My new M&P..

1903Collector

NES Member
Took My new M&P9 out to the range this weekend. It's a great pistol but mine has one very annoying issue. The brass ejects straight back instead of off to the side and hits me in the face. This really inhibits me shooting it accurately. Anyone else have this problem with the M&P and if so what did you do if anything to fix it. Thanks....

03C.

Interesting

The exact same thing happened to me yesterday with the same gun and same ammo.
I was shooting one handed. When it happened I switched around to a firm
two hand grip and everything was fine. I never bought into the grip argument before, but it seemed to work

Picked it up at Northeast last week, it's the full size and the ammo was Winchester 115gr ball.

I feed my full sized Remington UMC 115gr FMJ from Dick's. Only once or twice have I had brass hit me in the head. Once I expected the case to still be on my head like a shrimp tail from a Japanese restaurant. [smile] Good thing I had my hat on!

The exact same thing happened to me yesterday with the same gun and same ammo.
I was shooting one handed. When it happened I switched around to a firm
two hand grip and everything was fine. I never bought into the grip argument before, but it seemed to work

I was using a standard two handed hold, I really don't think its a gripping problem because it is consistant, every single round in the face[crying]. I haven't had much luck with new guns lately [thinking].

Do you shoot at a range with lane dividers? Once i thought this was happening with my .22 but upon really thinking about it, i found my gun was ejecting just fine....straight to the right, where it would bounce off the lane divider and then smack me in the face. They move so fast, it might be hard to tell the difference. if youre in open lanes, im not sure.....

Maybe detail strip the whole gun and reassemble the sear housing unit but popping out the ejcetor and reassembling. The ejector is just a press fit, no pins holding it in the housing unit beyond the frame itself. Perhaps its just at a weird angle that allows it to eject but not correctly.

Wide open range, no lanes. There's no mistaking it they were flying straight out and back. You can see them coming right at you. It's kinda funny after a while I started ducking.

Wide open range, no lanes. There's no mistaking it they were flying straight out and back. You can see them coming right at you. It's kinda funny after a while I started ducking.

Kinda funny... if it wasn't so damn annoying. Mine tend to land on my head most of the time... if they all started hitting me in the face I'd be really pissed.

I'm switching the palm swells today and retrying tonight. The grip strength might help but I don't want a gun that I have to crush to avoid this! It will go to S&W if it keeps doing this. I had a gun do this for several hundred rounds and it's working fine now.. just took a while to break in I guess....

My Sigma used to do that all the time. I sent it back to S&W and now it only does it once every few mags.

My M&P 40 doesn't do it.

Haven't heard good things about the 10 lb trigger and in another thread it was said that it was not preferable to change out the trigger. That being said plus cassings smacking people in the head, how's the gun?

are you using an isosceles grip? a dominate-handed two-handed grip? I was thinking if you're left-handed and had the gun to your left more, maybe it was just enough to hit you square in the head?

Carl at FS says $489. Is this what people are finding. Plus before July something you get 2 extra mags.

I don't mean to turn this thread into a promo but at a retail of about $35/mag- you really need at least 4 mags for a gun imo. That bring the gun into the $419 range. Can beat that for what you get! Not a chance. I think there is actually a promo to get a range bag too!

I was putting my M&P 45 through its paces the other day, and I noticed that when I lip-wristed it, I got brass in the forehead. With a firm, two hand grip, no problem.

I bought mine from the SWSSC because I was there when I got the cash to buy it (from a FTF sale). Was 499 there.

are you using an isosceles grip? a dominate-handed two-handed grip? I was thinking if you're left-handed and had the gun to your left more, maybe it was just enough to hit you square in the head?

I hear what your saying and I might agree with you if the spent cases went even a little off to the side but they don't they come straight up out of the pistol and in my face/head. Anyway I field stripped and cleaned it last night, I have to admit that in my haste to get to the range with it Sunday I did not clean it before I fired it so maybe that will play into it? I'm gonna take it back to the range this weekend and put a few hundred more rounds thru it and see what happens. If it doesn't improve it's back to S&W. Other than this it is a great pistol.

[crying]

..but...but....I want a .45 too!!

Patience grasshopper!

I'm also planning on getting one as soon as it hits the EOPS List. I figure that we have a couple of month wait ahead of us.

Meanwhile if there are any design issues at all, it'll give S&W time to work them out. I do not need to be the first Beta Tester of guns, thank you.

It won't ever be as good as the original. It's already better.

enjoy the 10 round mags...ill take my 17+1 thank you!!!!

ive hesitated getting one of these and now seeing that you guys are having problems with them im glad i havent gotten one!

03c i hope everything works out for ya buddy

Back
Top Bottom