My humble review of Ruger SR1911 Lightweight Commander

92G

Ruger SR1911 CMD 4.25" barrel, lightweight aluminum frame, Model # 6711

So I've been in the market for a commander size 1911 for a while, but my criteria were 1) series 70 design, 2) at or below 30 oz weight (keep in mind "lightweight" is relative to standard 40+ oz 1911s) and 3) near 100% reliability.

Last week Carl from Four Seasons sent out an email mentioning they stocked the new Ruger SR1911 lightweight so I headed over to FS to fondle this new Ruger. In hand, the gun immediately felt good. The ultra snug slide-frame fit inspire confidence. Per usual I just couldn't say no so my debit card and LTC went hand-in-hand....

Aesthetics:
The gun overall looks conservative, not flashy or trying too hard. Personally I like this style. The slide is very basic with serrations that are functional but not particularly refined. The slide and frame have a matte finish which I personally prefer. The laser etching on the slide is a bit cheesy but I've come to expect this from Ruger. The typical Ruger safety warnings are barely visible on this model due to the dark frame. In contrast the standard SR1911 models have the usual warnings "caution can fire with magazine removed", "caution please read instruction manual", "caution this gun shoots bullets", "caution guns are scary", yada yada yada. Anyway these warnings aren't noticeable on this SR1911 lightweight model - another win Ruger! The skeletonized trigger and hammer are also a nice touch. While I don't have a personal preference on internal vs. external extractor on a 1911, the internal extractor on this SR1911 gives the slide a classy appearance and provides for symmetric slide serrations (i.e. the R-slide serration is not interrupted by an external extractor).

Ergos:
The stock wooden grips felt nice in hand. However I took them off and replaced them with magpul grips since I prefer a thumb cut-out to easily reach the mag release (note: the magpul grips fit nicely although the stock grip screws are a bit short for the magpul grips). The frame "checkering" is minimal with only half-dozen front vertical striations. However it seems to work just fine as I had no issues maintaining a one-handed grip while firing. The mainspring checkering is aggressive and works well. Magazine release and retention are both very positive. The thumb safety is easy to actuate but I would prefer slightly more tactile engagement/disengagement. I wouldn't describe the safety as "mushy" but it's not as crisp to lock up/down as perhaps my Sig or S&W 1911. The slide release is a standard size and does its job fine.

Shooting:
The gun handles recoil beautifully. Compared to full size 40 oz 1911, recoil is only slightly higher on the SR1911 lightweight. Muzzle flash is also marginally stronger, but still manageable in low light conditions assuming the right loads are fired. The trigger is ultra crisp with a clean break - it's exactly how a 1911 trigger should feel. The sight picture is plain Jane novak sights. Meh. The POI was a bit low for my taste (I prefer a 6 O'clock hold) which I attribute to what looks like a rather tall front sight. My plan is to replace these sights with either Heinie straight 8's or similar non 3-dot sight system (personal preference i just don't care for 3 dot sights). While I haven't yet tested the accuracy of this SR1911, I was able to easily connect at 20 yards on a 6" target. Suffice to say that this gun is not the limiting factor to my shooting accuracy. Overall very positive and satisfying shooting experience. I'm impressed.

Value:
Straight incredible. I managed to get a commander size, series 70 design, under 30 oz and excellent reliability/accuracy all for under $700....yeah that's amazing. Aside from my own enjoyment of shooting this lightweight SR1911, I'm particularly glad Ruger is expanding their 1911 offerings to allow those with slightly lesser means to also enjoy a reliable 1911 (myself included, I don't have $3k to drop on a 1911).

Reliability:
The gun was fired with the stock ruger 7 round mags, WC 8 rd 47D and WC 10 rd mags. I have yet to test SD loads and have only fired one type of JHP. However, with my limited testing results so far...
100 rds Federal JHP 230gr, 100% reliable
100 rds Federal FMJ 230gr alum case, 100% reliable
150 rds Federal FMJ 230gr, 100% reliable
50 rds Fiocchi 230gr FMJ, 100% reliable
50 rds Lawman 180gr FMJ, 100% reliable

Final thoughts:
My only issue w this gun is the slightly low POI (which I can fix with new sights). Otherwise it's a champ. If you're looking for a lightweight (sub 30 oz) 1911, check out this little Ruger!

