My new S&W 442 prints ("shows") in my pocket

KAYSPOP

Banned
I carry my new Smith & Wesson 442 Airweight Revolver (which is awesome) in my jeans pocket (please don't suggest "wear other pants, as I can only wear jeans at work)...but it "prints" in my pocket, in my Uncle Mike's holster....can anyone suggest something that will totally prevent "printing" with the 442 in my pocket??

A different style of jeans that gives you a little more room in the pocket? If you can't/don't want to try out the actual piece then find something of similar size to find some candidates to bring home. There are so many different cuts of jeans that you should be able to find something.

I might also suggest a leather pocket holster that prints "wallet" or something else instead of "gun" if your pants are already roomy in the pocket area. Smartcarry could print something else if your pants aren't roomy...[smile]

I carry my 442 daily at work in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster (link). Whether in jeans or khakis I have no issues with printing.

I've never tried it but how about ankle carry.

I carry on my ankle also (Glock 26), but the reasson I carry pocket 442 occurred just recently, downtown Boston, broad daylight, financial district...some young scumball walked up to me and asked me "Yo, man, let me use your lighter Yo.." even though I wasn't smoking....I said "I don't have a lighter, I don't smoke" and he reached inside his pocket and produced a knife....He had the drop on me, period, and I had no time to grab my ankle!!).I had to run around the corner, drop / fall, and grab my G26 off my ankle and point it at him and scream "I'll blow your fu**king head off right here!!!!"...He then backed off and ran....Had I had my 442 in my pocket, I wouldn't have had the need to run / fall....he would have received the 442 muzzle immediately in his face....Ankle? Yeah, my "power" is there for when some whack job stands up on the subway train with his AK47 and declares that it's "judgment day" (Yeah, you're right, it is! For you!!!!)...but for immediate "in your face" protection, the 442 is the bomb! But I need a holster that won't print in my pocket!!

I carry on my ankle also (Glock 26), but the reasson I carry pocket 442 occurred just recently, downtown Boston, broad daylight, financial district...some young scumball walked up to me and asked me "Yo, man, let me use your lighter Yo.." even though I wasn't smoking....I said "I don't have a lighter, I don't smoke" and he reached inside his pocket and produced a knife....He had the drop on me, period, and I had no time to grab my ankle!!).I had to run around the corner, drop / fall, and grab my G26 off my ankle and point it at him and scream "I'll blow your fu**king head off right here!!!!"...He then backed off and ran....Had I had my 442 in my pocket, I wouldn't have had the need to run / fall....he would have received the 442 muzzle immediately in his face....Ankle? Yeah, my "power" is there for when some whack job stands up on the subway train with his AK47 and declares that it's "judgment day" (Yeah, you're right, it is! For you!!!!)...but for immediate "in your face" protection, the 442 is the bomb! But I need a holster that won't print in my pocket!!

Did you go to BC?

You know, if you duct taped a ceramic plate to your chest and wore a level 1 vest over it you can stop a .338 Lapua Magnum.

Gecko? Is that you bro? Where ya been?

There is another solution:

Gun_Xray.jpg

I carry my SW36 in my front pocket in a DeSantis pocket holster. By looking you can tell there is something in my pocket but it could easily be a wallet or a cell phone, it is not even slightly obvious it is a gun.

Are you sure you are printing. I don't mean an outline, but an outline that says GUN.

Seriously, a lot of people are very paranoid when they put a gun on. Trust me, nobody is looking.

Do this test. Pt your gun in one pocket and your cell phone in the other, with a set of car keys on top.

ask your friend/wife, whatever if they notice a gun. Don't tell them its in your pocket. Just let them look youonce over. See how it goes.

I've got a 340 (same profile as your gun) and while it definitely leaves a bulge, it is not square and doesn't shout GUN like my Kahr PM9 does if carried in a front pocket.

Don

[hmmm]

When did this happen? Where in Financial District? Weekend or Work Week? Just curious as I work down there and carry a S&W 360...sometimes in my pocket other times in my bag for the nut with the AK. It was my feeling that I was pretty safe with the rush hour crowds. "Muggers" would stay away due to the number of witnesses. I will be carrying full time in my pocket now.

[angry]

Use a Mika's.

+1 for a Mika. Great holster.

I've been waiting 23 weeks as of today for my Mika. Contacted him after after 18 weeks. This was his message back to me...

I will get going your way early next week. Do most of my holster making on the weekends as I have almost no time during the week because of my other full time job as chief of police.Thanks,R.Mika

That was 5 weeks ago.

Screw Mika[sad2][angry]

As mentioned but a poster above, you may just be really self concious. What you may want to do is get the honest opinion of someone you know well and ask them. Don't tell them you've got your carry piece in your pocket and see if they notice. Ask them "Do you notice anything different about me?" They'll look up and down and if they don't see an imprint, you're good to go.

If you are still concerned, you can insert a thin piece of some stiff material (a piece of leather purchaed from a shoe repair shop) that will be the same size of your pocket and provide a flat structure to the front of your pocket lining. It would slip in just in front of your holster. It shouldn't cause any issues with your pistol access but will provide that extra layer of "flattness' to help hide any imprint. I've done this in the past with good success.

Rome

chill out. he's a good dude.

32 weeks for mine. i went into the purchase knowing that it's just something he does in his spare time and i had a cheapo uncle mike's to hold me over. i'm very pleased with the quality product i did receive in the end.

No need for me to chill out, thanks, I'm not the type to get overly excited about much. I wish I had ordered a cheapo holster to hold me over when I bought my 642...but I didn't because I figured I could wait 12 to 16 weeks for a holster. Now at 23 weeks the 642 goes to the range with me sometimes. Other than that it's still useless, because I still don't have a holster.

So, should I buy a cheapo holster to hold me over at this point or can I wait another ???????? weeks for my Mika?

To stay on subject here. If you are looking for a good pocket holster, order a Mika, and something to hold you over (adds to the expense of a Mika, but maybe its worth it). Or your 442 will stay in the safe for a long time.

Here's the latest from Mika's website.

Dear Customer,

Turn around time for orders is now set at 16-20 weeks. Let me stress that this is only temporary as I have just taken measures to accelerate my production level. Beginning January 31, 2010 I anticipate having my back orders filled and a new turnaround time of 2-3 weeks set in place. In closing I would like say thanks to all of my present and future customers for considering my holsters as their preferred method of carry. If you want the best, look no further.

Sincerely,

Robert Mika

Whoever said get the cheap holster while you wait for the Mika is right on. Well worth the wait for this ugly, but otherwise excellent holster. Wait 'til you feel how well the gun draws from it. My wife added about 2" to the length of my strong side pockets in my jeans. That made the gun all but invisible.

Back
Top Bottom