My 'modern' M14 build...

Sweeney

NES Member
I posted at the beginning of the month about my intentions to build a modern rendition of the M14. I mistakenly posted it in the 'Firearms' section.

Anyway, I finally got my receiver and barrel the other day and tossed it all together. The Fulton receiver was perfect outside of a small cosmetic flaw on the left side... not worth addressing and it gets covered by the Troy stock.

The barrel is an 18.5" 'Wolfe Modified Medium Weight Fluted' made by Criterion and chrome lined. It clocked perfectly to hand tight allowing enough rotation to torque properly.

I used a new LRB bolt which needed just a pinch stoned off of the left lug chamfer to allow it to rotate into battery. I was preparing to lap the bolt in to headspace but found it was perfect using Go-No Go 7.62 NATO gauges.

The rest was sticking parts together.

IMG_0720_zps3d27c284.jpg

Fluted barrel in the upper
IMG_0722_zps0fd1f059.jpg

Checking trigger group and magazine fitment in the receiver
IMG_0721_zps8c9be707.jpg

Rinoplasty...
IMG_0723_zps707a75d4.jpg

With its elder brother
IMG_0724_zps46e9da45.jpg

I may mill off some of the rail on the top and bottom and I'm still trying to decide on the butt stock and grip. This chassis is neither AR15 or AR10 and a gap is left above the 'duck bill' on the grip. I have ideas to deal with this though functionally it matters not.

Very nice. It looks like that chassis puts the bore lower and more squarely in front of your shoulder than the traditional one does. I hope you like it, which I sincerely mean because I'm picking the same one up on Monday. [laugh]

Very nice. It looks like that chassis puts the bore lower and more squarely in front of your shoulder than the traditional one does. I hope you like it, which I sincerely mean because I'm picking the same one up on Monday. [laugh]

The barrel is actually slightly lower than the centerline of the buffer tube.

This is what I'm thinking of doing to the rails.
Trimmedrails_zps4f9ce42e.jpg

There are tapped holes every 1.5" through the rails so sections could be added if desired.

Last edited:
Very nice, I just started a Sage EBR build myself (just finishing pinning and welding the muzzle break on to make it legal!). I love a modern looking M14, makes ar15's looks like toys!

Found an interesting statistic while building mine, at 500 yards, the 7.62 hits with the same force as a 5.56 at 100 yards, the 5.56 at 500 yards has lost so much energy that it is non lethal!

Last edited:
After taking a few measurements I've determined that I can remove the full depth of the bottom rail. This will leave approximately 0.100" of material. It will leave open slots on the bottom but enough material remains for strength.

The upper rail is a different story and only the raised parts of the rail can be removed without compromising the structure.

I tweaked the image to represent this.

I better sharpen up the adze and get to it... [wink]

Last edited:
The first cut...

IMG_0725_zps0b581bef.jpg

IMG_0726_zps9b17da2a.jpg

Feels sooo much better in the hand with the bottom rail removed. I'll dress up the ends and edges once I decide in which way I want to do it.

Perhaps on to the top rail... not sure at the moment.

I would love to see a comparison between the new and old M 14s. What are the advantages of the new set up vs the old standard?

I would love to see a comparison between the new and old M 14s. What are the advantages of the new set up vs the old standard?

Besides having the mounting options provided by the rails the barrel is lower relative to the butt stock which should reduce muzzle lift. The front band tension can be tuned which is a critical component to accurizing the M14 along with trigger group lock-up which, on this chassis, is also adjustable.

The Troy chassis also gives you the option of using any AR grips and butt stocks along with all the various sighting systems out there.

I prefer the traditional M14 in its wood stock but this project gave me something to experiment with. This can easily be changed over to a wood or fiberglass USGI stock in short order. The longest part would be installing the rear sight assembly.

I finally got around to test firing this rifle and other than a tweak of the trigger group seating it works great. So, today I did some more milling. I did a bit more on the bottom near the magazine well moving the cut back a bit and increasing the radius. On the top I milled off the 'teeth' and chamfered the edges. I gave the cuts a quick spray to cover the bare aluminum while I ponder finishes. I may have it Cerakoted... the color I'm not sure of...

Bottom

Done cutting for now

Last edited:
Very nice ! Approx how much do you have invested in this, if I may ask?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! I'm into it for around $2K. I had some parts like the trigger group and op rod and a few other bits hanging around. The stock I found used for half price, etc. I barreled and head spaced it myself along with doing all the other work. If I decide to Cerakote, that will be the only work I'll pay someone to do.

It looks like you shaved down all of the places where the Troy chassis is unreasonably bulky. Too bad they decided to crap it up with so much rail to begin with.

You put that thing on a scale yet?

I don't know the actual weight but, the Troy stock weighs 1lb more than a USGI birch stock not including the butt and pistol grip. Mine is a bit less with the trimming I've done.

It handles really well in my opinion. If it begins to feel heavy I just switch to using two hands [wink]

It looks like you shaved down all of the places where the Troy chassis is unreasonably bulky. Too bad they decided to crap it up with so much rail to begin with.

Yeah and there's still plenty of rail if I ever found the need to drape stuff off of it.

Very nice, I just started a Sage EBR build myself (just finishing pinning and welding the muzzle break on to make it legal!). I love a modern looking M14, makes ar15's looks like toys!

Found an interesting statistic while building mine, at 500 yards, the 7.62 hits with the same force as a 5.56 at 100 yards, the 5.56 at 500 yards has lost so much energy that it is non lethal!
tell victor charlie that the 5.56 is not lethal at 500 yards[rofl]

Back
Top Bottom