First post here

In the future, you don't have to disguise yourself with a sheet. Owning MilSurps is legal...

and Welcome!

1648523252902.png

Man I live in NY! You never know what's legal here and what's not. Better be safe than sorry!
Lol. You could be right! Nice collection and thanks for the pix... and a good sense of humor!
~Matt

Well now I have something to watch before bed time this morning! Thanks

Mishaco, C&Rsenal, Forgotten Weapons, InRange, Anvil Gunsmithing, and TGS Outdoors* are my go-to channels for old gun info. Depends on what your interests are. But the first five cover a very wide area of different old guns, each with a heavy emphasis on milsurps. Mishaco in particular is good for American gun market information because he's a blind FFL. Meaning he focuses on things like market conditions, R&D details, production history, and import history/laws.

*TGS Outdoors does have some videos on milsurp guns but he's a British gunsmith who spends 90ish percent of his time focused on shotguns. He's a great channel if you're trying to learn about old shotguns, particularly old Euro shotguns, but he's definitely not a milsurp rifle guy. Worth mentioning for his shotgun info, though.

I would also recommend buying and reading this book, especially because you're interested in Swedish, Finnish, and Swiss guns:

Amazon product ASIN 0393017664View: https://www.amazon.com/Deadly-Business-Cummings-Interarms-Trade/dp/0393017664

Sam Cummings and his company of Interarms was responsible for bringing in tons of surplus guns from Europe, like Swedish and Finnish guns. Or guns in storage in those particular countries, like Carcanos that were in storage in Finland after WW2. When you find things like un-import stamped Finnish Mosins or a SVT-40 or a AG-42, Interarms probably brought the gun in. Cummings eventually moved to Switzerland and Monaco and loved the gun culture there, which is mentioned in the above mentioned book.

If you're going to dabble in historic cartridges like 6.5x55 and 7.5x55 and 7.62x54r, you'll want to get into handloading, as well.

Since that book is out of print and $400-900, can I recommend interlibrary loan? There’s at least one copy at the Taunton library, I know because I borrowed it when I first got my C&R license.

Worldcat shows it at Worcester public library as well as many colleges: BC, Harvard, Northeastern, Bryant, UNH…

Last edited:
Since that book is out of print and $400-900, can I recommend interlibrary loan? There’s at least one copy at the Taunton library, I know because I borrowed it when I first got my C&R license.

Christ I didn't realize that lol, I bought it for $32.30 in October 2020. Yeah just find it on eBay or a used book website.

The cheapest used book website I can find in 4 long minutes of dedicated googling has it for $250.

I should have bought it back then, but I saw it for $80 and thought that was too much. It’s a great book though, tells you all about the piles of WW2 surplus and how Sam sold it to everyone, from hunters to Latin American dictators.

Back
Top Bottom