My daughter was kicked off the school bus

In for at least $20, but call comm2a and GOAL, if nothing else they may be able to help find a friendly lawyer local to you

Pm PayPal or post funding site...

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

There has to be something more to this other than a 7 year old girl saying her dad has guns on a school bus?

There has to be something more to this other than a 7 year old girl saying her dad has guns on a school bus?

Why exactly do you say that? I hardly find the scenario the OP has laid out to be unbelievable...in MA anyway.

They are looking to jam you up with the police and they are using your little girl to do it. Demand a prorated refund of any bus fee you paid and forget about it. Drive your little girl to and from school.

If you say anything to the administration or to the bus company you will be reported to the chief and he will more than likely take your license. If you cannot let it go then lawyer up and only let your lawyer have contact with the school/bus company. Keep your words to yourself and only communicate with your lawyer.

They are looking to jam you up with the police and they are using your little girl to do it. Demand a prorated refund of any bus fee you paid and forget about it. Drive your little girl to and from school.

If you say anything to the administration or to the bus company you will be reported to the chief and he will more than likely take your license. If you cannot let it go then lawyer up and only let your lawyer have contact with the school/bus company. Keep your words to yourself and only communicate with your lawyer.
How can the Chief take this man's LTC? He didn't do anything to warrant that!!!

You could be right. I am assuming this is Mass where they don't need a very good reason at all. Maybe when he talks to the principle he furrows his brow in disgust and the principle feels threatened. I would assume that would be enough in this commie state.

You have to fight this. Have the bus driver be present when you talk to the administration. If this does not work go to a school board meeting and then if that does not work take even further. Its up to you in the end but some fights have to be fought.

+1 - it is sad that I have to train my kids to treat the word "gun" like the a forbidden word because of all this visceral bullshit. To avoid having the PD show up for a show down, I have conditioned my kids (the best I can) to understand that people who work in schools are afraid of the word, despite no rational reason for it. I would get a copy of the policy, learn the entire thing, scrutinize the language and figure out if she actually did anything to violate it, then contact an atty.

Schedule an appointment to speak with school administration. If no resolution with that course, lawyer up.

First things first, reassure your daughter that she did absolutely nothing wrong, and that it's the school that is in the wrong here. You don't want her to go on thinking that she's done something bad, or even worse, that because of what the school said to her, she starts to think you're bad because you own guns. Once that's taken care of, then work on how you're going to deal with the school.

I'd be inclined to bring a lawyer to whatever meeting you have with the school admin. I certainly wouldn't go alone!

I would as well. This goes way beyond a normal and reasonable punishment. She's 7 years old. She was just talking about her Dad.

Mostly you want the lawyer there to make sure you don't say something detrimental to your case. They're experts at getting you to say things that can undermine your efforts.

In for $50 for legal fees. I hate sh*t like this.

Last edited:
I wouldn't walk into even an initial meeting without a lawyer. No one will be on your side except your family and the lawyer you've hired. I'm in for $50 if some sort of fund gets started.

Personally I'd like to hear a LOT more explanation on the administrations side as to this wacky decision that makes zero sense whatsoever. I'm hoping the resolution is "after more discussion, it was an over-reaction and she is back allowed on the bus and the matter is closed".

....if that fails, march in the streets, burn and loot local businesses, and block major highways.
(ok sorry maybe that's a bit much)

Couldn't disagree more. Punishment for what?

And it wasn't described as temporary anyway.
In the original post the punishment is described as being the rest of the year. Which if they are referring to the school year would be June. I'm not suggesting that she did anything wrong because she obviously didn't. I just think getting a lawyer wouldn't accomplish the simple task of getting her back on the bus any time soon. I've found when dealing with local governments and schools you just have to play the game better than they do. If he wants to make a statement about the school district's policies than he should be all means get a lawyer and pursue possible legal action. Otherwise, I'd go into a meeting and suggest her getting a ride isn't logistically possible an offer up some fake punishment that will never be followed through with.

Not ideal ,but it accomplishes the task without spending money on a lawyer.

Last week my 7yr old daughter was kicked off the school bus for the rest of the school year. Simply because she told one of the other kids that her daddy has guns. She didn't threaten or say this with any kind of malicious intent. I have since spoken to her about it. She didn't realize that it was such a big deal. She was more excited about it because I have been taking her to archery lessons at my local gun range and she saw a few guns.

Seems like more of a punishment to me because I have to drive her to and from school.

I'd like to go up the school and try and get her back on the bus.

Any thoughts / ideas / help

And that my friends is what you call an optimal reason for home schooling.

You might remind them of their legal obligations under Mass Gen. Laws and the Department of Education's own policy on the matter as it sound like we have some violations here:

"All children in grades kindergarten through six who reside more than two miles from the school they are entitled to attend and the nearest school bus stop is more than one mile from their residence and all children residing in regional school districts in grades kindergarten through twelve"

Or

"Drivers must not remove any child from a bus as a disciplinary measure."

"Suspension of a student from riding the bus must be administered by the proper authority, usually the school principal.