Pics:

photo 1.jpg photo 2.jpg photo 3.jpg photo c.jpg photo d.jpg photo 5.jpg

Attachments

• photo a.jpg
    photo a.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 213
  • photo b.jpg
    photo b.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
Very good, detailed review. Ruger really did get this one right it appears. Looks like I know where part of my income tax return will be going.

ok as requested i posted some side profile pics w slide closed (in battery).

I fondled a full size Ruger 1911 at a gun show this past weekend and I really liked how it looked and felt. It seemed to be significantly nicer than the slightly less expensive Rock Island stuff.

Good review! I scored a great deal on an SR1911 Commander a year ago. I love it! It's accurate, comfortable, reliable, and disappears in my IWB holster. Good to hear that the lightweight is a worthy follow-on.

The sight picture is plain Jane novak sights. Meh. The POI was a bit low for my taste (I prefer a 6 O'clock hold) which I attribute to what looks like a rather tall front sight.

Thanks for the review! I'd also like one of these, because my all-steel Government model is tiring to wear on a long day.

As for the portion I quoted, I do have a comment: a 6 o'clock hold is for target shooting. In a defensive gun use, there is typically a distinct lack of a black bullseye on the target.

Excellent review on a model that I didn't even know existed! I loved the full sized SR1911 I had, and have been wanting to replace it ever since I traded it off a couple years ago. I LOVE the look of this new model even though I'm generally averse to two tone guns. Definitely on my short list as it seems like it would make a decent carry option with the lighter weight frame.

Unless the pistol is specifically rated for +P rounds, I wouldn't try any. Especially with the aluminum frame.

Not going to cause a problem, not with the amount he probably won't be shooting through it. "Rated for +P" is a fake nostrum, frankly. There are very few modern firearms where you shouldn't run +P through them.

-Mike

Unless the pistol is specifically rated for +P rounds, I wouldn't try any. Especially with the aluminum frame.

The other SR1911's are rated for +P don't know why this one wouldn't be. BTW the Remington R1 is not.

Please see Mike's (Dr. Grant's post) he about sums it up. Do you really need +P in .45 ACP? Winchester makes a very nice hollowpoint that runs a little hotter than 230 grain ball but not exactly at +P pressure. @900-950 fps at the muzzle, should be adequate enough one would think.

Update on my experience with the SR1911 Commander Lightweight:

At this point the gun has just over 600 rounds fired, including everything from 230gr FMJ to 185gr JHP, steel, aluminum and brass cased. Overall I am very pleased with the performance although on the 2nd range trip I started using various magazines and pretty quickly noted that the gun was struggling with wilson combat magazines (8rd and 10rd WC mags). Basically that the last round in each WC magazine would either nosedive into the feed ramp or nose up with the bullet head sticking up adjacent the LCI cutout. Either way, it failed to feed on the last round ~25-30% of the time w the WC mags. It occurred with both FMJ and JHP with bullet shape having little effect.

At first I figured the issue was the feed ramp, so I gave it a thorough polishing along with the bottom half of the exterior chamber that contacts the bullet. This also had no effect on function, although it looked shiny!

After scratching my head, I finally compared the WC mags to factory ruger mags. It appears the "angle-of-feed" from the WC mags is substantially more shallow than other magazines (ruger, sig and S&W factory mags). Essentially the WC follower seems to provide less upward angle so the bullet hits lower on the feedramp. This phenomenon seems to only occur with the last round, as the penultimate round does not show such "change of angle" (see the pics below).

Honestly I'm surprised this relevant with the SR1911 given my experience with WC magazines in other 1911s has been 100% positive. I didn't bother getting my chip mccormick mags into this equation because honestly i can't stand those magazines.

Also I am unsure if this issue w WC mags and SR1911 lightweight is also relevant to the non-aluminum SR1911 models. Perhaps those of you out there have experience?

So I am no 1911 expert and am interested in others' experience with the WC mags - have any of you noticed similar issues? I am in no way bashing these mags - they are top notch quality and I still love them.

