• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My new 7 yr old range partner!

I hope you don't mind the posting of a proud papa, but this was a great day at the range!

I took my oldest daughter to the range for the first time. She's been helping me clean rifles and reload for years, knows the safety rules, and checks the chamber without me prompting.

So today was the day. This is actually her second time shooting..she shot her little cricket .22 over the 4th at my folks' place. But she only put a few yards down range then.

Today we had all the time in the world, and she put round after round through the rifle. I started her off making sure she knew how to hold the rifle, controlling her breathing, and working on trigger control. After a couple dozen shots, her muscle memory kicked in and she had it down pat.

jeje3ane.jpg

She shot way more than I did, and wanted to keep shooting when I was ready to go.

She did really well with her cricket rifle, shooting at this target at 50 yards.

target.png

and her second target (which you can see in the background of the picture above). She was even starting to group them... I'll adjust the sights better when she gets more consistent (I basically set them for me a few months ago).

target%202.jpeg

She had a lot of fun, and asked when we could go out again.

image.png

She was also good at spotting for me when I was shooting (my 1896 Krag at 100 yds), pointing out where I hit the target on a copy we had at the bench.

Anyways, I hope your day at the range was as much fun. I was kind of surprised at how much fun it was. As a parent who tries to keep my kids in line -- especially in "grown-up" places, what I imagined the trip would be was a lot worse than how it ended up going :D

-Jason

Last edited:
And the bonus is this will equate to more time at the range (you know, "It's for the children")

Actually it was a good weekend altogether for noddaduma family shooting: on Friday I had my wife out for a rare (for her) range trip, where she then proceeded to outshoot me not only with her bow (and I lost an arrow), but also outshoot me with my own 1911. And it was the first time she had ever shot a .45 let alone that pistol argh.

Wife doesn't care much to go shooting, but she said she actually enjoyed herself this trip. She was particularly annoyed that she couldn't place every shot in the same hole in the center of the target every time (aren't we all).

Even though she shot awesome, I told her she could do better to subtly itch her competitive streak. :D. That'll probably bother her so much that she wants to go back (like every other shooter, right?)

Good job! It's rewarding quality time. Two of my kids had their first range trips earlier this year.
My youngest will have his 1st trip in a couple weeks after his birthday.

Nice, I can't wait to move and start our five year old started with safety lessons. I have shown her that rifle or the pink Rascal, and she would actually like one in camo like my Savage Axis! Nothing better than spending time to teach a young one how to shoot.

Charles.

Back
Top Bottom