My Saiga 7.62x39 Conversion (PICS!!)

Quick update....went to the range yesterday for it's first test fire after conversion. First 3 shots, the trigger wouldn't reset unless I pushed it forward myself. So I field stripped it and noticed that 1 side of the hammer spring was sitting between the trigger and the disconnector. So I tweaked the spring a little bit so it would seat properly, put it back together, and successfully fired the remaining 87rds with only one FTE. Other than that, this thing was right on!!! Didn't mess with the sights much, but on the lowest sight level (1) I was hitting an 8" diameter "shoot and see" target @ 50 yards from my shoulder standing up, so I was happy with it. All my Pre-ban mags were feeding fine, & the action was great!!

Then when I got home, I learned that my TWS Dog Leg had come in which I installed today and threw on a barska scope that I already had for now. I put my EOTech XPS on it but the sight level was not comfortable, it feels better on my AR, which is where it will stay. The Barska, on the other hand, sits nice and low, eye relief is exactly where it needs to be, and it's comfortable to look through with a good enough cheek weld to be consistent. Down the line maybe I'll upgrade, but for now I'll mess around with this one. Also, I didn't order a peep sight, but TWS included one. So I can always throw that thing on and take off the scope to practice with iron sights if I'd like. Here's a few pics:

6ce15fbc.jpg

94a1e3a2.jpg

81e4b1f0.jpg

4c89bb31.jpg

8224b1be.jpg

I may end up just leaving the iron sights on most of the time, but I wanted my build to include this rail so easy optic mounting is an option. May end up getting a low rise red dot or something like that, but not exactly sure. Only time will tell!! I'm just kind of on the fence about the "scope on an AK" look...

Last edited:
I'm just kind of on the fence about the "scope on an AK" look...

shoot it with it on there. If it feels right and shoots better with it, I don't see why not.

Let us know how that top cover holds zero. I've always been weary of them, but ever since I've seen the new "AK replacement" in russia, and see a similar system on it, I guess it might be alright if it mounts to the RSB like that. I've seen some that even have a set screw near the rear of the dust cover.

shoot it with it on there. If it feels right and shoots better with it, I don't see why not.

Let us know how that top cover holds zero. I've always been weary of them, but ever since I've seen the new "AK replacement" in russia, and see a similar system on it, I guess it might be alright if it mounts to the RSB like that. I've seen some that even have a set screw near the rear of the dust cover.

I've heard only good things about these TWS Dog Legs, and that they do hold zero well. I will put it through the paces and see how it does. It uses the rear leaf spring to keep it tight on the pivot pin, and it sits snugly on the receiver. When you flip it up u cannot twist it much, it seems really rigid as well, no wobble, seems solid. I will definately give the scope a shot and see how I feel about it then.

Update: I have spent a few hours with and shot 400rds through this rifle, no jams, no light strikes, no more FTE's, and hammer spring is staying where it should, trigger resets everytime and is only getting even smoother. it cycles perfectly, however it ejects every spent casing forward and to the right, about 3:00. Is that normal??

Also, i put 2 30rd mags through it at rapid fire with no time in between and that friggin handguard was hot!!! It says in the manual there is a heat shield, but I doubt it. If so, the thing sux, LOL. So, like it or not, I wrapped the handguard with matching paracord I did the stock with and it helped, and I think, looks pretty good!!! It makes the foregrip feel much better too, weighs nothing, but is tough as hell. It insulates the heat much better now so it's manageable.

Also, I messed with the scope, sighted it in....ehh, not liking it. It held zero well. I popped up the rail after zeroing it, turned it upside down so the scope and rail swung back and forth, let it swing all the way open, let it swing back closed. It was still right on, so I'm happy with it. But I don't like the scope. I put on the rear peep sight and have enjoyed the last 200rds looking through the iron. I had to bring the front sight post way up cuz i was hitting about a foot high at 50yds, but i got it pretty dead on right now. But I think i will try a low rise red dot type optic and see how I like that soon enough. Here it is with camo handguard:

d8b05208.jpg

53cd3b33.jpg

2c154f10.jpg

95b4b869.jpg

Last edited:
I really like the look of that, excellent work!

Thanks!! I kinda second guessed the paracord idea, but it worked wel on the stock, so I figured I'd try it on the foregrip. And the look is growing on me for sure!! It's like a matching stock & handguard set.

Back
Top Bottom