• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My story.....Rhode Island traffic stop.....1 am

You've already had an officer post from his personal experience. I guess you chose not to read it: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...ic-stop-1-am?p=2834108&viewfull=1#post2834108

Ok so your opinion is that every officer is like him? I didn't read his post? I commended him for posting that and you would have seen that if you read the thread :)

I personally have never been in trouble with the law at any point in my 42 years here. I have been pulled over once in the last 25 years and got my assed chewed out for supposedly doing 75mph in the Boston Tunnel when he cited the person in front of me at 60mph. The State Trooper was standing in the middle of a Highway in a blind corner and supposedly had me on radar which was complete utter crap. All my 2-3 experiences with the law have left a bad taste in my mouth as I was treated with ZERO respect and like a criminal.

Last edited:
Do not consent to a search. Ever.
If they have the right to search they will.

I usually use something like: "I do not consent to a search. I know if you believe you have probable cause you have the legal right to do so, but I do not consent to one." The first sentence is really enough, but I like to throw in the second so I don't come off as terse or antagonistic.

If they ask why I choose not to consent I usually just say that I'm in a hurry and would like to be on my way.

Neither am I. I don't think he did anything wrong, just illegal.

Agreed. Most people don't know what to say and simply get nervous, now he knows what to do.

And we the citizens respect you for doing the right thing. Realize there are not many officers out there that are reasonable. They just start taking all their life problems out on anyone they can. It happens *FAR* to often these days.

+1

Ok so your opinion is that every officer is like him? I didn't read his post? I commended him for posting that and you would have seen that if you read the thread :)

I personally have never been in trouble with the law at any point in my 42 years here. I have been pulled over once in the last 25 years and got my assed chewed out for supposedly doing 75mph in the Boston Tunnel when he cited the person in front of me at 60mph. The State Trooper was standing in the middle of a Highway in a blind corner and supposedly had me on radar which was complete utter crap. All my 2-3 experiences with the law have left a bad taste in my mouth as I was treated with ZERO respect and like a criminal.

Congrats. I once got a ticket from a statie for having an expired registration, even though I renewed the registration online and showed the trooper the email I got from the RMV stating that the email itself was sufficient proof of current registration. She told me I could have just typed that email up myself in Word and gave me a ticket. I treated her with the utmost respect and she was a complete bitch. You and I have learned first hand that some cops are a**h***s. Most, however, aren't.

I personally have never been in trouble with the law at any point in my 42 years here. I have been pulled over once in the last 25 years and got my assed chewed out for supposedly doing 75mph in the Boston Tunnel when he cited the person in front of me at 60mph. The State Trooper was standing in the middle of a Highway in a blind corner and supposedly had me on radar which was complete utter crap. All my 2-3 experiences with the law have left a bad taste in my mouth as I was treated with ZERO respect.

Every officer is like him? No, of course not.

As I think back to the times I've been stopped:

1976, suburban Chicago area, peeled out at a traffic light, the cop yelled and screamed at me, no ticket. I deserved the yelling as I was driving like an idiot.
1977, suburban Chicago area, 10 over in a 35, 15 over in a school zone. The officer was very polite, told me to slow it down, no ticket.
1977, suburban Chicago area, 19 over in a 20 zone (not a school zone), got a ticket. The officer was very professional and very polite.
1978, Chicago, turning left at a no left turn sign, got a ticket. The officer was a bit terse, but professional, didn't yell at me in any way.
1980, West Virginia highway patrol, 69 in a 55, got a ticket. Trooper was very professional and polite.
~1995, Mass State Trooper, burned out headlight, got a warning. Trooper was very professional and polite.
~2005, suburban Boston area, 40 in a 25, got a warning. Officer was very professional and polite.

Yes, some cops have bad days. Some just suck no matter what. Yes, if you are polite and show respect you are more likely to get the same back.

But being polite and showing respect doesn't mean you have to consent to a search. Yes, they may still search regardless, but if you didn't consent then your lawyer has a chance to argue that the search was illegal; consent and you've taken away your lawyer's ammunition.

Last edited:
I think the only thing wrong he did is roll into RI with the Glock in the first place. Everything he did after that is why he drove home with all of his possessions that morning. I snicker with all the bad boy talk about "Tell em nothin!" and "Search this! <Grabs balls>" because in this day and age if they smell something, they will bend whatever rule they can to get to the bottom of it. Sure maybe the search won't stick but it ended up costing thousands and ruins far more than just one morning. He got lucky and the only way it would have ended that way was because he did everything right after doing something wrong.

Now if you have all your ducks in a row and you have some extra time on your hands, feel free to try out what several of the posters recommend. I've seen it done and it never ends well. I have done what Ryan did and walked away unscathed more than once. This does include not complying to a search but you really need to be clean or it may show on your face. Even the OP admits he was sweating bullets...

I snicker with all the bad boy talk about "Tell em nothin!" and "Search this! <Grabs balls>" because in this day and age if they smell something, they will bend whatever rule they can to get to the bottom of it.

I haven't seen anyone suggest that he behave badly. You can politely say "No, officer, I don't consent to a search."

Congrats. I once got a ticket from a statie for having an expired registration, even though I renewed the registration online and showed the trooper the email I got from the RMV stating that the email itself was sufficient proof of current registration. She told me I could have just typed that email up myself in Word and gave me a ticket. I treated her with the utmost respect and she was a complete bitch. You and I have learned first hand that some cops are a**h***s. Most, however, aren't.

I have found without exception that female cops are ruthless. Not that it would be pleasant to work under those male dominated conditions, it still is a choice they made and not an excuse.

