• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My other project - AR Build

W

wolf223

so far so good. post-ban build going as planned

DPMS Lower

ACE AR-15 ARFX Skeleton Buttstock Assembly

*minor issue(s)

1. can NOT get the recoil pad on the butt stock with regular hand tools. need a vice or
2nd pair of hands for the lower screw. it seems to be 1/4" too short. right now, I've left it off.

2. one of my evil cats missplaced my rear take down pin spring (detention spring). no big deal... i'm sure it will turn up soon.

Other than that, no issues.. pretty easy

DSCN0355.jpg

DSCN0356.jpg

PM'd JDL Sales and have trolled Midway and Del-ton. hope to have this done within the next 30 to 45 days.

Future Plans:

1. change out the pistol grip
2. flat top upper w / standard or rail handguards (depending on cost)
3. flip up front and rear sights (afterwards)
4. bi-pod and scope (within 180 days to a year)

any advice and pointers are more than welcome.[smile]

Last edited by a moderator:
I can still hear the buffer spring sound from the 4th of July shoot when I tried another NES members AR with that stock. [thinking]

your hearing is remarkable... [laugh]

i don't know if i'd even notice between the BANG & hearing protection.

i'll be sure to try and listen for it though..

jay,

That looks really nice so far. I am planning on doing the same with one of my lowers from the group buy. Any suggestions about putting the stock on the lower? Anything I should be caredul about?

jay,

That looks really nice so far. I am planning on doing the same with one of my lowers from the group buy. Any suggestions about putting the stock on the lower? Anything I should be caredul about?

it's pretty cut and dry. of course, do a test fit, don't over tighten and should be good to go.

the instructions are pretty clear, however, i am more of a "visual" person so I was hoping for more pictures [smile] - like an Ikea product.

i rec'd a PM from a dealer on here who said the ACE butt stock kits have been shipped to him with the wrong screw. so i will go and get a 3/8" to 1/2" screw to secure the recoil pad on the butt stock.

my camera (Nikon) sucks at close range, i will get girly girls camera later and post pics of the screws.

this is my first build, so I'm not an expert either.

your hearing is remarkable... [laugh]

i don't know if i'd even notice between the BANG & hearing protection.

i'll be sure to try and listen for it though..

youve never noticed the springs noise?
ive heard it for every M16, M4 and AR ive ever fired, i think its really loud. when i let the swedish army play around with my rifle they noticed it also.

youve never noticed the springs noise?
ive heard it for every M16, M4 and AR ive ever fired, i think its really loud. when i let the swedish army play around with my rifle they noticed it also.

i'd guess it's more of a "rattle" that is felt IMO - not heard and it's pretty normal.

i haven't gotten to touch a military weapon since 2006. pretty sad huh? they were muskets (M16 A2's) at the range and before that, M16 A1's at Ft. Dix NCO Academy. LOL, full auto with blanks for the STX.

i guess i'm thinking of it the wrong way..

i'd guess it's more of a "rattle" that is felt IMO - not heard and it's pretty normal.

i haven't gotten to touch a military weapon since 2006. pretty sad huh? they were muskets (M16 A2's) at the range and before that, M16 A1's at Ft. Dix NCO Academy. LOL, full auto with blanks for the STX.

i guess i'm thinking of it the wrong way..

On AR-15.com I believe they refer to it as "sproing". All of my AR's do it too.

On the ACE stock, any benefits over a traditional stock (other than looking really cool)?

Last edited:
On AR-15.com I believe they refer to it as "sproing". All of my AR's do it too.

On the ACE stock, any benefits over a traditional stock (other than looking relly cool)?

i don't like the A1, A2 regular stock and i sure as hell don't wat a fixed - M4 knock-off.

this is a happy medium for me to fullfil the post-ban requirements [smile]

Very nice start Jay.
She's gonna be a beauty when her upper torso arrives [smile]
I'd throw her a shot [shocked].....down range
Can't wait to see the finished results.

Have a good un'

Op

That ACE stock looks great. I just put a Collapsible stock on my colt preban and I"m not too crazy about it. Im going to order the ACE from Midway.

Last edited:
The Sully is am M4 stock developed to fill a void for those who want a collapsable length stock, but do not like the collapsable stocks themselves.

RRA tried it with the "Entry", (I think made by CavArms). It's essentially chopped off A2 stock, with a terrible cheek weld. I bought one and sent it back immediately after opening the package.

