My humble review of Ruger SR1911 Lightweight Commander

Nice write up!

I love my Ruger SR1911 !! I do like the look of the grips, I might be looking into getting some.

Last edited:
I'm interested if anyone has any recoil comparisons against 40S&W pistols? I know that's a tall order, just hoping someone can provide some anecdotal comparisons for someone new to 45 ACP.

Also, has the trigger for the SR1911 (commander or otherwise) been modified for MA? It didn't appear to be a special MA-approved version of the SR1911. Can anyone explain if it's been altered from what is available in other states?

Much appreciated..

No such thing to the best of knowledge for a MA**hole trigger on any 1911. I'd guess my Ruger 1911 breaks @ 41/2 lbs from the factory. About the only thing it has is the MA**hole peep hole in the barrel, to see if there is a round in the chamber, but they all come that way. Free state and MA**hole models are the same guns...sometimes ya get a heavy trigger, but most that come thru are quite nice. Depends on what day the week and who was assembling them that day, I supposed, just like any other factory made product.

I've had a few issues with the gun failing to lock back on an empty mag, but that's been with McCormick shooting stars.

I had the same issues (on the Ruger 1911 full size) with the McCormick shooting stars. The CMC Power Mags, for reasons I can't recall, resolved the performance issues.

Any updated feedback, good and bad, on the Ruger CMD?

I'm interested if anyone has any recoil comparisons against 40S&W pistols? I know that's a tall order, just hoping someone can provide some anecdotal comparisons for someone new to 45 ACP.

Also, has the trigger for the SR1911 (commander or otherwise) been modified for MA? It didn't appear to be a special MA-approved version of the SR1911. Can anyone explain if it's been altered from what is available in other states?

Much appreciated..

I find the 1911 .45 recoil much less "sharp" than the .40, if that makes sense. A slower push.

Edit: Just realized this guy swooped in here 9 months ago, and disappeared! I hate it when people resurrect these old threads like they're new, and don't include a disclaimer stating such!

Last edited:
I had the same issues (on the Ruger 1911 full size) with the McCormick shooting stars. The CMC Power Mags, for reasons I can't recall, resolved the performance issues.

Any updated feedback, good and bad, on the Ruger CMD?

I sold it. was nice gun just didnt have much use for a commander lightweight since I aint carrying it.

my only beefs were
1. mushy thumb safety
2. OEM recoil spring too weak (I have this issue w many 1911's)
3. feed issues w some mags such as wilson combats...I believe this stems from internal extractor on the SR1911. factory ruger, checkmate and mecgars worked fine.

would still recommend it I'm just a fickle bitch when it comes to guns.

I sold it. was nice gun just didnt have much use for a commander lightweight since I aint carrying it.

my only beefs were
1. mushy thumb safety
2. OEM recoil spring too weak (I have this issue w many 1911's)
3. feed issues w some mags such as wilson combats...I believe this stems from internal extractor on the SR1911. factory ruger, checkmate and mecgars worked fine.

would still recommend it I'm just a fickle bitch when it comes to guns.

Thats weird with the wilsons, then again, I have seen that phenomena more than once before, guns either love them or completely hate them. The thumb safety thing doesnt surprise me, I can pick up 10 different sub 1K 1911s and the safeties will all feel a little different, but that can be resolved by either adjusting the fit or getting a replacement fit by a decent smith. (actually, if you know enough to be dangerous you could probably fit one yourself pretty easily. ).

-Mike

Thats weird with the wilsons, then again, I have seen that phenomena more than once before, guns either love them or completely hate them. The thumb safety thing doesnt surprise me, I can pick up 10 different sub 1K 1911s and the safeties will all feel a little different, but that can be resolved by either adjusting the fit or getting a replacement fit by a decent smith. (actually, if you know enough to be dangerous you could probably fit one yourself pretty easily. ).

-Mike

yes agree the safety issue can be easily smith'ed. mostly i didnt feel like dropping $$ into a cheap 1911. im at the point now where Im not interested in a 1911 without decent frontstrap checkering. for this and many other reasons I mostly shoot my sig 1911 TTT w some minor mods I absolutely love it. not the cheapest 1911 but the features are top notch.

yes agree the safety issue can be easily smith'ed. mostly i didnt feel like dropping $$ into a cheap 1911. im at the point now where Im not interested in a 1911 without decent frontstrap checkering. for this and many other reasons I mostly shoot my sig 1911 TTT w some minor mods I absolutely love it. not the cheapest 1911 but the features are top notch.

That's part of the reason I ended up getting a DW because getting the checkering is tough, and none of the cheap guns have it except maybe Sig and a couple of the S&Ws like the E-Series....

-Mike

I purchased a lightweight commander SR1911 about a month ago abd have carried it every day since. I also have the full size and regular commander version. The lightweight is my favorite. It has never had any failures, through over 600 rounds plus whatever the previous owner put through out.

I did change the grips for some magpul grips which I love.

It's been 100% reliable with powermags and the stock Ruger 7 and 8 round mags. I have even used the shooting star mags and had no problems.

The thumb safety IS too light, it disengages every once in a while with certain holsters, like my N8 2. I just use my alien gear holsters instead and it's ok.

Very accurate, slide is tight to frame but not too tight, it's been great so far, well worth the money.

Back
Top Bottom