School principals must administer punishment when rule infractions are reported. Reports must be prompt, and punishment should be administered as soon as possible after it has been reported. All punishments must be reported to parents and noted on the copy of the Bus Behavior Report, which is returned and shown to the bus driver."

http://www.doe.mass.edu/finance/transportation/guide.html?section=policy

You might remind them of their legal obligations under Mass Gen. Laws and the Department of Education's own policy on the matter as it sound like we have some violations here:

"All children in grades kindergarten through six who reside more than two miles from the school they are entitled to attend and the nearest school bus stop is more than one mile from their residence and all children residing in regional school districts in grades kindergarten through twelve"

Or

"Drivers must not remove any child from a bus as a disciplinary measure."

"Suspension of a student from riding the bus must be administered by the proper authority, usually the school principal.

School principals must administer punishment when rule infractions are reported. Reports must be prompt, and punishment should be administered as soon as possible after it has been reported. All punishments must be reported to parents and noted on the copy of the Bus Behavior Report, which is returned and shown to the bus driver."

http://www.doe.mass.edu/finance/transportation/guide.html?section=policy

Sounds like Alinsky rule #4

“Make the enemy live up to its own book of rules.” If the rule is that every letter gets a reply, send 30,000 letters. You can kill them with this because no one can possibly obey all of their own rules.

There are a lot of "shoot from the hip" and righteous indignation responses to the original post. First, we don't know exactly what the daughter did say. It's pretty vague and sketchy. What was the context in which she said it, who reported it, and what is the policy regarding being denied bussing?. Second, coming to an internet forum is not the most judicious course of action, because it wouldn't take much to put two and two together and figure out the school, the student and the incident if indeed in the unlikely possibility that someone with a vested interest is actually monitoring this Forum, you have just shared this potentially with 16,000 of your BFFs. Third, it's a matter of priorities, it's the holiday season, don't have the money for an attorney, better reprioritize, maybe no Christmas this year...you should get legal advice, if nothing else max out your credit card if you have to, this is far more important than Christmas presents...what aren't you getting. LenS has presented the worst case scenario which is what you have to be prepared for. This might be a misunderstanding that can easily be arbitrated and resolved or it might be something that could lead you down a much darker path. Somebody said something, and somebody else said something and somehow or another this whole thing got blown out of proportion more than likely, but it doesn't matter what really happened because it is the perception of what happened, not the event itself that's going to be the issue and the OP has to be prepared. The advice you get on this forum is worth exactly what you paid for it...except for see an attorney and be prepared, don't rant or rave about your 2A God Given Rights either, don't fall into a trap where you look like a fool. Get sound legal advice and damn the cost.

Last edited:

If you believe this you just don't understand what "suitability" and "discretion" means in MGL C. 140. The chief (as of this date) can suspend/revoke for any reason he/she likes . . . even the color of your hair literally can be used as a reason.

You could be right. I am assuming this is Mass where they don't need a very good reason at all. Maybe when he talks to the principle he furrows his brow in disgust and the principle feels threatened. I would assume that would be enough in this commie state.

Indeed.

The real reason for the attorney is NOT to sue, but to ensure that nothing the Father says can be twisted to make matters worse, serve as an impartial witness when the admin/police claim that they feel threatened by the behavior of the Daughter or Father, etc. And if the situation ends up devolving into a real legal matter, it gives the Family a lot more credibility than the one-sided information that the school admin will spew forth.

Given that the whole situation involves "g-g-g-un", you can be certain that the SRO or another police officer will be present at the request of the school admin and a report forwarded to the PD for whatever action they choose to take as well. Plus a record of the "incident" will be in the Daughter's permanent school record, which could be used against her years later in school or for college applications.

This has to be stopped and NOW! And only an attorney can help the Family ensure that their rights (all of them) are protected.

If you believe this you just don't understand what "suitability" and "discretion" means in MGL C. 140. The chief (as of this date) can suspend/revoke for any reason he/she likes . . . even the color of your hair literally can be used as a reason.

No, I don't understand any of it, that's why I moved out of MA!!!

Set up the Go Fund Me or whatever for the lawyer, in for $20. The news angle sounds good too, by their own admission there was no "threat" stated by your daughter. They're punishing you for your daughter conveying to another student about lawful ownership of property.

There are a lot of "shoot from the hip" and righteous indignation responses to the original post. First, we don't know exactly what the daughter did say. It's pretty vague and sketchy. What was the context in which she said it, who reported it, and what is the policy regarding being denied bussing?. Second, coming to an internet forum is not the most judicious course of action, because it wouldn't take much to put two and two together and figure out the school, the student and the incident if indeed in the unlikely possibility that someone with a vested interest is actually monitoring this Forum, you have just shared this potentially with 16,000 of your BFFs. Third, it's a matter of priorities, it's the holiday season, don't have the money for an attorney, better reprioritize, maybe no Christmas this year...you should get legal advice, if nothing else max out your credit card if you have to, this is far more important than Christmas presents...what aren't you getting. LenS has presented the worst case scenario which is what you have to be prepared for. This might be a misunderstanding that can easily be arbitrated and resolved or it might be something that could lead you down a much darker path. Somebody said something, and somebody else said something and somehow or another this whole thing got blown out of proportion more than likely, but it doesn't matter what really happened because it is the perception of what happened, not the event itself that's going to be the issue and the OP has to be prepared. The advice you get on this forum is worth exactly what you paid for it...except for see an attorney and be prepared, don't rant or rave about your 2A God Given Rights either, don't fall into a trap where you look like a fool. Get sound legal advice and damn the cost.

The school should have an incident report that spells out exactly what she allegedly said.

Back
Top Bottom