Well I for one am Glad no Dogs were in the car....

tumblr_lqj5qeRphz1qch47ro1_400.jpg

Sure maybe the search won't stick but it ended up costing thousands and ruins far more than just one morning. He got lucky and the only way it would have ended that way was because he did everything right after doing something wrong.

Something which is often overlooked in this forum, if a search is found to be illegal, the cop might not get charged criminally, but you can sue the crap out of the department and the officer personally, and you'll win. Such cases are pretty much wet dreams for those "we don't get paid until you get paid" lawyers you see on TV.

i just think my car, out of state plates, and the time of night gave them the wrong idea.....they were expecting the car to stink like weed or something.

I'd probably think it was a drug dealer or someone with some drugs on them. This is going to sound stupid but is that additional chrome trim that you put on yourself? Thats what makes it look like a drug dealer type of car. I know this is a dumb thing to think, but it just shows you that we all profile. And, I'm sure you've seen plenty of cars with all sorts of added trim and body styling and stuff like that. And, a lot of people like myself assume that the guy behind the wheel is a dope dealer or a gang banger or a wanna be one of the above.

No offense by any of that was meant. Just giving you an example of how we all profile.

it is what it is, like my car or not. i like cars, i have 2. i can't afford a lexus so i do what i can with what i can. i DON'T deal drugs, that's what matters. it almost satisfies me that everyone would think i deal drugs just by the look of my car, when it's the complete opposite....sorry to dissapoint everyone. my buddy drives an antique restored milk truck, but he doesn't sell milk. my other buddy drives a huge lifted truck with big ass tires, but doesn't go off-roading. there's alot of sterotypical BS getting tossed around on here, perception is NOT always reality.

it is what it is, like my car or not. i like cars, i have 2. i can't afford a lexus so i do what i can with what i can. i DON'T deal drugs, that's what matters. it almost satisfies me that everyone would think i deal drugs just by the look of my car, when it's the complete opposite....sorry to dissapoint everyone. my buddy drives an antique restored milk truck, but he doesn't sell milk. my other buddy drives a huge lifted truck with big ass tires, but doesn't go off-roading. there's alot of sterotypical BS getting tossed around on here, perception is NOT always reality.

No one said that you deal drugs. They said that your car looks like a drug dealer's car with all the chrome crap you put on it. Drive a ghetto car in a bad neighborhood late at night and, guess what, you'll get unwanted attention from the police.

You're an adult. Those are the choices that you made. Recognize the consequences and accept them or make different choices.

i've encountered police a few times in my day.....in my experience:

attitiude and resistance = pissed off cops

honesty & cooperation = happy cops

Not giving them an attitude is a smart thing to do. Resistance is not necessarily a bad thing if its done right. I dont see anything wrong with asserting your rights in a calm, respectful way.

Its not your job to make them happy. They'd be happy if everyone they came into contact with just rolled over and did what they said, right? To a large extent, they rely on the fact that the average person doesnt have a full understanding of their rights.

No one said that you deal drugs. They said that your car looks like a drug dealer's car with all the chrome crap you put on it. Drive a ghetto car in a bad neighborhood late at night and, guess what, you'll get unwanted attention from the police.

You're an adult. Those are the choices that you made. Recognize the consequences and accept them or make different choices.

what consequences?? i don't get harrassed by the police!! in the past 4 years which i've had this car i've been pulled over TWICE, this being one of them. both times i WAS speeding, which is why i was pulled over. seems to me your mad i DIDN'T go to jail, get over it and stop trying to talk to me like dad please. sorry if your mad, but i'm happy as a clam.

i posted this so people, including myself, can learn from it....which i did, hopefully others will too.

Last edited:

ProTip:

All the cars I see around where I live, pulled over for felony stops on Rt 12 look like crappier versions of your car. They definitely profiled you. I won't tell anyone to get rid of their car, it's America, you can do what you want, but I wouldn't be driving around something like that without pretty much expecting additional harassment from police because of the tint, etc.

-Mike

I have been pulled over once in the last 25 years and got my assed chewed out for supposedly doing 75mph in the Boston Tunnel when he cited the person in front of me at 60mph. The State Trooper was standing in the middle of a Highway in a blind corner and supposedly had me on radar which was complete utter crap.

rt1 n in Charlestown heading towards the loop ramp?

I used to drive an 84 Delta 88 when I lived in Sacramento in the late 90s. I got pulled over all the time, had a SacPD cop break a tail light so he could write me a ticket. I got physically pulled out of the car a few times, so it could be searched without my ok. and was asked almost every time if I had a green card or was on parole.

All because of the car, I knew that thing was a target so I never broke a single rule with it. Without a doubt what you drive will get you noticed or ignored.

ProTip:

All the cars I see around where I live, pulled over for felony stops on Rt 12 look like crappier versions of your car. They definitely profiled you. I won't tell anyone to get rid of their car, it's America, you can do what you want, but I wouldn't be driving around something like that without pretty much expecting additional harassment from police because of the tint, etc.

-Mike

When I was in college we sometimes hung around with this guy who ran a business customizing VW's (really high end expensive stuff). Whenever we took a ride he would basically threaten to break our kneecaps if we brought anything illegal into one of his cars, because it was such a magnet for Hadley and Amherst police. I think it's a good attitude to have.

Everything you could've done wrong, you did wrong.

This. When reading it I thought it was some "what not to do when talking with police" scenarios.

You need to do some reading, OP. You're lucky you're not sitting in jail for your big mouth.

I would have shit my pants, I live on the boarder of RI to the point where if i take a right out of my driveway I am instantly in Cumberland. Be happy you didn't go to jail I would be happy to have a speeding ticket in that situation

Back
Top Bottom