)
Cop 2: put your hands on your trunk please
Cop 1: so your sure you have no drugs in your car?
Me: yes i'm sure
Cop 2: do you have any guns or weapons on you? (he starts to pat me down)
Cop 1: do you mind if i do a quick search of your vehicle to verify you have no illegal substances in there?
Me: Sorry, Officer, I do not consent to a warrantless search
Cop 1: i just want to verify you have no drugs in the car
Cop 2: do you have any weapons in the car?
Me: I will respectfully decline to answer your question, Sir.

Make sure you are on camera at all times. You do not have incriminate yourself.

Lucky Bastid.. Glad it worked out.. I'm sure you've learned a lot since you posted.. Consider going green..
What others said though.. best to keep your mouth shut on a firearm forum..
The second amendment has taken enough of a hit these past few months..
You were well in the wrong.. If you haven't yet, watch that video that has been posted. You'll be more confident in these situations when you know your rights.. Also, have a look at the HBO documentary Paradise Lost.
Nothing good comes from a .40

I've had plenty of people refuse to grant me consent to search their vehicles. Wanna know what happens? I don't search their vehicle, I don't find some worthless quarter ounce of skunk weed that I didn't even care about in the first place, I don't end up having to arrest them, and I don't have to do hours of paperwork. Seriously, I get paid whether you assert your rights or not, but if you do assert your rights I often have a lot less BS work to do. Most cops are a lot less vindictive than people here realize.

Me: I stopped him. He refused consent. I let him go. I got Subway. Want some of my chips?

And we the citizens respect you for doing the right thing. Realize there are not many officers out there that are reasonable. They just start taking all their life problems out on anyone they can. It happens *FAR* to often these days.

Lucky Bastid.. Glad it worked out.. I'm sure you've learned a lot since you posted.. Consider going green..
What others said though.. best to keep your mouth shut on a firearm forum..
The second amendment has taken enough of a hit these past few months..
You were well in the wrong.. If you haven't yet, watch that video that has been posted. You'll be more confident in these situations when you know your rights.. Also, have a look at the HBO documentary Paradise Lost.
Nothing good comes from a .40
Finally someone said it!!!!!!!

First, you don't have to bust their balls to not consent to a search. Second, some cops ask to search a car just as a fishing trip. If you are in the wrong place (East Providence) at the wrong time (after midnight), they have profiled you. They don't have any probable cause, but they'll ask because so many people are like the op, who think they have to consent. If they didn't get consent, they send you on your way.

First, you don't have to bust their balls to not consent to a search. Second, some cops ask to search a car just as a fishing trip. If you are in the wrong place (East Providence) at the wrong time (after midnight), they have profiled you. They don't have any probable cause, but they'll ask because so many people are like the op, who think they have to consent. If they didn't get consent, they send you on your way.

So you speak from personal experience our to put it bluntly with no disrespect "out of your ass" like most people here?

LOL!

Back
Top Bottom