• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My reloading accident [gross pics warning]

I lay here typing with only 1 hand.

I went down to my bench to crank out a few rounds today. I left the press set up for my 9mm rounds but i wanted to check the powder charge.

When I load I guide the shell casings around with my left hand so they aren't jolted to a stop when the shell plate indexes. I do this so the powder doesn't fly out on movement.

Somehow my left pinky finger fell below the plate of the press and i pushed the handle forward squashing my finger pretty badly. i could pull the front of the finger down like the front of a ferry boat.

I'm not a wuss. I've worked on many cars with many injuries. I looked down, saw my finger, saw my bone and knew this wasn't something i could just walk off. i ran upstairs to get my girlfriend. she took me to the ER.

The damage?
A compound open fracture of my finger. My nail and bone split my nail in 2 pieces.

A hand surgeon was called in from home to operate. he removed the 2 pieces of nail. If you can imagine how you'd do that, that is exactly how he did. No special tools. pliers, knife, scissors. Painful? yes

he sewed up my nail bed, tried to align my bone and tucked a portion of my nail back under my skin...again think of how you would do that...thats how he did it.

i'm at home now.

the good thing is that i will be much better at shooting strong handed for the next few months. i hope this heals up well.

pics

the second pic down shows the bone between the nails.
i drew a smiley face in blood in a square of gauze for my nurse.
23mofa0.jpg

33bzfo1.jpg

bfnr6o.jpg

Last edited:
Ouch, that sucks man. At least it's probably your least important finger. Here's to a full and quick recovery.

wow. ouch. glad you will be ok
i'm a little nervous it wont heal right. i have my doubts that it will.
Dr says 6 months before the nail grows back. unsure about the bone healing.

its actually still bleeding. not a good thing
That sucks. I feel for you. I've done the same thing only worse.
details? did it heal correctly?

Last edited:

Well, yes and no. Let's just say that there a reason I now shoot lefty.

I'm not joking either.

ETA: You'll be fine. You injured the finger equivalent of your appendix. It'll heal up fine, and you'll never know the difference.

Last edited:
i'm a little nervous it wont heal right. i have my doubts that it will.
Dr says 6 months before the nail grows back. unsure about the bone healing.

As EC said, the short answer is yes, it will heal fine, but it will take time. I've busted up a couple myself, once by shutting a van door on it [shocked]. The nail will probably fall off in time and then slowly grow back, perhaps a little "off" in shape, but otherwise normal. What you will learn is that fingertip will be REALLY sensitive to the touch for at least six months or so, but after enough time you won't even notice it. Hang in there and chalk it up to being one of those "lessons" in life we all have.

Finger injuries bleed forever. I sliced the tip of one of my fingers open a few years ago, and that sucker must've bled for 3 days. I probably should have gotten stitches, but the thought of having some guy/lady jamming a needle into my finger disturbed me enough that I said screw it... I just kept changing the bandage.

Glad it wasn't as bad as I thought it was when reading the subject line and the first sentence. When you said "typing with one hand" I was like... "OMG, wtf did he do to blow off a hand?" [laugh]

Hopefully it heals faster than you expect.

-Mike

OUCH !!! That most be throbbing real good by now. Take it easy. Did they say to Ice it or anything like that ??? Did they give you good drugs [thumbsup] [smile] .

OUCH!!!! just keep it clean and let it air out once in a while, and you'll be good to go. Just gotta get the bleeding to stop first. Just be careful putting that .308 together!! Should be going to the range with the Savage next weekend, i'll let you know the results!! Good luck with the recovery!

Wow, that sucks. That looks worse than my big toe after I dropped an eighty pound pail of wheelweights on it a couple of weeks ago.
I only had to get a hole burned through the nail in order to relieve the pressure from the blood under the nail. I'm probably going
to lose the nail as well, but it's going to come off on it's own. I wince thinking about what you had to deal with. Finger injuries are
very painful. I hope they gave you good drugs.

Last edited:
ouch ouch ouch ouch ouch OUCH!

Hope it's better soon , and thanks for the heads up, I know I'm going to be more
careful of my fingers and toes for a while now!

Back
Top Bottom