So far two modifications have been made to the gun:
1. Wilson Combat extended slide release, which allows my thumb to drop the slide forward without shifting my grip
2. Magpul grips (required minor dremel work to accommodate the extended slide stop)

Pics:

photo 2.jpg
One round in each magazine: Ruger OEM on Left, WC on Right

photo 4.jpg
One round in magazine: 2 Ruger OEM mags on Left, 2 WC mags on Right

photo 3.jpg
Two rounds in magazine: 2 Ruger OEM mags on Left, 2 WC mags on Right

photo 1.jpg
Pic w updated mods

Last edited:
Hi, Thank you for this great review. I've been considering this gun for a while now, and this was very helpful. My only point of reference for pistols is my Glock 23 in 40S&W, and I'm completely new to 1911's and 45ACP. I'm wondering if you could compare the SR1911 Lightweight CMD's recoil to any 40 S&W you may have fired? Also, any chance you could compare how this gun might perform for concealed carry vs. a G19 or G23? Just trying to get a feel for it against the only pistol I know. Thank you!

Hi, Thank you for this great review. I've been considering this gun for a while now, and this was very helpful. My only point of reference for pistols is my Glock 23 in 40S&W, and I'm completely new to 1911's and 45ACP. I'm wondering if you could compare the SR1911 Lightweight CMD's recoil to any 40 S&W you may have fired? Also, any chance you could compare how this gun might perform for concealed carry vs. a G19 or G23? Just trying to get a feel for it against the only pistol I know. Thank you!

I have the standar Combat Commander Style Ruger, let me say that if you are transitioning from a Glock to a 1911 style pistol you have to learn an entirely different manual of arms, and have to learn to take the pistol off safe when presenting it. Remember that it is estimated that you have to repeat a motion approx 5,000 times before it becomes integrated into muscle memory. A commander sized 1911 is great for concealed carry, but you have to dedicate yourself to practicing drawing and presenting. It is not like the Glock where you draw, aim, fire. 1911 draw, release safety, aim, fire, also you have to make sure you have engaged the grip safety, but that should not be a problem normally.

I have the standar Combat Commander Style Ruger, let me say that if you are transitioning from a Glock to a 1911 style pistol you have to learn an entirely different manual of arms, and have to learn to take the pistol off safe when presenting it. Remember that it is estimated that you have to repeat a motion approx 5,000 times before it becomes integrated into muscle memory. A commander sized 1911 is great for concealed carry, but you have to dedicate yourself to practicing drawing and presenting. It is not like the Glock where you draw, aim, fire. 1911 draw, release safety, aim, fire, also you have to make sure you have engaged the grip safety, but that should not be a problem normally.

Not that hard to do with a 1911. Hell I still sweep the safety off on a glock that isn't there. It won't take you 5000 times, having been there before. The fact that the lever sweeps down "like a gas pedal" makes it easy to disengage the safety.

-Mike

Not that hard to do with a 1911. Hell I still sweep the safety off on a glock that isn't there. It won't take you 5000 times, having been there before. The fact that the lever sweeps down "like a gas pedal" makes it easy to disengage the safety.

-Mike

I agree. That is why I will only buy guns that have a downward swept safety for the most part. Once you are used to that motion you don't even have to think about it, and it is good practice if your gun is equipped with a safety to actually use it so that it is natural, and you don't get surprised by an accidentally engaged safety at the wrong time!

I have used Wilson, McCormack, and the factory mags in both of my full size and my CMD model, never once had any issues. In fact the Wilson mags are the ones I carry every day.

Nice, I have the full size one and it works well. I have had some cases of bullets nosediving when using the CMC mags, however this hasn't happened lately and may have been due to insufficient crimp on my reloads, or an improperly lubricated follower.

I wish Ruger would make a 9mm 1911 like the springer range officer, and get it approved for MA.

I'm interested if anyone has any recoil comparisons against 40S&W pistols? I know that's a tall order, just hoping someone can provide some anecdotal comparisons for someone new to 45 ACP.

Also, has the trigger for the SR1911 (commander or otherwise) been modified for MA? It didn't appear to be a special MA-approved version of the SR1911. Can anyone explain if it's been altered from what is available in other states?

Much appreciated..

Back
Top Bottom