My Glock cracked

You know, I've noticed some plastics are designed in such a manner that withing a certain passing of time they become brittle and start to crack.

Problem is this theory doesn't correlate well with glock frame crack issues. There are lots of Gen-1 17's out there with a bazillion rounds through them, and then suddenly some guy will have a much younger pistol with a fudd-grade round count (say 3000 rounds or less) that got a mysterious crack in it. I think these issues are probably some kind of quality control problems that took a long time to manifest themselves. Also, some Glock owners have never had frame cracks. I only own 5 Glocks now, but in the past I owned another 7 of them in addition to what I have now. I've had a few issues with a few of them, but I have never seen a frame crack in any of them.

-Mike

Yes they will, they are allowed to send back up to a gen3 frame. Had Gen g26, frame broke, they sent BRAND NEW gen3 frame back to me with letter stating old frame was destroyed.

Hopefully Glock will be able to find you a Gen2 or early Gen3 frame. I don't believe they send any newer frames to MA, even though it's legal.

Just beating the dead horse here. +1 on the AG letter that went to Glock saying Gen 3 frames are GTG for Warranty replacements in MA.

Now here's a question I have, will Glock warranty a stippled frame if it doesn't appear to have contributed to the problem?

Yes they will, they are allowed to send back up to a gen3 frame. Had Gen g26, frame broke, they sent BRAND NEW gen3 frame back to me with letter stating old frame was destroyed.

Any reason they wouldn't do a Gen4? (I don't know if they do or not)

Any reason they wouldn't do a Gen4? (I don't know if they do or not)

Probably because you would end up with a frankengun that's not really compliant with Glock's support regimen- You would have a gun they don't manufacture- a Gen(whatever) slide and barrel on a Gen4 frame, with a Gen 1/2/3 recoil system. Also, depending on what other kind of stuff is in play, you could potentially introduce other problems.

Glock is very particular about that. Anything non factory will get ripped out of the gun when it gets sent down for repair, except for possibly sights.

-Mike

Last edited:

Did they imbed the old serial number plate into the new frame ???
I believe this is allowed if they can document that the original frame bearing that serial number has been completely destroyed.
I've heard of other gun makers doing this in rare circumstances, such as when a gun is damaged beyond repair.
In places like NY, where the serial number of each gun you own is printed on your license, it's a huge benefit for the owner if he can get a factory replacement with the same serial number.

Well I wish I had talked to the same guy that you did. My G26 Gen 3 had an intermittent extraction problem that they couldn't reproduce in two trips to GA. They were willing to send me a new gun, but "couldn't" because MA. I finally talked them into replacing every single part except the frame and sending it back to me. Fixed the problem by the way.

I believe this is allowed if they can document that the original frame bearing that serial number has been completely destroyed.
I've heard of other gun makers doing this in rare circumstances, such as when a gun is damaged beyond repair.
In places like NY, where the serial number of each gun you own is printed on your license, it's a huge benefit for the owner if he can get a factory replacement with the same serial number.

I'm not sure that would work with a Glock. I was told that there is at least one other place that the serial number exists on a glock other than the embedded serial plate. I'm not sure how true that is and i've never bothered to look.

So for those more familiar with Glocks (or firearms in general than I, which is 99% of you), if that crack went unnoticed for awhile more, how much hurt would the OP be in for if he continued to shot and the crack really expanded (based off of where it was)? Thanks.

So for those more familiar with Glocks (or firearms in general than I, which is 99% of you), if that crack went unnoticed for awhile more, how much hurt would the OP be in for if he continued to shot and the crack really expanded (based off of where it was)? Thanks.

Good question. I'm not an armorer, but I would guess that if it opened up some you would start having trigger issues, since the trigger bar spans that crack.

Two months ago I sent three Gen 2 Glocks back to have them updated and the slides and barrels refinished. Sent in a G19, 20 and 21. Got a call from Glock a little over a week later saying the armorer didn't like the way the pins on the 20 and 21 locking block were fitting and told me both frames would be replaced with brand new Gen 3 frames under warranty. Got brand new Gen 3 frames with different serial numbers starting with the letter G and a letter stating that the Gen 2 frames were destroyed and new frames issued. All in all Glock customer service was awesome. Hope this helps.

No, I got a new frame with serial number starting with g followed by 6 numbers.

out of curiosity what if you own a ton of guns in NY?

Out of curiosity, does Glock have you send the complete gun back to them? Frame only? Stripped out frame?

AA

Back
Top Bottom