• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My new SKS (photos added)

The Goose

NES Member
Last week I purchased a Yugoslavian SKS and of course it was covered with cosmoline. I did not realize what I was getting into, although the heckling from the other folks at the gun shop should have given me a clue. Oh boy!

When I got home I opened the sealed box and removed the rifle and a bunch of other goodies. There was some cleaning stuff, tools, a moldy canvas sling and some moldy leather ammunition pouches and a little paper manual. I followed the instructions in the little paper manual and field stripped it as far as instructed, but for the life of me I could not figure out how to remove the action and barrel from the stock. Regardless I started cleaning with WD-40 and some rags. About five hours later it was semi clean. The next day I worked on it again for several hours. Finally, I felt it was pretty clean, but the stock was still on and I knew that I was not done.

My next step was to find Milsurps 4 Me’s sticky on the SKS which led me to www.surplusrifle.com , then I really knew I was not done. So last night I went back to work. I field stripped it again, but this time I pulled the trigger group and magazine and took the action and barrel out of the stock. I also took the bolt apart. I cleaned all of the stuff that had not been cleaned and re-cleaned everything that had already been cleaned. Especially the gas tube. Another four hours or so. I would say it is 99% at this point, but I will go over it again tonight. Today I bought a can of Tung Oil for the stock.

The revelation is this. To date I have close to 15 hours invested in my new beauty and I have thoroughly enjoyed every second. What a feeling of accomplishment and satisfaction. I just cannot describe the sheer enjoyment I have experienced throughout the process. That rifle is MINE!! I know it inside and out intimately. When I am completely done I will post some pictures. To all of you it will look like a thousand others, but to me it is a special treasure.

PS. A special thanks to Milsurps 4 Me for taking the time to post that sticky.

Last edited:
Glad to be of help. Much like I explained to a few others on here a while back about disassembling and cleaning milsurp rifles, There is a certain satisfcation of doing it yourself. Now that you've had every part in your hands and have lovingly scrubbed them up and reassembled, you're knowledge of that rifle's workings are much better than the average shooter's. This can help in trouble shooting any problems or repairs you might encounter when dealing in old surplus rifles, not to mention being able to spot broken parts or trouble before it starts because you can examine every piece.
Before you oil the stock make sure its good and clean first and completely dry. You can use solvents like thinner or acetone if you just want to remove surface grease and grime, or go for a more hardcore scrubbing by using water and cleaners. There are plenty of methods on this forum: http://p102.ezboard.com/fparallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforumsfrm34
Most will say stay away from water for cleaning wood but for me if I'm going to degrease a really cosmolene soaked stock, I'll spray it with Purple Power. Its found at Wal Mart and sells for $4 a gallon. I spray it straight on a stock and let it start pulling the grease out, then respray and scrub with a kitchen scouring pad and wash it well with water untill its no longer slimey feeling. Then I'll let it dry for a few days, smooth it out by buffing down the wood with 00 steel wool, wipe clean with a rag lightly damp with paint thinner, and start applying tung oil. I use this method on Mauser stocks because Tung Oil was the prefered finish originally.
I think Yugo SKS stocks are Elm and are very dense so dirt and grease don't soak in too deep. I've cleaned my Yugos with Turpentine and used Goo Off for stubborn grease spots. Then I rub a few coats of Formby's Lemon Oil or if they're really dry I use Boiled Linseed Oil. The Lemon Oil is a good preservative and can be reapplied every couple of months if you want to keep the wood protected especially in dry climates and through the dry winter months.
Congrats on your new purchase and yes I'd like to see pics of it when you're done.[grin]

maggot.jpg

So today the trigger group is off to Tom Prince (aka Kivaari) in Texas to be redone. I have also ordered a Tech-Sight TS200 aperature sight. In the meantime I continue to obsess over the cleanliness of each little piece and to lovingly rub in light layers of Tung oil into the stock. In a few weeks I should have a great little shooter.

I love the feeling I have once I've completely stripped, cleaned and restored a rifle to perfect working condition !

...waiting to see pic of finished rifle. [thinking] [smile]

Back
Top Bottom