My short conversation with a Mansfield Police Officer today.

Skysoldier

Forum Curmudgeon
NES Member
I live in Mansfield and my apartment is about three long blocks away from the range that the LEO's use....as the crow fly's.

I usually only hear them shooting on the weekends.

But this morning was different......they started around 8:00 am, and I heard gunfire for over an hour....

They must have shot up a thousand dollars of ammo![rofl]

I get off work and head to Cumberland Farms to cash a Keno ticket......and when I was there a local PD guy comes in.

"Hey, I just wanted to ask you......what were you guy's doing at the range today? I never heard so much gunfire in one morning."

He looks at me, with this apologetic face.........

"I know, it was a lot of noise. Our local SWAT unit scheduled a shoot this morning. I don't know why they decided to do it this morning. We got over two dozen calls complaining about the noise
this morning, and I am sorry if it bothered you."

"It didn't bother me," I said, "I like hearing the sound of gunfire, and if it means you guy's are practicing....the more the better! I grew up in the military, and the sound of gunfire gives
me comfort, just like the sound of a fighter jet flying over my house!"

We parted ways.....but I really wanted to ask him...........

Why does Mansfield think they need a SWAT team?

I don't think it's specifically for Mansfield. My wife's cousin is a LE in Milford and he's on the regional SWAT Team servicing the area. From what he was telling me, it's a group made up of LEs from many different local towns that have the necessary training for that position. They have an area they cover in the event a SWAT Team is needed. Each town contributes to the team so they have the availability of the team without having to front the cost of an entire team. He was telling me they have 12-13 towns involved in it, but they will respond to local towns that are not directly participating.

you never know when a 107 year old is going to refuse to be moved out of his apt.

pew- pew- pew.

Back
Top Bottom