My new reloading room...

Well, I've redone my gun room. I'm almost done but still have some things to take care of. I have to finish putting down the vinyl flooring and I'm thinking of putting in a drop ceiling or something similiar. I'm not sure yet though.

Anyways I went from this:

reloading002.jpg

To this:

photobucket001.jpg

The press is a Dillon XL650 and I'm thinking of adding a 1050 to the mix but I'm not sure yet. I added the pegboard and a bunch of acro type bins. I have a ton more but currently don't have a use for them. I have my bullet components under my table for the most part and primers and powders above on the shelf. I painted most of the area and put down vinyl flooring. I added a flourescent light above my press and want to do the same under my shelf but I don't think it's a good idea because of heat. I have at least 25lbs of powder and 11,000 primers so it makes me a bit nervous. LOL

photobucket002.jpg

photobucket003.jpg

photobucket005.jpg

I also just purchased a new firesafe which fits perfectly. I still have to finish loading it up though.

photobucket006.jpg

photobucket004.jpg

What do you think?

Pete

Sweeeeet set up ! [shocked] [bow] [rockon]

But that safe is sooooooooooooo empty lookin ! [thinking]

Well, I haven't finished loading it all up yet. I have other guns upstairs in my other safe. Plus, if you take the 2 long guns and the 2 guns on the top shelf that's over $10,000 alone. These things add up quickly...

Well, I haven't finished loading it all up yet. I have other guns upstairs in my other safe. Plus, if you take the 2 long guns and the 2 guns on the top shelf that's over $10,000 alone. These things add up quickly...

$10K for four firearms. HOLY CRAP!!!!!

Really nice reloading station as well. Um, so when are you getting the next installment payment from the megabucks???

Pete,
you certainly have caught the "fever"
Looks like your officially IPSICK, like the rest of us..............

9x21
ipsick since 1988

I'd get love/hate from the wife. She'd love it if my workbench downstairs had that much organization, she'd hate it if I spent that much cash.[grin]
I think we need a show us your work bench thread.

That's a really nice set-up, it makes mine look like a closet.

Are you using an electronic reloading scale? Don't get it to close to the fluorescent lights, IIRC they can throw off the accuracy.

That's a really nice set-up, it makes mine look like a closet.

Are you using an electronic reloading scale? Don't get it to close to the fluorescent lights, IIRC they can throw off the accuracy.

I am using a digital scale. I've never heard of that before but thanks for the heads up. My lights are a few feet away but maybe I'll start shutting them off when checking my powder measurements. My wife has been on my case lately about buying guns. I had a lot more but took a year off of shooting and sold most of what I had to get into racing. Then I sold my racing gear and bought better guns. Sad part is that I made money when I sold my guns and lost thousands when I sold my racing gear. Go Figure!!!!

Anyways, I'm going to pick more flooring up this week and hopefully finish off the entire area with the vinyl floor. It makes picking up spent primers much easier. The biggest flaw with the XL650 is that instead of catching primers it throws them all over the floor. LOL

Thanks for all the compliments,
Pete

I am using a digital scale. I've never heard of that before but thanks for the heads up. My lights are a few feet away but maybe I'll start shutting them off when checking my powder measurements. My wife has been on my case lately about buying guns. I had a lot more but took a year off of shooting and sold most of what I had to get into racing. Then I sold my racing gear and bought better guns. Sad part is that I made money when I sold my guns and lost thousands when I sold my racing gear. Go Figure!!!!

Anyways, I'm going to pick more flooring up this week and hopefully finish off the entire area with the vinyl floor. It makes picking up spent primers much easier. The biggest flaw with the XL650 is that instead of catching primers it throws them all over the floor. LOL

Thanks for all the compliments,
Pete

I might have had it wrong...

Speer suggests keeping mechanical scales at least 3' away from fluorescent lighting...

http://www.speer-bullets.com/default.asp?s1=5&s2=19

Never attempt to reload without immediate access to a reliable reloading scale. Scales built for other purposes, such as cooking or postage, are unacceptable. Check the "zero" of the scale before each powder weighing session. Once a month, remove dust from the scale and calibrate. Calibration weight sets are available from RCBS and other manufacturers. Check both zero and calibration if the scale is jarred or moved from its normal location. Avoid locating mechanical scale within three (3) feet (one meter) of fluorescent lights. The electromagnetic fields generated by such lights can cause weighing errors.

But then here...

http://www.speer-bullets.com/default.asp?s1=5&s2=18

they simply mention "powder scales"...

7. Keep powder scales at least three feet from fluorescent lights to prevent inaccurate readings.

And this site with comments from a world class shooter specifically mentions "electronic scales"...

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek031.html

I haven't changed my reloading methods in quite a while. The last change I've made is moving back to a beam scale to check the powder my Harrell's measure is throwing. I've moved away from electronic scales as my new reloading room is full of fluorescent lights, which gives these scales fits. For a major match, I sort bullets according to weight in 0.1 grain increments. I check the necks, and if there is a great deal of variation, I will neck turn but grudgingly so. My cases are sorted by weight and usually a lot of 100 cases will weigh the same +/- 0.2 grains. I did switch to Russian primers because they cost less and because they've produced impressively low SDs for me. Though many people don't clean primer pockets, I still do unless I wet-tumble (then the stainless steel bits clean the pockets for me). I wet-tumble now to get the inside of the cases clean.

(I would think that the delicate electronics in a digital scale would be more susceptible to interference. Probably the best bet is to avoid using any scale near a fluorescent fixture.).

Last edited:
3' is no big deal. If you don't want to hit your head on it, your lights are no doubt going to be 3' away from your bench/scale.

I bolted 4' dual fluorescents above both workbenches so that no matter what I'm doing, I have some serious light with which to work. Still haven't re-setup my reloading gear however.

Beautiful set-up, Pete. Absolutely beautiful. Makes my loading bench look like a corner of my garage ... well actually, it is a corner of my garage.

Back
Top Bottom