My bow is broken

Viper22

NES Member
I went to the local archery shop today to get my bow restrung for the upcoming season. Not two minutes into talking with the bow tech at the shop, he noticed a crack in one of the limbs of my bow. THIS SUCKS!!![angry][angry][angry]

Its an older Browning Cobra, and its a one piece design, so I can't just replace a limb. He advised me not to restring the bow, and just keep it for a wall hanger. Now I've got to scrape together some $$$ to get a new bow setup in time for this fall.

The shop I was at didn't have much for bows under $500.....My price range is well under that. Are there any shops around Western/Central MA that have a decent entry level (read budget) or used selection?

Thanks.

Wow, that is an old bow, I remember those Cobra's - my buddy had one from his college days (~1982). You got a lot of yrs out of it so it doesn't owe you anything, LOL. Only problem I can see is if you are a finger shooter or a release shooter. You need a longer bow for fingers otherwise these short axle short brace height speed demons won't help your groups. Newer bows shoot WAY flatter than your Cobra, too.

There were some righty bows for sale in the classifieds:

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...lly-unused)-condition!?highlight=compound+bow

It was my uncles bow for a long time, then he gave it to me about 15 years ago. Its been sitting since then, with me shooting it only a handfull of times. The few times I have shot the bow I did not use a release....I don't have much experience to go on, so making the switch to a release won't be difficult.

The one in the classifieds is nice, but I'm thinking the draw length is too long for me. I'm looking for a 26-27" draw with a 60lb draw weight.

Viper22
I have a back up bow, it's an older compound,65# 60%, but was just restrung and is set up with a drop rest. I totaly understand the budget thing, if your stuck, you can borrow my back up rig this season till you get set up. I have some GG aluminum arrows with 125gr Muzzys that are tuned for it.

Sorry about your bow. My first bow was a browning xceleror that had what seemed to be an 80 lbs pull. Upgraded to a new pse and was amazed by the difference. I later sold the pse after I fell of a roof and shattered my shoulder and I figured I would never bow hunt again.

Well now I am looking for a bow as I am all better now. Let me know what your looking at I went to cabelas in Windsor and they had some great deals in the closeout section. Good luck

The best deal I've found so far in my pricerange was online. It was a Martin Threshold package deal with 2 arrows, rest, pin sights, and quiver....for $219 shipped. 60 to 70lb draw at 29" draw length. Adjustable cam, so I can probably bring it down to 27"

Thanks for the offer JohnFH and Mil-Dot. I'll keep it in mind.

Last edited:
Do you shoot with a release? If so I have a older Mathews that might work. It is set at 25" (I think and can check if interested) + a 1" loop and that can get you 26" but if you need close to 27" it wont.

I have a Bear compound with a 50lb draw that I bought from a friend back in the late 90's and never hunted with. beside shooting it maybe 2 dozen times, it has been collecting dust.. It has the 3 pin sight, and a quiver attatched. I don't know a lot about bows, but it seems fine to me. I am in Townsend, not sure where you are. I will sell for cheap or even trade for anything cool you might have if interested.

I am sorry to hear about your bow but at least you have enough time to get set up before the season. You can try calling Paul Banas at Arrow Speed in Chicopee (413.536.8810) he is a fair guy and usually has a few used bows in the shop. Plan on being there for a while though. He loves to talk.

Bob

Stopped in at Archery Plus today and talked to Brett. While I didn't buy anything, I walked out with much more knowledge than I walked in with. The big discussion we had was about used bows. He does not sell used bows at the shop, and from what he explained, for good reason. We also priced out getting a new bow & complete setup. While I don't have that much $$ right now, it would be an option in the future.

So for now, I'm in search of a lower end bow. I do realize it won't be as smooth as if I bought one of the bows at Archery Plus, but for just getting into the sport I'm ok with getting a lower end bow.

The search continues. Maybe next week I'll stop by Arrow Speed.

Looks like you can't beet that not for that money. Will definitely get you through at least this year and more if you chose not to upgrade right away.

Bass Pro has some really nice bow's for reasonable money. They do have the high end stuff too, but they do carry a good line of bows in the store and they will help you out. Seems the archery area has been getting better lately.
I have seen decent package deals for under $500.

True. The latest flyer in the mail shows a few package deals I might be able to afford.

I picked up a bow at DSG today. Still need to get arrows and a release.

The bow is a Martin Monster Buckhunter. 45 to 60lb draw with a 25 to 29 draw length. 310 IBO. Comes with peep, nock, 3 pin fiber optic sight, quiver, and is camo....IIRC Realtree APG. Quick google research shows the Monster Buckhunter as a renamed Martin Cheetah. I ended up getting the bow for $279. Originally it was $369.

I picked up a bow at DSG today. Still need to get arrows and a release.

The bow is a Martin Monster Buckhunter. 45 to 60lb draw with a 25 to 29 draw length. 310 IBO. Comes with peep, nock, 3 pin fiber optic sight, quiver, and is camo....IIRC Realtree APG. Quick google research shows the Monster Buckhunter as a renamed Martin Cheetah. I ended up getting the bow for $279. Originally it was $369.

I am glad to hear that you are all set for this season. You still have plenty of time to get it tuned and dialed in.

Bob

Got it tuned today and bought a Cobra release, Easton CarbonStorm arrows, and some other crap...Shot the bow a few times before the mosquitoes drove me inside....

I'll have to mess with the sight a little tomorrow.

Good for you. I need to dig mine out and take some shots. I haven't shot sense this spring I have waxed the string and such but haven't shot. Good luck knocking em down this year.

Back
Top Bottom