Then along came Ace with it's successful version of a short stock. I do believe it was introduced during the AWB - again, for those wanting a collapsable length stock, but could not get one due to the ban. I do not flame those for their preferences, but I found the Ace stocks to be barely adequate personally. I underlined, because people get touchy when you criticize something they like, (I know I do sometimes). I found the Ace to be lacking in the cheek weld department, (plus, that foam sleeve gets smelly)...[shocked] I liked the attachment point for the sling, but little else felt right. It seemed "mall-ninja like", where the Sully feels purposeful. The recoil pad was a bear to get on and I found the finish to be not so great.

The Sully was developed by Greg 'Sully" Sullivan - not to fill a role in the AWB, but from the ground up for operators not thrilled by the minuses of both a traditional collapsable stock and the Ace. Frankly, I'm surprised Vltor did not jump in the ring with a carbine version of their excellent fixed A2 Clubfoot, but Sully filled the void nicely. Cheek weld is superb and LOP can be adjusted by adding spacers, (which mount easily). It's also made of plastic compounds that are easy to drill in order to mount sling options and will not crack, (It's a buttstroke friendly stock - trust me). Some say it's a bit on the heavy side, but I found it not to be the case and in fact, it balances a carbine perfectly. Here's more:

http://prostores2.carrierzone.com/servlet/defensive-edgenet/-strse-83/Sully-Stock/Detail

YHM makes some very good stuff. Just make sure what you buy is actually made by them. YHM store has some not so good CAA stuff mixed in with their products...

Seeing uppers up close and other products from them, they are in my view a good company. The Q.C. is really attention to detail with YHM stamps. That and being made here in MA. supports our local job market and economy.

Seeing uppers up close and other products from them, they are in my view a good company. The Q.C. is really attention to detail with YHM stamps. That and being made here in MA. supports our local job market and economy.

Amen to that - wouldn't it be nice if we could buy their fun stuff here too? Between Troy, YHM and ARMS, (others?), we have some good companies right here in Mass...I'm still a sucker for LaRue above all though....[wink]

The Sully is am M4 stock developed to fill a void for those who want a collapsable length stock, but do not like the collapsable stocks themselves.

RRA tried it with the "Entry", (I think made by CavArms). It's essentially chopped off A2 stock, with a terrible cheek weld. I bought one and sent it back immediately after opening the package.

Then along came Ace with it's successful version of a short stock. I do believe it was introduced during the AWB - again, for those wanting a collapsable length stock, but could not get one due to the ban. I do not flame those for their preferences, but I found the Ace stocks to be barely adequate personally. I underlined, because people get touchy when you criticize something they like, (I know I do sometimes). I found the Ace to be lacking in the cheek weld department, (plus, that foam sleeve gets smelly)...[shocked] I liked the attachment point for the sling, but little else felt right. It seemed "mall-ninja like", where the Sully feels purposeful. The recoil pad was a bear to get on and I found the finish to be not so great.

The Sully was developed by Greg 'Sully" Sullivan - not to fill a role in the AWB, but from the ground up for operators not thrilled by the minuses of both a traditional collapsable stock and the Ace. Frankly, I'm surprised Vltor did not jump in the ring with a carbine version of their excellent fixed A2 Clubfoot, but Sully filled the void nicely. Cheek weld is superb and LOP can be adjusted by adding spacers, (which mount easily). It's also made of plastic compounds that are easy to drill in order to mount sling options and will not crack, (It's a buttstroke friendly stock - trust me). Some say it's a bit on the heavy side, but I found it not to be the case and in fact, it balances a carbine perfectly. Here's more:

http://prostores2.carrierzone.com/servlet/defensive-edgenet/-strse-83/Sully-Stock/Detail

i got my signature line for the next few weeks. [laugh]

Local MA company and it looks like most of their stuff isn't legal to own in MA.

I have heard good things about YH.

i just love it when us Ma**h***s can NOT support our local businesses [hmmm]

I did see muzzle breaks and "bull" barrels.. [thinking] I'm going to ping them and see...

I also saw threaded bull barrel's for 10/22, so I'm inclined to think they do "mAss Compliant" stuff all the time.

we'll see

I contacted ACE Ind. last week to let them know that the screw kits for the skeleton stock were missing the longer screw to attach the lower end of the but pad to the but stock. They told me they just found out about the problem the day before. Unfortunately all the stock kits that have gone out before last Tuesday are all missing the screw.
I had three of these stocks to install and this is how I found out about the problem, I had screws in stock so it really was not a problem for me. I asked ACE to send me some screws and I just received them, the problem is they are not the screws that are missing from the stock kit, they are the screws to attach the upper part of the pad to the but stock. They still don't have it right. I will have to call them back and get the right screws.
You can also contact ACE Ind. and get them to send you the correct screw for your installation.

Hmm... that would explain why the buttplate fell off when I was reinstalling the stock/tube assembly onto my AR the other day.

Back
Top Bottom