My First Russian M44

When I look back over the years of collecting Mosin Nagants, it's even a surprise to me that I've never owned a Russian M44 - until today. A local range buddy and NES member, NinerMaine, brought along his 1943 Izhevsk M44. After we put a handful downrange in a four inch pattern and then exchanged some dollars, I went home with it!

It has an unusual (?) number stamped on the back of the cocking knob. Very crudely machined war-time receiver, as can be seen by the tool marks on the tang. But overall, a fair refurbished representative specimen for the collection.

Anyway, enough blabbing about the gun. Pics, and thanks for looking.

IzhM44_001.JPG

IzhM44_002.JPG

IzhM44_003.JPG

IzhM44_004.JPG

IzhM44_006.JPG

He also gave me a prototype of one of his fast flush systems for corrosive ammo, which I demonstrated in my kitchen sink. After a couple minutes of hot water, I ran a drying patch, a Hoppes patch, and an oil patch. Clean as a whistle in 5 minutes. Pretty darned slick.

And on to the fast flush, with no water getting inside the action.

ant_hill_014.JPG

ant_hill_017.JPG

ant_hill_016.JPG

ant_hill_015.JPG

ant_hill_018.JPG

Nice rifle, I need to pick up a m44 I'm debating between that and a k98. That cleaning kit is also very cool definitely interested to see what happens with it.

Forum Running

I think that for $22 delivered, you can have one land in your lap. NinerMaine would have the details. Maybe he'll chime in, and he could also explain why he owned the M44 for as long as he did without ever firing it. It's a very kick-butt gun.

The numbers on the cocking knob are the last 2 digits of the SN...or at least should be.

My '44 m44 has the same feature. Knob has the last two digits of SN on it.

Nice rifle!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

The 43 Izzy is the first production run of the M44 models, there were supposedly only 50,000 made. Those along with 44 Tulas are the more rare years to look out for when collecting because Tula only made them for the year 1944. I have both and have thought about selling them but then I start thinking I'll regret it later.

A bunch were imported by a well known distributor a while back and were stamped on the side of the receiver. The really sought after types are the ones with small (if any) import stamps near the muzzle.

Enjoy that M44 Martin. I am not missing it that much yet but as the years go by and it becomes far more collectible I will probably miss it more. I still have my Tula M44. Besides, I now have my Savage 1907 paid for and it is a good feeling to have the savings account repaid.

As far as the cleaning devices go, I just got tired of trying to balance the rifle, the funnel and the water. I also got tired of having to strip the rifle afterwards when I would get water in the action and under the wood. I did several prototypes before finding the right fitting and the largest tube that will work well and give the greatest flow of water. It helps to have a friend with a $1800 drill press and centering jig to drill out the cases large enough to accept 3/8ths inch outside diameter tubing.

I put the first one together for about $20 with parts from the local hardware store. But as you can see from Martin's photos of the prototype I gave him the final product is much sleaker and uses an inside tube diameter of 1/4 inch which fills the bore of a 30 caliber rifle fully. The hardest part was finding the right fitting so I did not have to use reducer fittings to go from garden hose to 1/4 barb. I was able to find one place who made them and I had to buy bulk from them.. so I ended up with a lot more than I needed so I am selling off what I have left.

I got an adapter for my utility sink in my home so I can just hook it right up to the faucet. It also can be used outside with your garden hose for a quick and messless cleaning. You do have to be careful with how much pressure your garden hose puts out. The is no backwashing with normal household water pressures (at least for my house) but at some point of pressure it will begin to back wash. It can also be screwed onto a soda/water bottle at the range for cleaning right away. Most bottle threads seem to be close to garden hose. It will fit but there may be some dripping.

Here is a vid of me flushing the bore of my SMLE today with the garden hose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRKA5BNl2jc&feature=youtu.be

I will put up an ad in the classifieds here tomorrow with pics and more info.

Here some pics of the final version.

View attachment 29754View attachment 29753

When I clean mine, I usually just use a Poland springs water bottle. I hold the rifle muzzle down with a pan underneath and just pour into the chamber. Never had a problem with spillage really. Sometimes I remove the follower assembly and squeeze in paper towels to prevent spillage, but it's never been an issue.

I even do this at the range.

4c7f8cf1-9f2e-c202.jpg

Last edited:
When I clean mine, I usually just use a Poland springs water bottle. I hold the rifle muzzle down with a pan underneath and just pour into the chamber. Never had a problem with spillage really. Sometimes I remove the follower assembly and squeeze in paper towels to prevent spillage, but it's never been an issue.

I even do this at the range.

4c7f8cf1-9f2e-c202.jpg

Without going directly into the barrel you're most likely getting water in the threads between the receiver and barrel and possibly leaking out under leaving it trapped between the wood and receiver.

When I made this post years ago, http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/6140-Corrosive-ammo-clean-up-tools the reason was to have a device that prevented water from entering anywhere that couldn't be dried.

Go to the dollar store pick up a plastic funnel,it will fit right into the barrel.

Probably not as big of fireball as with an M44, but here is a friend of mine, shooting an Enfield No. 4 made into a carbine deer rifle.

[video=youtube_share;NPylxKwBYF4]http://youtu.be/NPylxKwBYF4[/video]

I had been holding off on the 762X54 caliber. did not really want another caliber.

I just ordered one Martin. You are a such a bad influence [wink]

I accept that badge, proudly. Then, I'll turn back and blame Fred for the Mosinitus influence.

Heck, why stop there? It was really Ray and his SKS affliction that got me started here at NES.

I must be missing something. I shot my M44 for the first time Sunday, and had no fire balls. Is it the ammo? I am new to the Mosin world.

It's tougher to see in bright sunlight. Try on an overcast day or as the sun is going down.

I was using Russian surplus...1977 dated.

Here's a friend with my M44...there was probably a flame ball with 80% of the shots

d01b44fd-b028-026a.jpg

It will happen to any gun if the lighting is just so. I was shooting my 03 Springfield at the November Appleseed shoot, and as dusk began to fall during the qualification runs there were a few fireballs. Interesting perspective from the shooter's end and not the side.

Then again a carbine is more likely to give a fireball due to the short barrel and higher chance of a little unburnt propellent.

MS

Back
Top Bottom